Sign in to follow this  
Skelly

That "Other Beer Kit" Grand Experiment

I've been following the threads for TBM and several questions keep coming up:

What does a plain mix taste like?
What's the hop profile?
What's the OG, FG?
Misc yeast questions...

As of today, no one has posted about tasting a plain kit. I usually don't like to mess with a base kit until I know what I'm starting with, so I just mixed up the following four mixes with the included yeast:

Golden Lager
OG 1.045
Yeast label Ale 3GM 514110 BB Nov 09
Mix expiration 8/15/13

Dutch Lager
OG 1.045
Yeast Label Ale 3GM 514108
Mix expiration Sept 2012

Canadian Red Lager
OG 1.047
Yeast Label BB 5/12 B Ale 514114
Mix expiration 11/2015

Nut Brown Ale
OG 1.045
Mix expiration 11/2015

Boiled 6 cups of water, let it cool down enough so that I could stir in the mix without clumping, then added cold water to bottom of the Q

All yeast pitched @ 70 degrees
Will be fermenting at room temp of 64 degrees
Probably will do a 2-2-2, but will check with hydrometer

And away we go!! :lol:

Resize_of_PICT0053.png

Just out of curiosity, has anyone else noticed how the yeast expiration is supposedly around three years before the mix expiration?

What's up with that?

i'm thinking the yeast expiration date of nov 09 is not year 09 but day 09. just brewed my american brown ale w/ expiration date of sept. 2012 with yeast dated nov 09 i dont think they would put 09 yeast in a kit that expires 2012 just sayin cheers

oh by the way, brewed on mon 3/5 no activity on tues. was worried a bit but on wed. 3/7 foam to the top of the LBK and whirling yeasties

And you call Cabelas about the yeast expiration and they will ship you out a 3 pack of lager mix to replace the "expired" yeast, They are really trying to rid themselves of all that Beer Machine mix left over from Christmas (which year - I don't know). B)

oh by the way, brewed on mon 3/5 no activity on tues. was worried a bit but on wed. 3/7 foam to the top of the LBK and whirling yeasties

+1
for brewing by the kit suggestions. I made a 4.5 gallon batch with two kits. Funny to read the posts and see everyone say "I followed the directions exactly BUT I added...."
We need more tests of the kit alone IMO to see what we've got. Just by the smell, it's very malty. Mine was the Canadian Red and I have a variety of about 16 other bags. I think it can be good beer.
Can't wait for those taste results to roll in...! :cheer:

Skelly wrote:

Just out of curiosity, has anyone else noticed how the yeast expiration is supposedly around three years before the mix expiration?

What's up with that?

Just checked on things, less than 24 hours after pitching the yeast, 3 out of 4 are madly working away. The only lagger is:

Dutch Lager
OG 1.045
Mix expiration Sept 2012

Temp on all of the LBKs (sticky) is around 66 degrees.

Skelly wrote:

Skelly wrote:

What's up with that?

Just checked on things, less than 24 hours after pitching the yeast, 3 out of 4 are madly working away. The only lagger is:

Dutch Lager
OG 1.045
Mix expiration Sept 2012

I brewed my Dutch Lager with additives on Thursday mid-day, nothing moving even at 8 AM this morning, just checked on my newborn baby @ 945 AM, and she is wailing like a banshee. I haven't seen anything this active since Mt St Helens erupted. It seems from all my reads that the Dutch Lager is a late bloomer when it comes to yeast action. :banana:

T8r Salad wrote:

Skelly wrote:

Skelly wrote:

What's up with that?

Dutch Lager
OG 1.045
Mix expiration Sept 2012

I brewed my Dutch Lager with additives on Thursday mid-day, nothing moving even at 8 AM this morning, just checked on my newborn baby @ 945 AM, and she is wailing like a banshee. I haven't seen anything this active since Mt St Helens erupted. It seems from all my reads that the Dutch Lager is a late bloomer when it comes to yeast action. :banana:

I don't suppose that you noticed the expiration dates on the mix or the yeast?

My youngest could wail louder and clearer than any baby I had ever heard. I figured at the time that when she got older, with lungs like that she would probably be able to sing pretty good. I was right.

Just think positive thoughts, as you suffer from lack of sleep.... :woohoo:

"I don't suppose that you noticed the expiration dates on the mix or the yeast?"
see attached pic of Dutch Lager yeast
I also added a 2 gram MB yeast, probably expired too.
TBM_yeast_pack.jpg

T8r Salad wrote:

"I don't suppose that you noticed the expiration dates on the mix or the yeast?"
see attached pic of Dutch Lager yeast
I also added a 2 gram MB yeast, probably expired too.
TBM_yeast_pack.jpg

Hmmn...same codes as mine.

I'm thinking next batch gets some 05 instead of the TBM yeast.

Skelly wrote:

Mine is almost foaming at the mouth since Saturday 945 AM. It has really kicked into gear. I really don't think the TBM yeast is expired, the Dutch Lager just takes longer for the yeasties to find its lunch. I am thoroughly amazed at the bubbling action going on (I only check it every hour or two).

Skelly: your pic of your 4 LBKs is music to my eyes, love it!!

T8r Salad wrote:

Skelly wrote:

Mine is almost foaming at the mouth since Saturday 945 AM. It has really kicked into gear. I really don't think the TBM yeast is expired, the Dutch Lager just takes longer for the yeasties to find its lunch. I am thoroughly amazed at the bubbling action going on (I only check it every hour or two).

Skelly: your pic of your 4 LBKs is music to my eyes, love it!!

Yeah it's Monday tomorrow, back to work so I won't be able to check on my baby every 1/2 hour. :silly:

You say you boiled the water and then let it cool down so the mix didn't clump. It didn't clump at all? Did you gradually add the mix?

Brian12069 wrote:

You say you boiled the water and then let it cool down so the mix didn't clump. It didn't clump at all? Did you gradually add the mix?

That's how I did it.
mixed right in.
Only draw back is cool down time.

Just transferred my Canadian Red 4.5 gal batch two the secondary fermenter. Lots of foam by product on the bottom of the lid and trub in the bottom. Looks cloudy still but now I can track it better in the glass carboy. Brewed on the 5 th with OG of.1050. 65-68 degrees.
Another week or so and I will batch prime it and bottle

Brian12069 wrote:

Yeah, I use a whisk, and I just did the same thing I do with booster, gradually add it in while whisking.

I didn't have to wait too long for the cool down, I had stashed some gallon jugs of water in the brew fridge in preparation for brew day.

I started a batch of Dutch "Lager" on Saturday night, 9:00 pm. No adjuncts. Just straight up with the Beer Machine yeast. Yeast date was 11/09, which I interpret as November, 2009. DME date was 09/12. I brought 4 cups of water to a boil then allowed to cool till warm. Mixed the DME and it clumped like crazy. It resembeled clumped oatmeal. I used a wisk and beat most of the clumped balls into submission, then into the LBK. Stired till foamy, pitched yeast, waited 5 minutes then stired again. OG (before pitching, of course) was 1.046.

Just checked at 6:00 am Monday and has a nice 3/4 inch of Krausen. So far so, so good. I plan to ferment for two weeks, but will take more gravity readings closer to the two week mark, two days apart.

Skelly wrote:

Brian12069 wrote:

Yeah, I use a whisk, and I just did the same thing I do with booster, gradually add it in while whisking.

I didn't have to wait too long for the cool down, I had stashed some gallon jugs of water in the brew fridge in preparation for brew day.

What is the general ratio of hot wort mixed w/ cold water in the LBK to get the pitching temp w/ out waiting too long for cool down? IfUNOWhatImean....

ZiggyZag wrote:

Skelly wrote:

Brian12069 wrote:

What is the general ratio of hot wort mixed w/ cold water in the LBK to get the pitching temp w/ out waiting too long for cool down? IfUNOWhatImean....

When you make a Mr beer kit, you use 4 cups of water and bring to a boil.

ZiggyZag wrote:

Skelly wrote:

Brian12069 wrote:

Using the standard MRB of 4 cups of water, I usually add a gallon and some of cold water to the LBK.

"Skelly" post=243434 said:

I've been following the threads for TBM and several questions keep coming up:

What does a plain mix taste like?
What's the hop profile?
What's the OG, FG?
Misc yeast questions...

As of today, no one has posted about tasting a plain kit. I usually don't like to mess with a base kit until I know what I'm starting with, so I just mixed up the following four mixes with the included yeast:

Golden Lager
OG 1.045
Yeast label Ale 3GM 514110 BB Nov 09
Mix expiration 8/15/13

Dutch Lager
OG 1.045
Mix expiration Sept 2012

Canadian Red Lager
OG 1.047
Mix expiration 11/2015

Nut Brown Ale
OG 1.045
Mix expiration 11/2015

Boiled 6 cups of water, let it cool down enough so that I could stir in the mix without clumping, then added cold water to bottom of the Q

All yeast pitched @ 70 degrees
Will be fermenting at room temp of 64 degrees
Probably will do a 2-2-2, but will check with hydrometer

And away we go!! :lol:

Resize_of_PICT0053.png

Sorry for the tardy update, but I ended up traveling for my job, and haven't been able to update this thread properly.

Fermented for three weeks final readings as follows:

Bottled 3/31/12

Golden Lager
OG 1.045
FG 1.012
Taste - OK, kind of bland

Dutch Lager
OG 1.045
FG 1.016
Taste - Kind of metallic

Canadian Red Lager
OG 1.047
FG 1.015
Taste - Hint of citris

Nut Brown Ale
OG 1.045
FG 1.016
Taste - Hint of molasses

I wasn't able to cold crash, so all of them were pretty cloudy. After two weeks in the bottle,seem to be clearing up. I put a Golden Lager in the fridge this weekend, and will taste it Sunday.

I heated the water on the last batch of Canadian Red, and got the same results, kind of clumpy.

Going to bottle that batch today and mix up a Pilsner, but precisely the way the instructions read and see how it goes. No heat and not stirring.

At my local LHBK, they're the same spigots that are used on the 6.5 gallon Ale Pails. They're pretty nice in that you can completely disassemble them for cleaning, and they were really cheap. You have to enlarge the hole for them to fit.

If I had to do it over again, I'd just use the MrB locking spigots, but they weren't available back when I made the modifications.

"T8r Salad" post=253344 said:

Skelly: Great report with specifics. Hope they taste good once carbed & conditioned.

Thanks! I figured that a lot of others would have the same questions that I had.

Tried a Golden Lager just now, it's only been conditioning for two weeks, but its seems to be carbing well.

Tastes like a light beer. Still pretty green though. I'll wait till it's been conditioning for at least four weeks before trying another one.

One observation: it's REALLY cloudy. Even with a careful pour, plenty of trub floating around. I had noticed with all of the TBM batches that they came out muddy/cloudy looking during bottling. I'm thinking that a cold crash will be mandatory with these mixes.

BTW: took pictures of the first pour, but my camera died when trying to upload the pictures. If I get it fixed, I'll post them later.

"meopilite" post=253518 said:

on that pic of the Mr Beer fermenter kegs, whats the red thingy's?

That's the faucet part of the spigot.

[attachment=7823]Capture.PNG[/attachment]

I am doing a TBM Pilsner per their instructions, straight up ... No additives ..The only thing I am doing different is letting it ferment for 2 weeks before cold crash and carbing. I did not check yeast pack for date ( i am a noob ) I did not have much activity on first 2 days ...then an axplosion on the yeast for about 4 days.. At 9 days some foam on top but there still seems to be a little yeast activity.. Will update on Thursday at 2 wk point,4/26.

"jhough" post=254582 said:

I am doing a TBM Pilsner per their instructions, straight up ... No additives ..The only thing I am doing different is letting it ferment for 2 weeks before cold crash and carbing. I did not check yeast pack for date ( i am a noob ) I did not have much activity on first 2 days ...then an axplosion on the yeast for about 4 days.. At 9 days some foam on top but there still seems to be a little yeast activity.. Will update on Thursday at 2 wk point,4/26.

Hey, make sure you keep us posted. I've got bunch of the TBM Pilsner mix and I would have brewed one, but I ran out of LBKs!

Your activity sounds similar to what I saw with most of my mixes, except for the Brown which took FOREVER to kick off.

I love a good Pilsner, so I'm hoping that these TBM mixes turn out well.

Mine did the same thing, and I used the yeast that came with it. Blase did it all by the instructions but used a different yeast and sounds like his took off a little sooner than ours did.

Mines kind of mellow now but still definitely fermentation going on. I'm going to cold crash mine as soon as I can tell that the fermtation is complete. I brewed it last Sun 4/15.

"Brooster" post=254649 said:

Mine did the same thing, and I used the yeast that came with it. Blase did it all by the instructions but used a different yeast and sounds like his took off a little sooner than ours did.

Mines kind of mellow now but still definitely fermentation going on. I'm going to cold crash mine as soon as I can tell that the fermtation is complete. I brewed it last Sun 4/15.

After my first 2 tbm batches turned out with off flavors I've been throwing the included yeast in the trash & using coopers yeast on my last 4.

I brew in the evening & by morning there is a nice layer of krausen going.

I was getting a lot of banana flavors with the coopers so I lowered my fermentation temps to 60°, that seems to have helped. The golden lager that I'm gonna bottle tonight tasted delicious when I moved it to the fridge to cold crash.

"pete rose haircut" post=254665 said:

After my first 2 tbm batches turned out with off flavors I've been throwing the included yeast in the trash & using coopers yeast on my last 4.

I brew in the evening & by morning there is a nice layer of krausen going.

I was getting a lot of banana flavors with the coopers so I lowered my fermentation temps to 60°, that seems to have helped. The golden lager that I'm gonna bottle tonight tasted delicious when I moved it to the fridge to cold crash.

Yep, some of the other threads have been flagging the TBM yeast as the culprit for off flavors. The Coopers has been known t produce fruitiness if you hit 65 or above.

I'm thinking of starting a batch of the TBM Pilsner, but I'm trying to decide which yeast to use. I'll be fermenting in the mid 60s, so I'm trying to decide between the Muntons, S-33 or US-05.

I'm thinking that the US-05 would give me the crispness that I like in my Pilsners, but I've never used it above 60°.

Thoughts?

I've read on here that if you ferment us 05 at its lower temp range it'll give the beer lager like qualities.

*edit after reading your post better I take it that mid 60s is your only option?

"pete rose haircut" post=254689 said:

I've read on here that if you ferment us 05 at its lower temp range it'll give the beer lager like qualities.

*edit after reading your post better I take it that mid 60s is your only option?

Unfortunately, yes. I typically do most of my Pilsners and similar beers during the winter, since I have a storage room in the basement that stays around a constant 58-59°. US-05 works great under those conditions.

However, this time of the year I can't get down below around 65° or so, and I'm not home enough to do the ice bottle in cooler thing.

It's beer 4 weeks in the bottle, 2 days in the fridge, so I thought that I would open a sample bottle of each and do a taste test with a friend. here re the results:

[attachment=7881]Beer-2.png[/attachment]

As you can see if the picture, the carbonation was REALLY poor, I used an online calculator to figure out how much cane sugar to use for batch priming, but I typically go a little conservative. However, the poor quality/old TBM yeast might have had something to do with it as well.

I had a picture of the bottles, there was more trub in them than I've ever seen with various other recipes, extract or partial grain.

Taste Test

Got together with a friend who loves craft beers and has better taste buds that I do. She was also there when we tasted sample prior to bottling.

Results:

Golden Lager

Bad smell, kind of a green apple taste - I had sampled one of these at the two week mark, and it didn't seem this bad. Might be a bad bottle.

Dutch Lager

At bottling, had a metallic taste. Now the metallic taste was more pronounced and just plain nasty!

Nut Brown Ale

At bottling, was OK, just had a kind of molasses flavor. Now it's a very yeasty taste.

Canadian Red Lager

At bottling, had a hint of citrus. Now had a more pronounced orangy flavor, not bad though this was the only bottle that we finished.

Conclusions

I'm thinking that there's a good possibility that three out of four batches will be eventually thrown out, but I will let them condition a while longer to see how things come out.

After this experiment, and following the other threads, I'm thinking that the TBM yeast is probably pretty suspect. Most of the people who have had better results have replaced the TBM yeast with whatever else that they had lying around.

Out of curiosity last week I threw together a TBM Pilsner mix with a re-hydrated 6 gram pack of Muntons yeast.

Stay tuned.

Skelly,

Sorry to hear such disappointing results You were very thoughtful and generous to share your entire process with us. I hope these brews really do improve for you with more conditioning. It seems a lot of people are finding that to be true

I went into these refills thinking that there had to be a reason they were giving them away so cheap. I was prepared for the possibility of old age, low quality, maybe product overheated in storage, or whatever. Either that or it was just a company who decided profits weren't important anymore. Not!

So I jumped in right from the start trying to doctor them up just a little bit to help cover up any problems. I just had to guess on the first attempt and then make adjustments on each following attempt. It was kinda fun that there were quite a few of us experimenting with it at the same time.

Your experiment was very pure and disciplined, and I respect that and sure do appreciate you sharing it. Not only do I hope your first round of these brews improve with age, but I also hope you continue to make more and they come out even better.

:cheers:

Hey Skelly Spence here.on that TBM Pilsner mix, I also used a 6 gram pack of muntons to ferment, did it for 3 wks then bottle. Myquestion to you is did your brew look real thin watery looking, I tastedthe brew . tasted kinda good. seems kinda hoppy. justcolor was real light tell me some good about it thanks, Spence

"spence" post=257124 said:

Hey Skelly Spence here.on that TBM Pilsner mix, I also used a 6 gram pack of muntons to ferment, did it for 3 wks then bottle. Myquestion to you is did your brew look real thin watery looking, I tastedthe brew . tasted kinda good. seems kinda hoppy. justcolor was real light tell me some good about it thanks, Spence

Spence,

I just started the Pilsner on 4/22, so I'm going to give it another week or so before bottling.

When I bottle and taste it, I'll update my post.

"Skelly" post=257991 said:

Spence,

I just started the Pilsner on 4/22, so I'm going to give it another week or so before bottling.

When I bottle and taste it, I'll update my post.

Bottled the TBM Pilsner today. Smelled real nice, similar to other batches of Pilsner that I've made. I had cold crashed for a week, it was still somewhat cloudy, but did have a nice light straw color.

Actually tasted pretty nice, kinda hoppy, like a good Pilsner should. :cheer:

I have high hopes for this one.

"Skelly" post=262393 said:

Bottled the TBM Pilsner today. Smelled real nice, similar to other batches of Pilsner that I've made. I had cold crashed for a week, it was still somewhat cloudy, but did have a nice light straw color.

I wish I had high hopes. I bottled only a few of my TBM pilsner because it didn't taste anything like any pilsner I've done before.

Maybe lack of consistency is why TBM went down hard?

"VanceFox" post=262394 said:

I wish I had high hopes. I bottled only a few of my TBM pilsner because it didn't taste anything like any pilsner I've done before.

Which yeast?

"pete rose haircut" post=262396 said:

Which yeast?

Brewed the kit with yeast included. Everything it came it I used... except the co2, of course.

"VanceFox" post=262398 said:

Which yeast?

Brewed the kit with yeast included. Everything it came it I used... except the co2, of course.

Might be the difference, I know that the included yeast in my kits were total crap.

Which yeast?

6 gram pack of Muntons dry yeast. Rehydrated before I pitched.

Got my fingers crossed, should be ready for the Fourth of July if everything goes right. :banana:

Got brave and decided to taste another couple of bottles.

Been in the bottle 6 weeks plus one week in the fridge.

[attachment=8008]2012-05-2015.56.44.png[/attachment]

Golden Lager

Still has green apple smell and taste, poor carbonation. I'm thinking that fermentation might not have gone well due to crappy yeast. I might try another batch with good yeast next week.

Canadian Red Lager

Not as much of a citrusy taste as last time, seems to be mellowing out. Might be a decent, not good, not great but decent beer in a few weeks.

"Might be the difference, I know that the included yeast in my kits were total crap"

How can you tell? For us lesser experienced guys.

Thank you for this. This is an excellent recap and you share my desire to try it correctly the first time and then experiment. How do you know what you did if you didn't know what the base recipe was?

Anyway - I have brewed two batches of Canadian Lager and one of the Golden Lager. The Canadian Lager were both brewed as per the instructions. The first batch was really metallic upon first taste (2 weeks brewing, 2 weeks conditioning). I then decided to let it condition for a couple more weeks and tried it again. Better, but still not great. Since then I have let it condition for another month, some in the fridge and some warm. It is better, but I still can't drink it by itself (my test of whether a beer is OK or not - can I drink the entire bottle without eating something with it to dilute the taste).

The second batch was considerably better. I added booster this time which seemed to mellow it out some. Not the best beer I have made, but drinkable. What is frustrating is that it wants to be a good beer. I like the idea of what the flavor and color is trying to be, but it is just off a bit. Both batches were done using the yeast included - I didn't get the message about the yeast being the culprit until later. Since then I have purchased fresh yeast that I will be using in the future.

The Golden Lager is still in the bottle. I will have my first taste this week. I did use the new yeast for this one and added booster. In this case, I tried adding the mix to the hot water/booster mix which was clearly a mistake as it clumped up pretty badly. I filtered out the clumps and gave it a shot in the LBK. All in all I am looking forward to trying it. We'll see how it goes.

Probably would've been ok leaving the clumps in there, my understanding is that the yeasties will eat them.

Some on here made their beer by just dumping the dme in the LBK, no mixing.

Yes - I essentially did that with my first batch. Luke warm water, dump in the mix, pitch the yeast.

Update on the Golden Lager - Cracked open the first one today (Bottled 18 days ago). It is excellent. Good body, good color, clear. Very enjoyable.

Recap - I used new Mr. Beer standard yeast instead of the included packet and added one pouch of booster. Ferment 2 weeks, almost 3 weeks conditioning in the bottle.

Very good.

Good day Skully, In reference to your experiment how long did you let the beer ferment in the Mr beer Keg? 5 days?

thank you,

So you didn't boil the water? I've made 3 batches all have the metallic taste, undrinkable.

1st batch of Canadian Red I used the supplied yeast, heated some water (about 130 degrees) dumped in the mix and stirred until it was mixed well. Cooled and put in the LBK, fermented for 2 weeks. This batch has been in the bottle for 2.5 months and it is still horrible.

2nd batch of Canadian Red I used 1/2 package of US-05 and did the same steps as my 1st batch.

3rd batch was the Dutch Lager, used the other 1/2 of US-05 and did the same thing again.

I'm starting to think adding booster may be what I want to try. If I add booster how much water do I mix it with? Then do I add TBM mix to it or to the LBK?

"ba1980" post=263539 said:

So you didn't boil the water? I've made 3 batches all have the metallic taste, undrinkable.

1st batch of Canadian Red I used the supplied yeast, heated some water (about 130 degrees) dumped in the mix and stirred until it was mixed well. Cooled and put in the LBK, fermented for 2 weeks. This batch has been in the bottle for 2.5 months and it is still horrible.

2nd batch of Canadian Red I used 1/2 package of US-05 and did the same steps as my 1st batch.

3rd batch was the Dutch Lager, used the other 1/2 of US-05 and did the same thing again.

I'm starting to think adding booster may be what I want to try. If I add booster how much water do I mix it with? Then do I add TBM mix to it or to the LBK?

I started with 4 cups of water, added the booster, turned on the heat & stirred with a whisk till the booster was disolved, brought to a boil, removed from the heat & slowly added the dme while stirring till disolved. Then proceded as I would on any Mr beer batch.

"tkies" post=263393 said:

Good day Skully, In reference to your experiment how long did you let the beer ferment in the Mr beer Keg? 5 days?

thank you,

Nope, all batches spent 3 weeks in the LBK.

Spence,

Tried a sample bottle of the Pilsner (conditioned 2.5 weeks) tonight. My results are very similar to yours so far. Looked kinda thin when I was pouring it, but tasted OK, and definitely hoppy.

[attachment=8137]ResizeofIMAG0002.png[/attachment]

Pils is clear n crisp, I added Chinnook, very good.
:barman:

What type of hops flavor/aroma did you detect in the Pils HME?

:chow:

UPDATE:

Haven't been on for awhile, so here's some new info.

Pilsner with Muntons yeast - very drinkable, kinda reminds me of Budweiser, but with a better mouth feel

Nut Brown Lager - Conditioned out after 2-3 months, wasn't too bad

Canadian Red Lager - Drinkable

I have a few packages left, however I've been trying to build up my pipeline with reliable brews.

Haven't decided yet whether to use TBM as the base for other recipes or just give them away.