Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
alb

Mini-kegs

If I were to start kegging into those mini-kegs like the ones that go in these:

http://mini-keg.net/mini-keg-dispensers/

Is it possible to close the tap, take out the keg, and put it back in at a later date? Or would I lose the carbonation?

For that price range, you can get a regular kegging system. Even one with a 2.5/3 gallon keg.

I looked at those too but quickly decided it wasn't worth it for me. I don't have the space for a kegerator or even the large 5 gallon corny kegs but I did get a 2.5 gallon mini-keg that I know I can fit in one of my fridges.
Many places have them online and I got mine from Midwest but some just raised the price by about $20 (right after I got mine).
These are pretty simple to use as well as clean.

Thanks, I may go with that. Would I be able to remove the tap, close the keg, and re-tap it later?

These kegs usually come with the small, C02 cartridges that are used ONLY to push out the beer and NOT for carbonation. They are primed like any other beer and the tap is very simple to remove. The unit is very easy to clean.
It uses ball locks and you can remove them without any problem without harming the beer. They snap on and pull off. 1 side (in) is for the C02 to be injected and the other side (out) is for the tap.
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/2-5-gallon-mini-draft-system-new-keg.html

Beer-lord wrote:

These kegs usually come with the small, C02 cartridges that are used ONLY to push out the beer and NOT for carbonation. They are primed like any other beer and the tap is very simple to remove. The unit is very easy to clean.
It uses ball locks and you can remove them without any problem without harming the beer. They snap on and pull off. 1 side (in) is for the C02 to be injected and the other side (out) is for the tap.
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/2-5-gallon-mini-draft-system-new-keg.html

So ideally you would need three or four of these to keep the pipeline going? :)

Can you still force carbonate if you wanted to? I didn't anything in that regard.

I'm new at this myself and don't have the $$$$ or space for too many of these though I hope to add one or more as time goes on. If I had both, I'd get a used fridge or kegerator and get the 5 gallon corny kegs as it's just less work.
I can't say with certainity but I think you can force carbonate these kegs just like the corny. I doubt you'd have to change anything but as they are thinner material, I really don't know. However, Midwest folks are great to talk to and they even have an live help during business hours and the few times I've used it, they were very helpful.

Watch craigs list for a lightly used one. I recently "just missed" one for $45. :(

It would have been fun to play with for that proice.

I don't think you can force carb with this one. I'm considering getting one though.

depending on where you live call up your local united refrigeration warehouse and ask the counter guys if they know anyone who builds them on the cheap. chances are they do!!!!

Elsteve-o wrote:

depending on where you live call up your local united refrigeration warehouse and ask the counter guys if they know anyone who builds them on the cheap. chances are they do!!!!

Builds what? Kegerators?

The mini-kegerators shown in the first post use mini-kegs. These small kegs can not be force carbed, they require CO2 only to force the beer out of the keg without adding oxygen. They are nice but I have yet to get the carbing correct, either too little or too much. If you go to Midwest and go to mini-keg they have several types. I have one mini-keg that has been conditioning for about 6 months and I plan to tap it next month, hopefully I have the carbination right on this keg. Be sure to check how any mini-kegerator handles CO2 for dispensing the beer.