Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Elsteve-o

summer beer recipes

I am at a loss as to what I want to brew for the summer. I dont know if I want a pilsner type, or ale or lighter wheat beer. What are you guys brewing for summer? please include recipes if its a kit just a name or link will suffice. thanks in advance

-Elsteve-o

Seconded, I was trying to come up with some ideas too.
Beers that tolerate higher fermentation temps would be great as well for those of us without a dedicated cooling system

Guest System Admin

I'm getting ready for the summer with several lighter beers. I just put two beers into the fridge, one IPA (which actually turned out to be more of a summer ale, I did something wrong with the hops on that one), a Cream Ale which is a great light beer for a hot day, an English Bitter which should be a nice light, hoppy beer, and the Mr.Beer Raspberry Wheat that my girlfriend requested. I also plan on making a Hefeweizen and an Irish Red Ale soon.

If you want the recipes to any of these just ask, I don't want to type it all out if no one is interested! :) The IPA can be made using Mr.Beer ingredients and obviously so can the Raspberry Wheat. The others are all BIAB brews.

Yesterday, I bottled a five-gallon batch of White Panama, which is a blonde ale with orange highlights. It's a good lawnmower beer. Today I brewed a five-gallon batch of Crown Top IPA. So I'll have those two lighter-colored summer beers in the pipeline by Memorial Day. I intend to brew another batch of FedoraDave's American Ale so it's ready for the summer, too, and an interesting-sounding beer called BBQ Beer from a recipe book my daughter gave me for Christmas. These are all going to be five-gallon batches, so I'll have quite a lot of lighter ales ready for summer, which is what I like.

What's more important is, because it's more difficult to brew in the summer, you need to kind of get a jump on what you want to have available for the fall, since it might not be cool enough to brew in July and August, which is when you want to get your Oktoberfests going.

I just bottled an IPA and a California Common this week. I will be brewing a few more over the next couple weeks including possible a Rauchbier (great by the campfire with some grilled meat), an Irish Red (great session beer at just under 5%), a Spruce beer (first attempt, so hoping that will be nice).

I will mention that as FD said, it becomes a lot harder for some of us to brew in the summer as your fermentation space may be warmer than you'd like. If this is the case, brew something that likes that. Lots of wheat yeasts are OK with warmer temps (if it's a difference of 3-5 degrees). Saison is a great brew to make when it gets hot. I made one last year using Wyeast 3724 (Belgian Saison) and the temp zone is crazy high. I fermented at around 85* for the first 2 weeks and the yeast loved every second of it. It also turned out to be one of my best brews ever.

Saison recipe (MB sized batch, though I'd be more than happy to double this batch)
1.25# Pilsen DME
.75# Wheat DME
.75oz. Spalt for 45 minutes
.25oz. Spalt for 16 minutes
.5oz. Fresh Grated Ginger + .5oz. Orange Peel + 3g Paradise seeds for the last 5 minutes of boil

I have an Orange Wheat beer bottle conditioning made from the Witty Monk/Golden Wheat with some orange zest and coriander.

I also have an IPA fermenting made with WCPA/Golden Wheat with Centennial hops and apricot puree.

Hey Dave, could you PM or post up that White Panama recipe for me? I wanna convert that over to extracts and make that up. I've been looking for a good Lawnmower Beer recipe but haven't seen anything that caught my eye til now!

Guest System Admin

Imperial HefeWeizen, Strawberry Blonde, HCCD+Pale, maybe a few here or there

I brewed the Quick Creek Kolsch last year and loved it. It has been archived but you can still get all of the ingredients. Very nice beer for the hot Texas summers. Of the thirteen batches I've brewed this is only the second I enjoyed so much that I'll brew again.

T4G

You can make a super simple Blueberry Wheat:
1 can Whispering Weizenbier
1 pound wheat DME
1 can Oregon Blueberries, pureed, added after a week

0.5 oz of Hallertau, dry-hopped a week before bottling
2 ml of Blueberry Extract added to each MrB PET bottle.

WB-06 yeast

This was a major hit with the ladies last summer. Even people who don't normally drink beer loved it.

Just make sure to cold crash this before bottling.

I'm currently drinnking a Swen's lemonade that I brewed last summer. It's better now than last summer even after spending several months in the fridge. I will make another batch very soon to be sure I have plenty for the upcoming hot weather. I would suggest you give it a try.

:chug:

thanks guys I am still undecided but I am whittling it down to an extract or biab recipe I think.