Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
JerryOnDrums

Jamaican Mon first pour!

I planned on waiting until it was in the bottle for 6 weeks, but after 4, I couldn't hold out any longer! First, the pic:

IMG_1452.jpg

Now, the analysis:

Wow!! This is my 2nd brew after the WCPA standard, and it is LIGHT YEARS better. And it still has maturing to do yet. I didn't use a hydrometer with this batch, but it tastes every bit like the 6% abv brew that it's advertised to be. Great mouth feel, slightly sweet, mellow, good kick. Strangely enough, the beer it most-closely tastes like (to me) Hacker-Pschorr; it really doesn't taste anything like I thought. I was thinking (obviously) that it might have some Red Stripe qualities, but not really. And that's okay, as it's still delicious! I can't wait to taste this brew over the course of the next few weeks to taste how it will condition.

To those thinking about trying the Jamaican out, I give it an easy 8 out of 10. I couldn't be more pleased with my 2nd brew.

popped the top on a few lastnight with some buddies,they loved it.its only been bottled for 2.5 weeks!

I just tried the Jamaican Mon for the first time last night also and was very impressed. Mine also had only been 2.5 weeks into the lager/conditioning process, and I could not wait to try it. I substituted a half cup of brown sugar for the Booster BTW.

I also taste tested a Hefe that I had brewed prior to this one; while good, it still is not 100% ready yet. It has been conditioning for almost 6 weeks now. Soon... soon!

(yes this is also my first post here)

JerryOnDrums~

I actually posted that I was going to try this (posted in the Basic Recipes forum).

From your taste-test, was there anything distinctive about it?? I have never brewed this recipe before, but the ingredients don't appear to reflect anything "Jamaican" about it. So, I'm curious about the taste.

You mentioned Hacker-Pschorr. I have no clue what that is...so I can't picture it.

Would this beer benefit from some type of Jamaican ingredient such as Ginger or nutmeg or rum??

My intent will be to use 1 Lb of DME in place of the booster. Did you feel that it was fine with the booster or could you taste it being thinner??

Jerry- I'm with you on the Hacker-Pschorr, which was a surprise to me as I was expecting Red Stripe.

Initially I was actually somewhat disappointed in my batch of Jamaica Mon. The batch I made took a good 3-4 months to condition before it really reached its peak flavor, but now it is an incredibly good beer, very smooth and full of flavor. Just goes to show that when it comes to making good beer, patience is truly a virtue!

Cheers!

Christ872 wrote:

JerryOnDrums~

I actually posted that I was going to try this (posted in the Basic Recipes forum).

From your taste-test, was there anything distinctive about it?? I have never brewed this recipe before, but the ingredients don't appear to reflect anything "Jamaican" about it. So, I'm curious about the taste.

You mentioned Hacker-Pschorr. I have no clue what that is...so I can't picture it.

Would this beer benefit from some type of Jamaican ingredient such as Ginger or nutmeg or rum??

My intent will be to use 1 Lb of DME in place of the booster. Did you feel that it was fine with the booster or could you taste it being thinner??

It definitely was distinctive, in that it was a heavier beer than I was expecting...although, at 6% abv, it has an appropriate body to it. As far as the "Jamaican" quality of the brew, I hear what you mean- there isn't anything inherently "Jamaican" about the recipe, and yet, and maybe it was simply the power of suggestion by the title, but it makes sense once you taste the beer that it's named what it is. Give it a shot! Also, about adding additional ingredients- the rum would be an interesting experiment..

Yeah, I've wondered what's up with the name Jamaica Mon. But I've never been to Jamaica so I don't know what they drink there.

Just having some of this now!
It was my second after WCPA, and it's delicious - waited 5 weeks in bottles.
Since I did the 1 liters, I am having four and saving four to see how it ages.
gotta brew this one again!

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center Teabagsaz. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: We have Beer.

yeah Borg!
So I am now at two months, two days since bottling Jamaica Mon - and it's mighty tasty. I feel like I need to order the goods to repeat before everything changes. I wanted to attach a pic, and say thanks again to everyone here for all the great info, and good vibes.
Hope your summer is starting out well!!!!
As for me, I'll be in Jamaica Mon.....
[attachment=7864]Photoon2012-04-26at23.283.jpg[/attachment]

I am about to brew this myself, just finished my last junkyard IPA and have west coast pale ale ready to be thrown in the fridge as soon as I got back to town. So far ive done nut brown ale, the ipa, and the west coast pale ale, interested to see where that and the jamacica mon stack up with the other two. Cheers

Hi jmsharp i just poured one the other night after 3 weeks in the bottle.I always wait 4weeks but try one at 3!Your gonna love this brew! :cheers: