Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
nmcqueen469

ADIPA/Mad Dog IPA crossover options

I'm getting ready to brew up a batch of IPA this week and I'm looking for a little direction as far as what to use from my stock of goodies.

I currently have the Mad Dog IPA refill, which consists of:
1 Can Cowboy Golden Lager HME
1 Can Mellow Amber UME
1 Packet Northern Brewer Pellet Hops
1 Packet Columbus Pellet Hops
1 Packet Cascade Pellet Hops.

I also have 2 cans of the ADIPA HME, along with plenty of booster.

What sort of recommendations do you guys have as far as combining parts of these recipes? Should I just stick with the Mad Dog recipe? How about swapping/adding in some of the ADIPA HME?

How about hop boiling times? The MDIPA instructions say to boil the Northern and Columbus for 5 minutes and to toss the Cascades in before you seal it all up.

Thanks in advance for any advice given. The hoppier, the better!

The 5 minute hops boil is going to only give you aroma and little to no flavor or bitterness. If you want a little flavor from them try uping the boil to 15 minutes.

As far as adding the cascades in at the begining of fermentation, I would wait a week and then add them. This is going to give you more aroma from them and less chance of getting a grassy taste that can occur by leaving them in wort too long.

But hey in the long run it's your beer and you should do as you see fit! Good luck and post the results!! :)

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the same as you, go 15-20 on the boil and add the Cascades with a week to go in the fermentation.

Anyone else have any input on which HME/UMEs to use?

I haven't brewed either one before by themselves.

I think I'll go with the Mad Dog first, then the ADIPA once my Novacaine LBK opens up.