Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
jcubz

Reusing Bottles

So I'm looking at using beer bottles from the local liquor store (buying new ones isnt an option, too far away and too much $).

I live in Canada and I;m thinking about using Miller draft and Corona's but theyre both clear.

Can anyone think of a beer type that has a pop off top and is in a dark bottle? (except guiness, theyre new bottle can have their design taken off)

Nearly all of them? Fat tire is one I used to drink a lot and it has brown bottles. Just go by your liquor store and look at the bottles, you should be able to tell from the caps whether they are twist offs or not, and the color will be right there in front of you!

Nothing wrong with bottling in other colors either, you just have to take extra care to keep them out of the light

I've got a chit-load of sammy adams and new belgium bottles, they work great. I also have a chit-load of bottles I bought for $12/case from a LHBS.

Don't use the clear, unless you like kissing the south end of a skunk if your not real careful!

Sam Adams are pry off. Not too much money and pretty good free beer in them! The labls come off pretty easy too.

Ill have to see if I can get Sam Adams in the city nearest me (an hour) they dont carry too much american around here and most canadian brands are twist off

jcubz...fellow Canuck here. I've taken to drinking Grolsch lately, in both the swingtop and standard bottles. The standard bottles are pry off. Personally, I like the swingtops for my beer, so that's what I've been buying mostly and you can find them at most liquor stores in 4 packs. Not real cheap, but the free beer in them isn't terrible.

The bottles are green, however, so still require some care to keep them out of direct sunlight.

There really aren't alot of brown bottles with pry off caps available in Canada that I've noticed.

Guest System Admin

Well you may not have these in Canada, but if anyone else is following this thread and wondering the same thing, New Belgium is not only pretty good free beer, their bottles have the exact 12 fl. Oz. line formed into the glass. Very handy for home bottling!

Guest System Admin

Some Canadian brew I had a long time ago used to be twist off, can't remember which brand. One day while this Jersey boy was watching a hockey game and tried twisting it off, wouldn't budge, tried again, ended up slicing my hand open because they went to pry tops and I had no clue. 13 stitches later.....good times!

I would imagine sam adams you shoul have luck with them.definetly brown bottles!good luck cheers B)

mainegoer72 wrote:

Some Canadian brew I had a long time ago used to be twist off, can't remember which brand. One day while this Jersey boy was watching a hockey game and tried twisting it off, wouldn't budge, tried again, ended up slicing my hand open because they went to pry tops and I had no clue. 13 stitches later.....good times!

mainegoer72 - must've been a great hockey game! Also, you must have put some force behind that twisting to slice your hand/finger that severely. :ohmy:

Guest System Admin

It was an awesome game! Toronto vs. New Jersey....and yes, I waited until after the game to get the stitches! lol

gman585 wrote:

Sam Adams are pry off. Not too much money and pretty good free beer in them! The labls come off pretty easy too.

lol, yeah my buying habits have changed since I started harvesting bottles, there are several brands that I like that I no longer buy because they have foil labels that are a pota to remove.

Same thing if I come across a new brew I want to try, I always check to make sure they have pry tops & paper labels that look like they'll soak off easy.

On the same thread here, has anyone had any experience in bottling in 2L or 3L soda bottles? I understand about the clear bottle/light part...I'm more concerned about carbonation and fill level. Oh yeah, I am batch priming... ;)

The reason I ask is because I'm going to have an uncapping event for some "non-believer" friends, and I'm sure all of the brew will be consumed in the same sitting.