Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dustin

Dry hop

I have an IPA in primary right now and once the majority of fermentation takes place I was going to dry hop with 2oz of Columbus Hop pellets. My question is since this is the first time I have dry hoped do I just pour the pellets in the beer as is or can I or should I use a hop sack?

I would assume it really would not matter I just wanted to check.

You can do either but I usually prefer a sanitized hop sack, especially since you want to add it with much of the fermentation over. Some think you'll get a clearer beer too though I could care less if it's clear, as long as it tastes good.

Doesn't really matter either way. Some like to weigh down the sack as well so it is submerged, not floating.

I've done both. I'm starting to lean towards going commando, since my 6 gallon better bottle has a very narrow opening that makes it quite a pain to stuff a hop sack into.

I too have changed my drop hop method to tossing the pellets in the keg. I can get a better spreed of the hops over the top of the wort. The hops then sink.
I have used the weighted hop sack, but that is sort of a pain. Since I might have a few kegs I need to drop hop, I found the commando method easy and have not noted any difference in hop aroma.

The most I dry hop is 1/2 oz. I dry hop keg date + 7 days.

I agree with vm. I actually have been using a hop sack recently but when I don't have one I have no problem tossing them in commando. Also 2 ounces is kind of a lot. The most I've done is about 1 oz in 2.5 gallons I(with Colombus) [EDIT: I don't really know why I said that; in my 10% ABV IIPA, I did dry hop about 2 oz, although it was in two staggered steps...but 1 oz or less is the most I've used for everything else that's not so extreme]. It's not unheard of to dry hop at that rate but I think you'll get what you're looking for with 1 oz or even a little less.

I've never used a hop sack. Seems like extra work cause you have to sanitize it. I have however had a plugged spigot once (probably from hops) that was no fun.

I use one of those large tea balls. If you get 2 or 3 of those will hold an ounce of hops. Just toss them in some boiling water for a few minutes, take 'em out, let 'em cool, fill with hops and drop 'em in the keg. They're metal so they sink. Plus they are large enough that you can still bottle with them insiude the keg without them getting into the tap.

Thanks everyone and just for the record this is a 5 gallon batch which is why I'm using 2 oz of Columbus.

Awesome! That should be delicious. I'm drinking my Colombus-dry hopped IPA now and it's great. The recipe called for something like .6 oz but I upped it to 1 oz/2.5 gallon and it smells awesome.