Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jimbazo

3-2-2 Rule

What is the 3-2-2 rule? I'm a newbie and see this everywhere but with no explaination. I'm trying to fill my small brain with as much beer brewing knowlegde. This is a fun hobby that could turn into a brewing addiction.....At least I hope!!! :woohoo:

3 weeks fermentation, 2 weeks carbonation at a similar temperature, 2 weeks conditioning at either the same temperature or a bit lower

Yep. That nails it.

Except to mention that the final 2 should actually be 2+, since the beer will likely improve with a little more warm conditioning. But it will be drinkable and quite enjoyable at 3-2-2.

Once you get your pipeline built up, you'll be enjoying beer that's conditioned for a couple of months, and really seeing how much of a difference it makes.

alright, i get the 3 and the first 2 but.. so all you do is move the bottles to a slightly lower temp for another 2. Now Fedora Dave you said 2+ and spoke of more warm conditioning. Which is it? And sorry for this stupid question but what is my pipeline? lol sorry!

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center Jimbazo. You will be assimilated. Resistance is quite futile: We have beer.

You'll find the answers to that in the simple guide line sticky. I'm told it's a easy read. Just keep the new bottles at the same temp you fermented them at and you should do just fine.

The 3-2-2 started as 2-2-2, where the third 2 was in the fridge. For a variety of reasons, the third 2 ended up changing from refrigerator time to room temperature time. Then the first 2 changed to a 2-3 and has slid all the way to 3 for many brewers. I think there are also a few who go 3-3-3.

But even though there's no real difference between the last two 2s now, there was when the rule started.

Jimbazo wrote:

alright, i get the 3 and the first 2 but.. so all you do is move the bottles to a slightly lower temp for another 2. Now Fedora Dave you said 2+ and spoke of more warm conditioning. Which is it? And sorry for this stupid question but what is my pipeline? lol sorry!

To answer the easy one first, your pipeline is just the beer stock that you'll build up as you get a few batches under your belt. It'll make the wait easier once you've got a few homebrews to have while your new batches ferment and condition.

As to the other part, generally, your beers will improve with age. The longer you give them at the fermenting temp, the more the yeast will clean up off flavors, and all the flavors will blend better. Four weeks is generally the minimum, 2 for carbonation, and two to just condition. Again, more time at room temp usually leads to better beer. Then, when you're ready, a week in the fridge will help really settle the beer and clear it up some.

Hope that helps, I'm still learning a lot around here too!

What effect does cold conditioning have? I had opted for cold conditioning (at about 3 weeks currently)...shall I pull them out of the fridge and put them into dry storage for better flavor?

Mr_Derek wrote:

What effect does cold conditioning have? I had opted for cold conditioning (at about 3 weeks currently)...shall I pull them out of the fridge and put them into dry storage for better flavor?

If you had them at room temperature for at least two weeks before refrigerating them, there's no need to pull them out.

Jimbazo wrote:

Bramstoker17 did address this, but since you asked me directly, I might as well chime in.

You needn't move the bottles at all after bottling. I have a long bench and a set of shelves in my basement. That's my brew room. My kegs sit on the bench and ferment for three weeks. Then I bottle my beer and set them on the shelves a few feet away. They sit there for four weeks, at the same temperature at which they fermented (usually in the mid-60s). After four weeks in the bottle, I bring them upstairs and put them in a closet near the beer fridge, along with all the other beer I brought up there previously. They now become part of the pipeline; my drinkable beer supply. Because my pipeline is quite full now, I may put a couple of bottles of the new beer in the fridge, so I can see how it turned out. But I'll mix the rest of the beer in with the pipeline so they're added to the fridge sort of randomly. It may be a couple of months before I drink the last bottle of any batch, and often the flavors continue to blend and mellow out over that time. But the beer is drinkable and enjoyable after 3-2-2.

Jimbazo wrote:

What is the 3-2-2 rule? I'm a newbie and see this everywhere but with no explaination. I'm trying to fill my small brain with as much beer brewing knowlegde. This is a fun hobby that could turn into a brewing addiction.....At least I hope!!! :woohoo:

Welcome aboard the MB Borg train. It is a fun ride. I am still a newbie learning something new every time I read the board. These guys are great for advice through experience. To me, this is an addiction that will be a fun hobby! Again, welcome aboard. :cheers:

Hello Jimbazo,

Fellow newbie here. As I am also new, I can't really tell you what's right, but I can share my experience and what I think I have learned.

The first time I heard of an x-x-x rule was from the MrBeer Fans FAQ(really worth a look for any newbie).
It says...
2-2-2
Despite what the Mr. Beer mix instructions may say, your beer will not be ready in two weeks. Good beer is an exercise in patience. Rush it and you'll have watery, cidery, flat, disappointing beer. This is the #1 reason why Mr. Beer gets a bad name. For beginner Mr. Beer users making ales (the only kind of yeast Mr. Beer includes with their kits), we strongly recommend 2 weeks fermenting at 65-75 degrees, 2 weeks carbonating in the bottles at 65-75 degrees, and 2 weeks cold conditioning at fridge temps. 2-2-2. You'll hear it over and over on the board because it's the single best thing you can do for your beer. Oh, can't get all your bottles in the fridge at once? No worries. Get in what you can and "rotate" the stock. When you drink one, toss a warm one in the back to begin conditioning.

However, from reading this forum, I have personally working under the 3-4-1 plan. By that I mean:
[ul]
[li]3 - Three weeks fermenting in the LBK in the fermentation closet. Fermentation could be done sooner, but without a hydrometer reading 3 weeks is a fail safe to make sure fermentation is complete and you don't have bursting bottles later.[/li]
[li]4 - At least four weeks carbonating and conditioning in bottles in the fermentation closet[/li]
[li]1 - At least one week in the bottle in the fridge[/li]
[/ul]
For the resident guru's, I would be happy to hear from the experts if I have distilled the knowledge from the board properly.

Hope this helps.

Sam

With a standard refill, one can of HME and booster, there's normally no need to go past 2 weeks in the LBK (so 2-2-2). Once you start brewing with more malts/fermentables, then the time in the LBK should be extended to 3 weeks (3-2-2).

A buddy did two batches same time one 3 weeks in keg, other 2 weeks in keg and did taste the 4th week the "3 week" was on both.

2 weeks keg + 5 weeks in bottle -vs- 3 weeks keg + 4 weeks in bottle. The 3 week one was better.

So I do 3 weeks, even if Hydro says done earlier

--- edit ---

Should add this was with only one pack yeast (2g) each and the CGL refill

He did have them in fridge for 1 week too so was really 8 weeks after he brewed both.

I believe that with only 2g yeast it takes longer to clean up.

welcome to the borg!!!! and I usually follow the 3-3-3 rule, but thats because im patient :laugh: You will find what works for you, and what you like doing :barman:

I just put half of my first batch into the fridge for cold conditioning.
The waiting is the hard part!

So 1/2 the batch will be 2-2-2 and the other half will be 2-4-2

I'm going to do it this way to see if I notice a difference!