Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
DaveJB

Use a blender for mixing the booster!

I just wanted to make a quick recommendation to you guys. The worst part of brewing my first time was dealing with dissolving the booster. I started using a blender and I mix it for about two minutes. I do recommend pouring it in through the top while it runs. I then continue to prepare the rest of the items needed to get the batch together and let it mix a bit longer. Voila! The hardest part of Mr. Beer brewing is hard no longer!

David

Neat suggestion. I guess since you are boiling the booster after you blended it you don't need to sanitize the blender first.

I've found what works best for me is to put the pan on to heat and as the water is coming up to temp to boil I then slowly add the booster, whisking to dissolve.

The warm water helps dissolve the booster pretty well, along with vigorous wishing. :)

Welcome DaveJB! :cheers:

Its an interesting idea but gotta be very cautious. Blenders have many nooks and cranniies(sp?) If you dont boil that booster long enough, you may introduce an infection, so tread carefully.

I only used booster a couple tims before moving on to the all malt recipe's but IIRC, it was easier for me to dissolve while warming it up and with a whisk.

"mnstarzz13" post=246855 said:

Its an interesting idea but gotta be very cautious. Blenders have many nooks and cranniies(sp?) If you dont boil that booster long enough, you may introduce an infection, so tread carefully.

I only used booster a couple tims before moving on to the all malt recipe's but IIRC, it was easier for me to dissolve while warming it up and with a whisk.

So why not sanitize the blender and then boil. Shouldn't that work?

"robames1" post=253466 said:

"mnstarzz13" post=246855 said:

So why not sanitize the blender and then boil. Shouldn't that work?

My post is based on the theory that you "can't sanitize dirt".

If the blender is not fully and properly cleaned and sanitized, with out heating the booster for an appropriate time to kill any bad guys introduced by a dirty blender, an infection could occur.

Makes sense. What does everybody think the right amount of time to boil is?

That depends on what extreme you want to take it, some bacteria starts dieing at 160F, others at higher temps. To make it simple I wouldn't do less than a 10 minute boil. The same amount of time recommended to sanitize your wort chiller, when you get one...it's only a matter of time. You've been assimilated, welcome to the Borg :borg:

Thanks. That move will most likely be in The Winter! Have a friend who will donate his equipment !

One thing to keep in mind: the directions state that the booster dissolves better in cold water. I've never had a problem with the booster dissolving. I've done the "cold water" thing and it dissolved completely in 2 to 5 minutes with just a simple whisk and gradually adding the booster while I stirred.

-cor-

I have been using a big spoon and keeping the water cool. I guess it is time to try the whisk, on my next batch that requires booster.

Invest in a whisk. It is still the best thing for mixing booster or DME in my opinion. The spoons tend to just slosh and move things around without dispersing quite so well if you ask me.

"robames1" post=253594 said:

I have been using a big spoon and keeping the water cool. I guess it is time to try the whisk, on my next batch that requires booster.

That was what I was doing and found it to be a pain in the rear as well. I'm definitely using a whisk on the next one.

I've been using an electric hand mixer. I put the beaters in the LBK to sanitize with the other tools. I think you're safe when you boil the booster. I'm going to try the blender next time. I've found dissolving of booster to be difficult, enough so that a whisk simply doesn't cut it for me. I wonder if the water makes a difference. My water (private well) makes great beer but it is very hard. I suspect that hardness makes the dissolving of the booster more difficult. That's why I like the mechanical assistance.

Two batches today, both using the blender on the booster. That's the way to go!!!!! Thanks for the tip.

My daughter has a small 'Magic-Bullet' style blender. I have used it on both fruit batches I have made to puree the fruit. I hadn't thought of using it on the booster but might give it a try. The blending container only holds about 3 cups though. The part I like is that all the components fit through the lid of the fermenting tank so I just drop it in with the measuring cup and spoon, etc. for sanitizing and let it all soak together.

Why not just put some of the sanitizing solution in your bullet/blender, give it a whirl, and let it set, just like you do with the LBK?