Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
powers1334

cold crashing questions...

just a couple questions on the cold crashing process. first off, what is the ideal temp for a 2-3 day cold crash? the reason is that a couple of my last batches didnt carb well and have white floaties in the beer. is this possibly because my cold crash was too cold or too long and most of the yeast died or never woke up from their winter nap? which brings up my next question, after a cold crash, does the beer need to be brought back to fermentation temps before bottling(i bottle prime). thanks guys, i appreciate any help.

I would say for cold crashing to keep the temp around 36 to 40 degrees and you normally go for around 24 to 48 hours.

There's no need to warm up before bottling. The yeast shouldn't go into any kind of permanent suspension, they will wake up and eat the sugar and give you co2. It may take a couple extra days but if you warm condition for 2 weeks or more it shouldn't matter.

As far as low carbing I would look at the time you warm conditioned and how much sugar you used. As far as the floaties I'm not sure, did the beer taste okay? How did you bottle? Were you careful not to oxidize the beer going into the bottle? What recipies did you make?

I brewed the mr beer irish red and a make shift leftovers brew....i used coopers drops in one and table sugar in the other. the red tasted ok...the other...hardly drinkable, but i think that is due to the rag tag recipe and out of date hme.

Blame the white floaties on the coopers drops. From what I've read about them many people have that same complaint.

Cold crash at fridge temps, the colder the better to help drop proteins out of suspension.
Bottle without letting the temp rise again - otherwise it sort of defeats the purpose. You will have plenty of yeast left in suspension to carb your beer.

Condition and carb at room temp as normal.