Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
nelgin

Good alternative to English Strong Ale?

I have a friend who liked my English Strong Ale, but with it being seasonable, there's no more left. Does anyone have a good alternative recipe to try out?

Thanks,
Nigel

I didn't purchase this one, but they pretty much give you the recipe - pale malt, crystal, and brown malt with goldings and fuggles. Shouldn't be too hard to get pretty close on a first attempt all grain. If you're going extract, you could do a light LME or DME and a decent amount of crystal malt (maybe C50-60L) steeped. The brown malt is the issue with steeping as it should be mashed, though you could probably get away with steeping a little bit, or maybe sub a touch of british chocolate instead (just winging it since I didn't brew this one...).

Hopefully someone whose had it can help you with an approximate hop schedule.

Cheers!

I was thinking something more along the lines of combining a couple of cans of whatever to get something close. It doesn't have to be exactly the same, just something similar.

I have never tried the English Strong Ale, either, but just messing with some MRB extracts to get your approximate colour and IBU with qbrew and trying to stick at least somewhat close to style, you could try something like this:

1 Can Bewitched Red Ale HME
1 Can Englishman's Nut-Brown Ale HME
1 Can Mellow Amber UME

Maybe Dry hop some (0.5 oz?) Fuggles and/or Goldings to get a similar aroma?

This would give a similar gravity, ABV, color and IBU, but I can't be certain on the flavor profile.

Regardless, its got me thinking it might be worth a try! lol.

Coopers Strong Dark Ale kit is almost exact taste-wise. However, I followed their directions and added sugar, turning it into a terribly thin and bitter recipe. Add DME instead and you will have it.

Bugladen,

I am going to make the Coopers porter next week and see that it calls for a pound of sugar. Base on your previous experience what should I substitute for the sugar?

He mentioned in his post to use DME (dry malt extract) instead, though you could also go with liquid malt extract. Either way probably go with pale as to not alter the taste too much from the kit