Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
cwolfley

food coloring???????

has anyone one ever added food coloring to there beer to make a specialized color for there brew? if so when did they add it and what colors? thanks for all the input. pics would be good also.
or is this a no no...

Food coloring? Not in this lifetime.

Steep specialty grains.

Unless you want green beer or something for a novelty ... ech.

One drop of green food coloring in one pint of WCPA is a fun novelty for St Patrick's day (done at time of bottling). To go along with a nicely bottled liter of St Patrick's Irish Stout as the real beverage.

with st. patty's yes many have done this. I also heard of people adding some blue for a Wild Blue type beer. I've not done this so cant make any suggestions other than that its usually added at bottling or just after pouring.

I'd follow Tom's lead. no chance in hell. It sounds like a neat trick...but I'm not sure i'd do it (or want to try a bottle of what someone else did).

cwolfley wrote:

has anyone one ever added food coloring to there beer to make a specialized color for there brew? if so when did they add it and what colors? thanks for all the input. pics would be good also.
or is this a no no...

As mnstarzz13 said it's done on st patty's day all the time. I've added a drop of green to an already poured beer to make it festive! It doesn't effect the taste at all, but if you add too much it will make your tongue green!! :X

k9dude wrote:

As mnstarzz13 said it's done on st patty's day all the time. I've added a drop of green to an already poured beer to make it festive! It doesn't effect the taste at all, but if you add too much it will make your tongue green!! :X

And that isn't all :ohmy:

my reason for asking is i want a brew that is a rich red color. not st pats day... is there a mr beer recipe that anyone has done that is a real rich red color? specifically using american devil ipa.
thanks

dude it's on you. It it YOUR Beer. Do what ever you want an Id be honored to split one with ya anytime! :laugh: :woohoo: :lol:

cwolfley wrote:

my reason for asking is i want a brew that is a rich red color. not st pats day... is there a mr beer recipe that anyone has done that is a real rich red color? specifically using american devil ipa.
thanks

Ok, can't hold back any longer, after reading the above post. Yes I have used a few drops per bottle of food coloring. It will not change the taste of the beer, I have used it in reds. What I don't like is it will give the head a redish tint also, but no taste difference at all and it won't turn your tounge, lips, or poop red either.

cwolfley wrote:

thanks

ahh...with season 5 of true blood around the corner maybe it's time to find a nice Irish red recipe.

cb-st-partricks-irish-red-ale2.jpg

Nice looking beer, I'm partial to red heads, but I love them all, Blondes, brunettes, even darker ones, oh back to beer,a nice looking red.

berryman wrote:

cwolfley wrote:

thanks

Ok, can't hold back any longer, after reading the above post. Yes I have used a few drops per bottle of food coloring. It will not change the taste of the beer, I have used it in reds. What I don't like is it will give the head a redish tint also, but no taste difference at all and it won't turn your tounge, lips, or poop red either.

No a couple drops won't, but alot of drops will!!!! :flush: :P :X