Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mmmmBeeeer

no auto-siphon...

so i have to bottle out of a 1 gallon carboy but i dont have an auto siphon. what is my best methode of extraction?

Do you have a regular racking cane? Otherwise I don't know. Hold off on bottling until you get one? I don't see how else you'll get it out of there with out disturbing the trub and/or oxidizing.

Yeah...I siphoned some stuff in my early brewing days with just a length of tubing. You can make it work but I wouldn't suggest it. I would buy an autosiphon. But if you insist, fill some food safe tubing with water and cover the openings. Then shove one end of the tubing into the jug and let go of the other end. First the water will run out of the tube, which you'll want to collect somehow, then hopefully the contents of the jug will come out, at which point you put the tubing into the receiving vessel and hope you don't lose suction and have to do this whole pain in the ass again. This is not as easy to control as using an autosiphon. You risk oxidizing it and you can't be as precise with the inlet hole. But technically it works.

Taking SenorPepe's method one step further, or more precisely one step backwards, there's the original old suck-and-swallow method.

I must warn you, this is not the most sanitary method, by far. At least it will be far more pleasant to swallow a little flat beer than to swallow gasoline or aquarium water.

If you're still with me, here's how it goes, in case you don't already know:

You want the receiving container to be much lower than the sending container to make gravity work in your favor. Drop one end of your tubing into the beer jug. You suck on the other end, trying to keep your mouth as dry as possible and not get any saliva in or near the tubing where the beer will touch it. (In other words, try to pucker your lips around the outside, about an inch or so above the end of the tube).

Sucking the air out of the tube creates the vacuum that forces the beer to rush out the tube. You suck until the beer fills the entire tube and is just about ready to start flowing out the receiving end. If it takes more than one suck, you just cap the end with your thumb while you prepare your next breath so you don't lose what suction you've made so far.

Once you get really good at this, you can quickly move the end of the tubing from your mouth to the container just before the beer comes out. Until then, expect to swallow a little bit of beer just before you transfer tube from mouth to container. And be grateful it's not gas or aquarium water.

Probably about now, you're thinking, "how long will it take me to run up to the store and get that auto-siphon?".

thanks for the advice guys...i think ill be mouthing it for now...autosiphon is an hours drive away. I plan on sucking then holding the vaccuum with my thumb and sanitizing the hose again then filling....best i can think of.

SenorPepe wrote:

fill some food safe tubing with water and cover the openings. Then shove one end of the tubing into the jug and let go of the other end. First the water will run out of the tube, which you'll want to collect somehow,

+1, I like this idea better than sucking on the tube, toooo many chances to get bacteria in the tube!

Rinsing your mouth with listerine first might help decrease infection chances as well.

I found a siphon tube at Lowes that all you do is stick the ends in each container and shake the lower one. It is supposed to siphon for you.

Does it work? I haven't a clue, but will be trying it in about 2 weeks when I bottle my pumpkin lager (trub is over the spigot).

i almost bought that thing. i was there buying hosing and saw it. i didnt want to get it and risk mixing air into my brew.

SenorPepe wrote:

Yeah...I siphoned some stuff in my early brewing days with just a length of tubing. You can make it work but I wouldn't suggest it. I would buy an autosiphon. But if you insist, fill some food safe tubing with water and cover the openings. Then shove one end of the tubing into the jug and let go of the other end. First the water will run out of the tube, which you'll want to collect somehow, then hopefully the contents of the jug will come out, at which point you put the tubing into the receiving vessel and hope you don't lose suction and have to do this whole pain in the ass again. This is not as easy to control as using an autosiphon. You risk oxidizing it and you can't be as precise with the inlet hole. But technically it works.

+1 This could work well! Well thought out!

You could also use a sanitized LBK if you have one available...

Sanitize the LBK, then have an assistant rotate it about 80-85 degrees so the opening is almost on the side...

Gently pour from the gallon carboy to the LBK, allowing the brew to run in rather than splash in... Use the shoulder of the carboy to contain any trub.

Then, return the LBK to its original upright position. Bottle as normal from the spigot!

:)

This is a great idea, but I couldn't do it in my case. The brew I needed to bottle was a gluten free beer for my fionce. I am not using any of the same equipment as my brews for fear of cross contamination. I posted a follow up to what happened here in my post "super aeration"...sad story to tell....

Well I tested the Lowes siphon in water tonight and I wouldn't recommend it for beer. It is alot of work to get it started and I think it would aerate the beer. Once it got going it was great, but getting it to that point was a problem.

I won't be using it for my pumpkin lager. The problem is I don't know what I'm going to do now. I don't have a LHBS and I need to bottle next week.