Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
LouieMacGoo

HCCD, I think it's got the Crud!

I just pulled a couple of bottles of the HCCD that I brewed on Feb, 11 and bottled on Feb, 25 to see how they were doing and to put in the fridge to try out over the weekend and I noticed there is a haze or cloudiness on the inside of the bottles! Not just one or two but the whole batch. Since I am still relatively new to brewing and bottling I can only assume that my sanitization wasn't good some where in the brewing/bottling process and this haze that I see is a mold or algae? :(

The one thing that I did differently with this batch is that I ran the bottles through the dishwasher with the "sanitize" cycle but I'm thinking that this didn't work so well.

Lost batch of beer but a gain in my knowledge! :unsure:

I am so bummed right now. :S :(:angry:

A bit of haze in the bottles doesn't mean anything bad has happened. Stick them in the fridge for two days and they should clear up. You might just have some sediment floating around in there and the cold temperatures will drop it out of suspension.

Don't panic until you open one and taste it...if it tastes horrible, panic.

Guest System Admin

Sorry you need to package up and send to me for proper disposal.

I am thinking it is "Chill-Haze"

I notice if I take a home brew and place in the fridge for a couple of hours (when cold) and drink, way more cloudy. I find it can take 2 days for it to clear up on some beers, why I always load my fridge every Sunday for the next weekend.

Better beer if allowed to chill for 3 days or more

Also for future reference, you can even get haze in beers WHEN you chill them even if they started off clear before you did. This should not happen with HCCD, but more likely when you start brewing with grains. If it does, although it's a "defect" in the beer, it doesn't typically affect the flavor, it's just a visual thing, and the beer is perfectly fine to drink.

Sorry, I should clarify what I am seeing. The beer itself looks to be clear but attached to the inside of the bottles (the sides) is a haze that is light in color that I can only equate to when a aquarium starts to get algae on the inside of the glass and you can see where the glass was cleaned before from the pattern that the algae follows.

I wish I could get a picture of it but the ones I tried just don't show what I am seeing.

I have put one in the fridge and will give it a try in a few days but I can't help but be anxious about it! :dry:

LouieMacGoo wrote:

Sorry, I should clarify what I am seeing. The beer itself looks to be clear but attached to the inside of the bottles (the sides) is a haze that is light in color that I can only equate to when a aquarium starts to get algae on the inside of the glass and you can see where the glass was cleaned before from the pattern that the algae follows.

I wish I could get a picture of it but the ones I tried just don't show what I am seeing.

I have put one in the fridge and will give it a try in a few days but I can't help but be anxious about it! :dry:

That just sounds like trub to me. Sometimes, a bit of it will adhere to the sides on the way to the bottom.

Oh I think I had the same issue with my WCPA. Don't worry, you shouldn't have any issues. Taste is going to be the most important aspect. I believe it's krausen sticking to the side of the bottle. You'll be fine. Here's a link to my post when it happened to me.

http://community.mrbeer.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=124&func=view&catid=8&id=231818

There are pics that may show the same thing you have.

I, too, had a similar haze over the inside of the bottle on several bottles of one batch. Not bottle trub, but all the way up the side of the bottle. It almost looks like soap scum, yes?

Aside from having used more hops than the recipe really needed for my tastes, the batch tastes and drinks just fine. Give it a couple of days in the fridge and try it. You'll know pretty quick if it's bad.

DOH! What am I saying? Your beer has a dreaded flesh-eating disease that will eat you from the inside out if you drink it! It is imperative that you not drink any! I am licensed to deal with this problem and have much experience. Please send your beer to me and I will dispose of it properly. ;)

E = Mc2 wrote:

I, too, had a similar haze over the inside of the bottle on several bottles of one batch. Not bottle trub, but all the way up the side of the bottle. It almost looks like soap scum, yes?

Aside from having used more hops than the recipe really needed for my tastes, the batch tastes and drinks just fine. Give it a couple of days in the fridge and try it. You'll know pretty quick if it's bad.

DOH! What am I saying? Your beer has a dreaded flesh-eating disease that will eat you from the inside out if you drink it! It is imperative that you not drink any! I am licensed to deal with this problem and have much experience. Please send your beer to me and I will dispose of it properly. ;)

Send me your address and I'll make sure to send you a few bottles with extra sugar for a little better carbonation! ;) just let it sit, you'll know when it's ready! :lol:

E = Mc2 wrote:

Please send your beer to me and I will dispose of it properly. ;)

This ia a sign of assimilation. Good job.

I'm willing to bet that Brian is correct, and that it's yeast either floating around or sticking to the side of the bottle.

At any rate, keep calm and carry on. You'll know for sure when you taste it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's no big deal.

mashani wrote:

E = Mc2 wrote:

Please send your beer to me and I will dispose of it properly. ;)

This ia a sign of assimilation. Good job.

LouieMacGoo wrote:

Send me your address and I'll make sure to send you a few bottles with extra sugar for a little better carbonation! just let it sit, you'll know when it's ready!

This is also a sign of assimilation! Well played, Louie. Well played, indeed.

Thanks everyone for your input!!! Again I am learning that this is waiting game and patience is indeed a virtue! B)

The report of my HCCD demise was greatly exaggerated! After 3 days in the fridge I opened the HCCDand it smelled good, had a good head and best of all it tasted good! I think a little more time conditioning will make this a really great tasting beer!

Thanks everyone for helping to keep chilled out! :)

I just checked on my Men in Black IPA and notice that the top of the bottles (inside) right above the fill line show some 'crud'. I'm thinking it's ok and I remember that I had lots of Star Sans coming out the bottles as I filled them. Any way this was some dried Star Sans mixed with some of the yeasties at the bottom of my fermenter?
It's only been in bottles a week.

Duh, I just realized I had hopped this with 2 oz and remember this from ages ago. I'm sure that's what it is but I simply forget I had done that. Age has hit me hard!