Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mr_Derek

Sanitizing Oxygen-Absorbing Caps

I believe I read that you can NOT use One-Step on the Oxygen-absorbing caps...so, how do I sanitize?

Thanks

Mr_Derek wrote:

I believe I read that you can NOT use One-Step on the Oxygen-absorbing caps...so, how do I sanitize?

Thanks

I've never used those, but my understanding is that the difficulty is that they're activated when they get wet. Since one step is an oxygen based cleaner, if you use one step, you activate the oxygen absorbing quality, then provide oxygen to absorb. I'd wait until just before using them, then use Star San to sanitize.

bpgreen wrote:

I'd wait until just before using them, then use Star San to sanitize.

+1 that's exactly what I do: dip and immediately crimp

bpgreen wrote:

Mr_Derek wrote:

Thanks

I've never used those, but my understanding is that the difficulty is that they're activated when they get wet. Since one step is an oxygen based cleaner, if you use one step, you activate the oxygen absorbing quality, then provide oxygen to absorb. I'd wait until just before using them, then use Star San to sanitize.

Say what?! Activated when they get wet? Then I've been doing it wrong all along. I thought it was because certain cleaners/sanitizers create oxygen or other gases in the course of doing their thing. StarSan being acid-based I thought it was no problem. I've always soaked them until I use them...and possibly have been wasting my money :blink:

Yep, They're a complete waste of money, anyway that's what the owner of Princeton Homebrew told me when I tried to buy them. My understanding is the commercial breweries don't sanitize their bottles or caps since they always use new ones. Me, I just soak plain old caps in StarSan and give them a shake before putting them on the bottles, which I do sanitize.

I believe that commercial breweries don't use them but they have sophisticated equipment that minimizes oxidation at every step of the process and for the most part they're not planning on their beers aging in the bottle as long as I am with high-grav beers. But whether or not they work I wouldn't know...and even if they do work, if they're activated by getting wet, they've not been doing me any big favors.

My understanding is similar...

Any compound that can give up an oxygen molecule can cause them to begin absorbing said oxygen.

Obviously, there is a limit to how much the little bugger can absorb...

Ideally, it absorbs what might be in the bottle from the headspace...

Less than ideal, the oxygen from hydrogen peroxide, or water... Etc.

In the interest of full disclosure: I don't use them.

:)

BigPapaG wrote:

Any compound that can give up an oxygen molecule can cause them to begin absorbing said oxygen.

There ya go. Makin it a little more science-y. Peroxide was the example I was thinking of too. So you're saying that water can give up an oxygen molecule and therefore that wetting the caps with a dilute Star-San solution will start to use up its oxygen-absorbing properties?

SenorPepe wrote:

BigPapaG wrote:

There ya go. Makin it a little more science-y. Peroxide was the example I was thinking of too. So you're saying that water can give up an oxygen molecule and therefore that wetting the caps with a dilute Star-San solution will start to use up its oxygen-absorbing properties?

Well, I'm not a chemist, I just play one in the Nano-Brewery! :blush:

Not sure, but I don't think water IS water after you add Star-San to it... i think it becomes a wek acid... Probably changes things chemically ( molecularly) :unsure:

One step is fine as long as you use them while they are still wet from it. Go to thier website for more info.

While I still have a few let's split some hairs now. Fermented beer has a we bit of residual Co2 in it at bottling, so I fill the bottle put the cap on it and then turn the bottle end for end before capping. When I do this I swear I can hear a tiny little ppfftt of C02 escaping which I conclude is telling me the o2 has left the bottle.

One step is fine as long as you use them while they are still wet from it. Go to thier website for more info.

I was trying to retrace my steps when I looked into this a year ago. Back then I actually found my way to the website of the manufacturer. As well as a podcast from someone who had designed them. I was just trying to find that again. This was the closest I could come.

Basic Brewing Radio had an email from the folks who make those O2 absorbing caps. Their recommendation is that the caps DO need to be sanitized, just like any other thing coming in contact with the beer at bottling. They recommended that sanitized caps be used within 24 hrs of coming into contact with the liquid sanitizer, but who really takes that long to bottle?

This was from http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=94797&hilit=sanitizing+oxygen+absorbing+caps

Screwy Brewer wrote:

While I still have a few let's split some hairs now. Fermented beer has a we bit of residual Co2 in it at bottling, so I fill the bottle put the cap on it and then turn the bottle end for end before capping. When I do this I swear I can hear a tiny little ppfftt of C02 escaping which I conclude is telling me the o2 has left the bottle.

After filling a bottle I just set the cap on top, and within a couple of minutes I can hear the caps start to rattle as the CO2 pushes it's way out.

KZ wrote:

Screwy Brewer wrote:

After filling a bottle I just set the cap on top, and within a couple of minutes I can hear the caps start to rattle as the CO2 pushes it's way out.

+1

Also, I beleive the o2 absorbing caps obsorb so slow that any "activation" wont eliminate their effectiveness.

I dont use them though, whould be interesting to do side by side.