Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
drichardson

Using other fruit brands in Mr. Beer brewing?

Hello all!

I spend a LOT of time browsing the different recipes on the Mr. Beer website and thinking about what I want to order next and trying to plan ahead.

I'm curious about using a different kind of fruit instead of what some of these recipes come with. I mean, over $4 seems like quite a bit to me for a can of fruit. I have different cans of HME and UME on hand and will probably buy hard cider refills from a different site as it will be cheaper but I'd like to try my hand at a fruity hard cider.

Any suggestions on brands of fruits or what to look for in canned fruit to use it for brewing? I live in Iowa if that helps at all as far as availability of different fruit brands.

Thank you in advance for any help!

U can use others. Just make sure it's pasturized. Watch the sugar contents of the cans, don't want to blow the adjunct levels and make cider.

Thank you so much for the response! Any suggestions on specific brands or sugar contents I should be watching for?

I suppose maybe I will buy one hard cider refill with fruit so I can check out the information on the Oregon Fruit can and then compare it to other things I might find locally.

I see Oregon Fruit in cans at the supermarket all the time. I'm assuming it's the same product. You can probably buy it cheaper there, or at least read the ingredients.

I just bought and used a frozen box of raspberries in syrup for the secondary fermentation of my raspberry wheat. The grocery store didn't have the Oregon raspberries (and nobody else carried it), so I did what I had to do (I wasn't about to spend $4+ and $7.99 shipping for a can of fruit).

The thing I made sure of, though, was that the ingredients for the frozen berries was just the fruit+water+sugar. No other additives, which is what the Oregon fruits list on their ingredients list.

Pureed, added, and the yeast seemed to love it! No strange smells/sights going on, so hopefully it will work out fine. B)