Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Cleveland013

A Sweet, Non Bitter Beer?

Hey guys,
Have a weird one for you.

A friend was over recently and showed an interest in my brewing hobby.

He said he'd pay for the ingredients if I'd brew a beer I think he's like. With the idea that even if he doesn't he'll still reimburse me. :)

He specifically liked the idea of me adding lactose to my wife's fruit type drinks to sweeten them up. He asked if the same could be done for beer.

He said he does likes some beers, but dislikes the bitterness in the after taste. He also has a sweet tooth when it comes to drinks.

Soooo LONG story short, :blink: is there ANY beers the Borg can recommend that are both SWEET and low in IBUs? I've seen some recipes that use lactose (stouts I think) to sweeten the taste.

I'm trying to stay away from a fruit beer if possible.

Right now I'm leaning more towards a wheat beer base.

I'm still green at this so AG or BIAB is still beyond me, although I would not be against a dry hop or using some DME along with an extract recipe.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

If you were doing all grain I'd suggest a low hopped wheat or rye beer.

With extract, maybe some wheat UME (liquid or dry as you prefer) light hopping with Hallertau in the 0.3-0.4 BU/GU range, maybe steep some crystal, clean American yeast?

EDIT: Or either Hallertau or Cascade at 20 for flavor, aroma as desired.

I like the professor's ideas. If you're not feeling up to doing a hop boil, you could use an HME from a premium refill and add a can of UME.

Since the premium HMEs use two for a batch, if you use just one, you'll have low IBUs and the HME will give you additional sweetness.

Thanks Professor and BP. Those are great starting points. I'll play around with qBrew using those ideas.

:)

Maybe something with the WWW HME? You could make it with a Mellow Amber UME and even throw half a package of booster into it, a bit of coriander and some orange rind. Simple, light, with a hint of citrus in the finish. If you use a good yeast that accentuates the fruity flavors, it might come across with a bit of sweetness.

Just some thoughts to keep it with basic, MRB, ingredients...

I was thinking you might want to look into an Oktoberfest recipe. They're lower in IBU and fairly malty, which would equal "sweet". Depending on the extracts you use, and maybe some adjuncts, you could enhance that sweetness a little more.

You know, the first homebrew I ever tried was a honey hefeweizen that had the honey added in the secondary fermentation stage. The honey flavor was decidedly present, but just short of being dominant.

Betolis wrote:

Kealia wrote:

Simple, easy, low hops = Bewitched Red w/Mellow Amber.

I agree with Kealia on this one. Pretty low bitterness even compared to the wheat HME/UME combinations.

I'm going to second (or third this). Very tasty brew. This is the swmbo's favorite

Another option on a tried and true recipe that many of us brewed a year or so ago after somebody posted it:

1 can WW HME
1 can Golden Wheat UME
1lb DME
1/2 cup honey

After 5-7 days, add a second 1/2 cup honey.

Good, light, refreshing and a definite honey smell and taste.

Kealia, it looks like the ingredients to the Scottish Wee Heavy, minus the Brown sugar. I was thinking about this one, but wanted an addition other than the butterscotch snapps they recommend. My wife isn't much of a hop head, so if I can make her happy, she supports my habit.

"FLBrewersfan" post=249054 said:

Betolis wrote:

Kealia wrote:

Simple, easy, low hops = Bewitched Red w/Mellow Amber.

I agree with Kealia on this one. Pretty low bitterness even compared to the wheat HME/UME combinations.

I'm going to second (or third this). Very tasty brew. This is the swmbo's favorite

SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED :laugh: