Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Blatzman

First attempt at steeping grains

I just moved my batch to the fridge for a cold crash before bottling. As usual, I tried a little taste and....WOW! I made the Northern Brewer Dry Irish Stout recipe. It calls for steeping dark roasted (English) barley for 20 min.

The taste difference is in-frickin-credible. I am amazed. If this is any indication, I see steeping grains in the future of all my brews. :stout:

Guest System Admin

I held off steeping for some stupid reason. Now I want them in every brew if not to add flavor but much better body than all extract beer

I've done this one a couple times, it's one of my top favorites!

Once you start steeping grains you're on a slippery slope towards all grain. :cheer:

KZ wrote:

Once you start steeping grains you're on a slippery slope towards all grain. :cheer:

You say that like it's a bad thing.... :dry:

KZ wrote:

Haha god ain't that the truth, genotype got my steeping grains on our co-lab brew and now I'm buying new pots, converting coolers, loosing my marbles.

I would take the blame with pride, though I'm pretty sure you were already well on your way.

Beersmith has a great chart that tells you if a grain can be steeped or should be mashed. I've got to try it as well. The flavor from my first WCPA was ok before pitching the yeast, but nothing to write home about. We'll see after it's ready, but I'm thinking average wort in will probably equal average beer out.

Trollby wrote:

I held off steeping for some stupid reason. Now I want them in every brew if not to add flavor but much better body than all extract beer

I was the same way also, yes it takes a little more time brewing, but makes for better beer. I really don't like brewing a batch anymore without out atleast steeping some CaraPils