Honey Malt (Canadian) 1.00 lb, Grain, Steeped
MrB. Booster 0.50 lb, Sugar, Other
Muntons DME - Wheat (60%/40%)2.00 lb, Extract, Extract

Hallertauer (Germany) 0.50 oz, Pellet, 8 minutes
Hallertauer (Germany) 0.25 oz, Pellet, 20 minutes
Hallertauer (Germany) 0.25 oz, Pellet, 60 minutes

Corriander Seed 0.50 unit, Spice, .5 tsp, crushed
Orange Peel, Bitter 0.50 unit, Spice, .5 ounce
Safbrew WB-06 Dry Wheat Yeast 1.00 unit, Yeast, Temperature Range: 59°-75° F 11.5 GRAMS

Notes
-----
Recipe Notes:
Heat pot of 1 gallon water to 160*, add Crystal and Honey Malt, steep at 150* for 30 minutes
Heat 2nd pot of 1 gallon water to 200* and add DME, heat past hot break
Pour 1st pot into 2nd pot, straining grains. Rinse with .5 gallons of 175* water
Heat 2nd pot to rolling boil
Add:
- .25 oz Hallertauer hops, 40 minutes
- .25 oz Hallertauer hops, 5 minutes
- .5 ounce orange peel and .5 tsp corriander, 7 minutes
- .5 oz Hallertauer hops, 8 minutes
- 8 oz Booster, flamout
Cool wort to >70*, pitch yeast
Ferment for 7 days, boil 1 cup water with 4 oz honey then add to fermentation

My question is - it's getting hot here and if I ferment in my closet it will probably be close to 70-72*. I could probably rig up an ice/water bath of sorts to keep it in the lower 60s if need be. I have Wb-06, US-05, and T-58 as options for yeast. I want to use the WB06 but am afraid it my become a little to much banana for my liking (though, it my be a tasty addition??) Any ideas/suggestions?

Any of those yeasts will start adding their own flavors once you get into the 70's...if you want the yeast more neutral, you need to keep your temps down.

I have heard 70-72 provides a nice balance between clove and bananas for a wheat beer. It really depends on your tastes though, I'm quite partial to banana flavor

That sounds like a lot of honey malt to me. I don't know if steeping it is different than mashing it in terms of sweetness/flavor, but I made a honey wheat of nearly identical OG and only used 3.5 oz honey malt, for about 4% of the grist. Now, after tasting the FG sample, I certainly wouldn't say that was the max I'd use. In fact I'd probably use more if I made it again. But not a pound. Again, disregard if you've thought of this and it's just different for steeping.

Thanks SP - I just figured steeping wouldn't get that much out of the honey malt, but I may scale it back to 8 oz

allenc85 wrote:

Thanks SP - I just figured steeping wouldn't get that much out of the honey malt, but I may scale it back to 8 oz

I didn't notice this previously, but I'm with SenorPepe. I've steeped honey malt in a wheat beer...even at 4oz the flavor was very noticeable (not bad, just prominent, though it did mellow some with age). Your projected OG is higher than the beer I made with it, but I think 8oz may still be too much. With something like honey malt I think you're better using too little rather than too much the first time.

One other thought after I look at your recipe more...it looks like half of a darker honey wheat, and half of a wit (with the orange and corriander). Could be great, but I'd be worried that those various strong flavors may get muddied when all together. Just a thought.

Cheers!

Thanks for the input, I think I may knock it down to 4 or 6 oz Honey Malt, do .25 oz bitter orange and get rid of the coriander all together... Still debating on my yeast - as I don't have a cooler where I can assure temps in the 65-68 range, leaning towards the S-05