Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mmmmBeeeer

Super Aeration

So as a follow up to my no auto siphon post.....

I did the mouth suction methode...I know bad idea.

I used a tube that had 1/2 in interior diameter...I know another bad idea. Thats the one I had because it fits around the MB spigot.

The beer came out of this at a firehose rate...

I must have spilled t least 1.5 beers.

But the real problem is that I put A LOT of air into the liquid in the bottles that did get filled. As the liquid went in with such force it made lots of bubbles.

I only ended up with 7 bottles of beer from a 1 gallon batch.
BTW this was a gluten free brew and it ended up at 7% abv and pretty tasty other than the the fact that the alcohol isnt hidden at all.

Just wondering if anybody else has had this happen?

they will likely go stale sooner than usual so when they are carbed and taste good, drink up while they last

Guest System Admin

Joey,

I'm sorry to hear how badly that experience went. You know, I didn't realize that you were siphoning straight into the bottles. That's only because I didn't pay attention to what I had read. Stopping and starting with a siphon attempt like that certainly can cause a lot of spilling in between bottles.

I'm also sorry that I didn't recall until now another method I used in the past, while making wine. It's not exactly ideal, simply because of the aeration factor, but it probably would have been better than what happened. It's especially well suited for smaller amounts, like the one gallon jug you had there. Just in case this ever happens again, here's the alternative method:

I would take the jug and very slowly and carefully pour it down the side of a gallon pitcher with a spout on it, or two half-gallon pitchers. At the end, of course, you will leave a little bit of liquid with the trub in the gallon.

Then again, very slowly and carefully, you pour from the pitcher into the bottles, down the side, very much like bottling from the old spigot on LBK.

Another alternative yet, which is what I think I had in my head but confused the whole thing when I told you, is siphoning to a pitcher first and then pouring from pitcher to bottles.

Both of these methods simply take advantage of the fact that it's a hell of a lot easier to pour into bottles from a pitcher with a spout and a handle than from a gallon jug. Plus, you get to separate the liquid from the trub during the transfer, so you don't have to worry about it while bottling.

Like I say, it's not perfect, but it would have been a lot easier on you all around than the siphon on that particular task. I am realy sad I didn't think of it sooner. Maybe it will come in handy in the future for you or someone else.

well that is a muuuuch better technique, hindsight is 20/20. thanks, now I know for next time.