Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Gods Country Brewer

Which grains should I steep ?

I have 3 recipes on hand and am asking which grains should I steep, how much grains, and in how much water ?

1. Big Ed's Red
2. Old Uncle Arnold
3.Jazzberry Ram

Thanks
Steve (GCB)

Steep the Specialty grains...some, but not all unless you want to...in a lot of water

Steeping usually is done in water with a ratio of 1gal per pound of grain, but more water can be done without issue. I'd suggest about a half pound to start (thats total so maybe 1/4lb of carapils and 1/4 of 80L for the Red)

I am assumning these are MrB size

GCB,

A newbie here as well. From what I can see, the most common and most usable grain for steeping is crystal.

However, it all depends on what you are trying to add to your beer. Since all your beers are pale ales ( I think.) Black patent malt and chocolate might not fit the style you are trying to go for. Perhaps Old Uncle Arnold, but I think that would be changing the beer a bit.

CarPils is safe in just about anything as it will add body and head retention, but very little to no flavor or coloring

My first couple of times I used 4 oz of 20L crystal to be conservative. In attempt to impart some sweetness as well as body and head retention without impacting the color too much.

However, as mnstarzz13 says 1/2lb seems to be a common amount for Mr.Beer sized recipes.

That's kind of a broad question, do you have any thoughts on what you're looking to add to those recipes? Body, flavor, color, head/lacing? You can't hurt anything by steeping some carapils/carahell/carafoam. You could also do a light crystal malt. Much beyond that I think you need to have an idea of what you want the end result to be so you can choose a grain(s) that will help you get there.

Cheers!

mnstarzz13 wrote:

Steeping usually is done in water with a ratio of 1gal per pound of grain, but more water can be done without issue. I'd suggest about a half pound to start (thats total so maybe 1/4lb of carapils and 1/4 of 80L for the Red)

I am assumning these are MrB size

+1

I use about half a gallon of water for an LBK sized batch...

Bring it up to 165-170*F

Turn the heat OFF.

Add up to a half pound of the cracked grain mix of your choice in a muslin sack...
(leave some room in it for good water flow)

Drop the grain bag in and wait 30 minutes or so... The temp will drop, with optimal steping at around 155-158*F...
(you can dunk it like a teabag part way through if you want to)

At the end of 30 minutes, pull the bag, give it a gentle squeeze or three and remove it.

Use that resulting liquor with your extracts as normal.

I like 4- ounces of a dextrine malt for head retention and lacing... CaraPils, CaraFoam or CaraHell all work fine. (slight color differences between them)

A few ounces of Crystal 10-120, (higher numbers are darker and the flavors change as you get darker) can be good in some styles...

As KZ said, for other styles and other grain, you kind of have to know what you want to achieve or be willing to experiment and see what you get...

Here's a good chart to help you decide...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Malts_Chart