Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Bierbrauer

Brown sugar as priming sugar

Brewers, Enthusiast, lend me your ears and give me advice. I am bottling the linebacker dopplebock today. I was thinking of using brown sugar instead of regular sugar to prime the bottles.

I am using 16 oz grolsch bottles as well so I need 1 tsp for every bottle, would I just use the 1 tsp of brown sugar instead. Is it as easy as substituting them? Would I have to let them sit longer I was planning on letting them go for 4 weeks.

regards,

Ken

I have'nt used brown/s for priming, but I don't see why you could not. It might impart a maple taste (?) in the end. I would use the same weight as table sugar, maybe a little lighter, and I would weigh it out and batch prime.

Yeah, I don't know. Part of me wants to say screw it and the other half wants to experiment. I don't know if the molasses will add too much extra carbonation or not.

Well, go for it! Do half n half. Half table sugar, half brown/s. Just use 1/2 tsp b/s per bottle, make sure pack measuring spoon as this stuff don't flow well. Homebrewing is all about going mad scientist, ya gotta try, otherwise u will always wonder...*what if?*

Glad to help! Now, u gotta pay the help fee, send half this batch to me for inspection when bottled... LOL

Brown sugar contain molasses along with the white sugar. Never could understand why the strip molasses out of the cane juice just to add it back in the end so why not use raw sugar to begin with? Brewers and pastry chefs want to know

haerbob3 wrote:

Brown sugar contain molasses along with the white sugar. Never could understand why the strip molasses out of the cane juice just to add it back in the end so why not use raw sugar to begin with? Brewers and pastry chefs want to know

Same reason they remove all the fat from milk, then add it back to get 1%, 2% or whole mill. Control.

you may need more brown sugar to carb that beer than the regular table sugar. check the conversion chart. Also, there really isn't any point in using brown sugar to prime with, the amount that you'll wind up using isn't goning to change the flavor profile anywhoway. just sayin'

Used brown sugar in Black Tower Porter and it worked well, and yes, you do use sightly more brown sugar than table sugar. Have fun and try different things but make sure you keep track of what you do.