Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dusterhoff

granulated sugur vs corn sugar

Hello all, I am getting ready to brew my next batch and thinking about the bottling already, so in the instructions it says to use white granulated sugar but I have read that corn sugar is best for priming before bottling and I plan to get some and use that instead of the white granulated. So my question is: are the amounts shown for the sugar for priming for bottling the same no matter what sugar I use or will the amounts vary depending on the type??? Also going to try a priming solution instead of adding the sugar to the bottles themselves, is this a better way to do it??? Once again I have read that it is better than adding the sugar to the bottles. Thank you for your help.

have you ever thought about using Cooper Carbonation Drops to prime your Bottles...No Mess NO Fuss...
i am about to bottle my 3rd batch of Nut Brown Ale and i am going to
use them .

some have gone the "drops" rout. Depending on the type you use depends on if you'll have problems or not. I think the coopers were "trouble" free.
You can use corn sugar to prime with, it's good stuff. Use Screwy's primer calculator if how much you should use. I've never used it, but knowing screwy, it's gotta be good. There is a minor dif between the corn and table sugar, so pay attention. Have a great Beer....er, um, Day.

Both refined and corn sugar will carb your beer and Screwy Brewer's calculator will keep the amount of sugar balanced. Don't limit yourself to one or two types of sugar though. There is brown sugar, honey, molassis and others. You can add some slight flavor changes by using different sugars. Have fun and brew hoppy.

As others have mentioned, you could use a calculator like our own Screwy Brewer's Bottle Priming Calculator. It will give you amounts for different priming agents. I batch prime all since that first brew, and I exclusively use table sugar (sucrose), except when I've brewed a kit that already came with corn sugar (dextrose). I can't tell the difference in the finished product, but I can buy table sugar in bulk.