Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
comfort241

Brown sugar

Has anyone ever used brown sugar instead of regular sugar for the secondary fermentation process?
I'm making the witty monk and thought "what the hell, i'll try it in one bottle and see what happens".

secondary fermentation,...carbonation,...taste, Is it a good idea or am I fixing to cause a massive explosion in my neighborhood and kill 100's of people?

Secondary fermentation is fermentation after the active phase has died down. Carbonation occurs after you put it in the bottle. I think you're talking about carbonation. The amount used isn't really enough to affect taste. One possible problem with using brown sugar for carbonating is that it's difficult to measure accurately because it compresses. Do you weigh or measure your priming sugar?

Guest System Admin

I believe Mick Jagger would say, No brown sugar tonight".

Dark brown adds a very slight taste and slight color and light brown adds even less but either will feed your yeast for carbonating. It takes more brown sugar than table sugar and it is slower to dissolve. I have used it in a porter and a stout, but I batch primed both.

I measured as if using regular sugar. I was just wondering if the brown sugar was going to add to the flavor and if it would carbonate properly.

I've had wine that was back sweetened with brown sugar. Would it be possible to do that to beer? Not sure how you would stop the yeast from fermenting the sugar and also be able to carbonate the beer.

I have a test bottle with brown sugar, 4 weeks into carb/condition. It will be a while before I can compare but I'll report back.

I like Brown sugar in some of my English ales, never tried for primming though.

Having done at least some reading before starting my first batch (WCPA), I was curious about this general question, and bottle primed most bottles with regular cane sugar and samples of them with brown sugar, honey, maple syrup, and molasses. My wife and I both compared these samples side by side with the regular sugar (my wife not knowing which was which), and sometimes thought we could taste very slight differences. But what differences we thought we could taste were not consistent between us, and the differences were not always what we would have expected for what the priming was. We ended up concluding that the bottle priming substance made little if any difference, which is what many in this forum have also concluded.