Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Nealoneal

two days in fridge before drinking?

Hey there,
New brewer. Brewed 4 batches now, tasted 3. The second and third batches were bottled at the same time. if I stick with the 3-2-2 plan they will be ready in a week. Of course, I shouldn't have tasted them tonight, but I did. Couldnt wait.I have no willpower.

I know what I am supposed to do, stickem in the fridge for a few days then drink them. But I let them chill for only an hour. Batch 3 was frikin awesome. Batch 2 was meh. So what gives? what does chilling them for a few days do that an hour doesn't? I assume it helps clear the beer or something but what exactly is going on? How does it effect taste?
Thanks in advance for your help.

LOL, I did the same thing last night with my first batch. It was pretty darn good, I'll let the other more exp borg members answer your questions. Welcome to the obsession.

It does help to settle out some of the suspended stuff which some people say gives it an off taste.
Maybe its something about living squiggling yeasties?
Anyway, it usually doesn't last two days in the fridge...It's SOOOOO good.
Welcome to this fiendish obsession they call a hobby!

I might not be the best person to answer this since I'm not the most experienced, but my understanding of it is that its basically a cold crash.

By putting the bottle in the fridge for at least two days, you are dropping all of the yeast out of suspension and solidifying the trub at the bottom so that when you pour your beer, you get as little sediment in the glass as possible.

Like you, I've drank my beers after just an hour or two in the fridge and not noticed any significant difference, but the theory is sound! ;)

Leaving the beer in the fridge longer does several things. It settles out things that are in suspension and compacts the trub, but it also helps flavors meld. I used to put my be in the fridge for 2 days, but after seeing the difference a week made when I got home from a business trip, I extended it to a week. I now try to give them two weeks in the fridge.

thanks! I think I get it now. Now I will have to see how much patience I have. I Can't believe I made something good. Now it will be that much harder to keep it in the fridge and not in my glass.

Thanks again for all the knowledge you guys share.