Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Joechianti

Virtual Meetups

Has anyone here ever done any kind of virtual meetups?

I see that people sometimes meet up in person, but it's pretty rare, as we all live so far apart and are usually working all the time.

I'm not exactly great using the computer, but I know there's chat rooms and Skype and stuff like that.

Sometimes I read people's posts and i just feel that i'd like to get to know that person better. Since meeting in person is impossible more often than not, maybe folks could sit down and talk over a few beers over the computer. :)

On second thought, probably just a dumb idea. There's already the song thread and the what you drinking tonight thread.

I just thought there were some folks I'd like to sit down and have a few beers with and knew it can't happen in person then wondered if anyone else ever felt that way.

Just one more in a long line of silly notions I often get.

I don't think it's a dumb idea, but I do think it would be a weird transition. Going out somewhere or even having people over to your house to have a few drinks is more of an event, while talking over skype is more of a one on one interaction where there is not much else to distract from any lulls in conversation.

But I feel that most of us are in the same boat as you, there are tons of people on these forums that I would love to grab a beer with!

I agree with Jon.

The idea is a good one. But I'm not really sure it would work or work well.

I think you'd have to have two like-minded people with enough in common beyond home-brewing to talk about to really engage in a conversation. Homebrewing is such an enormous field/hobby that you might think it could be an endless conversation...but when you stop talking and the dude you're looking at online stops talking and you're both looking deep into each others eyes....that's um, well, eeeyyyyehk. It's a totally different scenario when two dudes go out for a burger and discuss homebrewing and when the conversation stops, you have a chance to glance over at the broad two tables over wearing a skin-tight halter top or look over at the bar and see a game on the TV or see people outside the place walking by. Those kids of scenarios naturally spawn easier segways and conversations.

I think there are a lot of really neat people here that I would like to talk with and get to know as people. A lot of people who could broaden my life with infortmation, stories, and things like that.

You guys make good points. There are challenges to such a process. It was more of an impulsive thought at first. Maybe it could be developed into a workable deal, maybe not.

I realized afterward that we do have several threads that serve a similar purpose, sort of just a hang out and chat thing. But they're in such slow motion. I guess I still haven't developed a lot of patience. And we also have the Private Message feature, which is a good thing.

But I recall in the early days of AOL, the chat rooms were real popular. There were a lot of good chat rooms that were like little clubhouses or lounges where people could gather and shoot the breeze in "real-time" conversations. It was about as close to hanging out together in person as you were gonna get with someone who lives a thousand miles away.

I haven't done any of that for about 15 years now, and I don't even know if they still exist.

What I do know is that as Jon says there are tons of people on here that I would love to grab a beer with, but I know it will never happen because of the distance involved. I thought if we could set up a chat room or whatever they call it nowadays that could work like an on-line neighborhood bar where we could drop in and literally have a beer and chew the fat that would be cool.

I mean, the discussion board is a very good thing, but I find myself wishing for just a little more and just wondered if anyone else felt that way too. What we have now is like a chat room in slow motion. It's like stopping off at the corner bar and leaving a message for a buddy and then next time you come by checking to see if they left you a message. It's a good thing, but sometimes you just could enjoy a little more. :)

i could see a "chat room" working much better than skype. Unless you were meeting to discuss a specific issue/topic like a collaboration brew. Otherwise it might feel like a date LOL

Guest System Admin

No you hang up first.....No!! You hang up first!!

Very true. Looking back on it, skype is probably not the way to go about it at all.

I just read a post that happened to mention that Mr Beer was planning to revamp this site. I wonder if they could be persuaded to set up a chat room function in addition to the threads and the private message feature.

Does anybody know how or who to contact to offer such a request for consideration?

Well, they do have what amounts to a chat room in the form of the Online Live Support.

This could be our own little "live" bar...so-to-speak.

That's a great point, Christ. They could possibly just clone that on-line support function to create a virtual tavern for us. Half of me feels like this might just be asking for too much, but at the same time, half of me is thinking this is really not that hard to do in this day and age.

I can think of two key questions that need to be considered. First is just how practical is this to execute. Second is just how much interest is there in actually having and using it.

I would like to propose it to the moderators and see what they say. Couldn't hurt to ask. At least I hope not.

I think a chat room would be a burdon for MrBeer as they would have to moderate it. That would mean someone on hand 24/7. It would either be that or appoint some volunteer moderators. The problem with that is they can never be really sure when those volunteers would be online.

That's another good point, Roger. I don't know if having a live moderator at all times is mandatory or not. Maybe volunteers could commit to pre-determined shifts throughout the day, if it does turn out to be mandatory. Short shifts, of course.

I'm not all that up to speed on Facebook -- hell I might be the last person in the US without a Facebook account -- but I do know that Facebook has groups, and within these groups, you can have a group chat. A few of the AOL chat groups that Joe mentioned have migrated over to this model.

Participation is definitely the key question, as real-life often interferes with the "real-time" needed for such chats. That's one of the reasons forums still have their place in the online world.

Rick

Haha too true Matt, that's why I stay away from chatroulette!
In any case, Facebook does have a group chat function where any people from a group can all speak to each other in the same little text box, it isn't the prettiest but it is functional. Also I have seen in the past a couple sites that allow free sorts of chat rooms (often affiliated with those make your own forums sites). I'm not really sure how many still exist or if spamming becomes a big enough problem to need moderators but we could look into that as well.

I have thought many times that a drop in chat room would be nice to get quick answers or even to hang out in when we have some empty time at the end of the day.

Have you seen gas prices? :dry: I'm all about keeping it virtual.

If we can create a little 'virtual tavern' chat room for members of this Borg on a different site, that would be better than nothing. I just feel that if it was bundled with the Mr Beer site it would be best of all. When you dream, dream big, right?

This is just me, but I'm not out looking for a place to meet new people in the world. I truly am interested in a place to have a casual conversation over a nice beer or two specifically with people I already meet here on the Borg, outside the question and answer format of threads.

I know we 'sorta' have casual conversations on threads sometimes, but as crazy as it may sound, I long for the state-of-mind that only comes from sitting down at the corner bar having a beer with buddies. It's just not the same as people passing by "dropping off" comments and you drop by later and pick them up.

Instead of having the capability to address comments that were made days and weeks and months ago, the conversation is more in the 'here and now'. The comments are gone soon after they are made, and the conversation is always about the people and topics right there in the room at that time. That would make me feel more human and less computerized, even under the circumstances.

Heck, maybe we don't even need a chat room. Maybe a thread itself could actually be the Mr Beer Tavern. Maybe that's the simple answer. Maybe all we really need is a more specific thread with the atmosphere of a tavern and the deed is done. Could it be that simple? The only drawback there is the loss of spontaneity since the comments will be available to view and respond to for days and weeks later.

Joechianti wrote:

Heck, maybe we don't even need a chat room. Maybe a thread itself could actually be the Mr Beer Tavern. Maybe that's the simple answer. Maybe all we really need is a more specific thread with the atmosphere of a tavern and the deed is done. Could it be that simple? The only drawback there is the loss of spontaneity since the comments will be available to view and respond to for days and weeks later.

This is kind of like "The No-Post Post Thread" that already exists in the Community Drain Pipe, isn't it???

BlackDuck wrote:
"This is kind of like "The No-Post Post Thread" that already exists in the Community Drain Pipe, isn't it???"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Actually, that's what I'm starting to think, too. I'm honestly not sure if we can create something more personable and a more life-like corner bar experience or if we already have it as good as it can get. I just had an idea and wanted to see if anyone else had similar leanings. It may or may not amount to anything.

The avatar based sequl to AOL. (creepy and sexual but then again so was AOL) I did check and they do have a home brewers group that meets there. Wether it is active or not I have no idea.

Okay. Definitely worth checking out. Gotta work all night, but will try to see what that one's like this weekend. Who knows? We might get lucky there.

[EDIT]- Wait a minute. I just realized what you said. I'm okay with creepy, but I wasn't looking for sexual. I better really check it out carefully.

Joechianti wrote:

. Who knows? We might get lucky there.

If that's what you're looking for. :laugh:

The only way I can see a chatroom working in a practical sense is to have it open only at certain times. And even then, you might have to have volunteers from the Borg moderate it at times, as opposed to Mr. Beer personnel.

Say it was open from 8 pm Eastern Time to 1 am Eastern Time, with an East Coaster, such as me, or BugLaden, or D Rabbit (I'm only using these names because I know they live on the East Coast, I'M NOT VOLUNTEERING ANYONE) moderating from 8 Eastern to 10 Eastern, then someone from further west to finish it out.

Even then, it might not work all that well, but as I said, it's the only way I can see it actually working.

It might also be necessary to have passwords assigned so we don't get unwanted intruders crashing the party.

Just a thought....

We still don't know what the New Makeover is going to be. It's suppose to get sprun on us in about a weeks time...

FedoraDave's idea of the password to access is a good one. With that thought in mind, is there really a need for a moderator. For example, let's just say I PM Fedora and we decide on a time to "chat", why should we need to have someone else moderate our conversation? Now, if someone else logs in and shows up in the chat room and comes into the conversation, so be it. We are all adults here, we should be able to handle ourselves accordingly.

If Fedora and I were to meet in person at a bar, we wouldn't have a moderator tail along to make sure our conversation was meeting certain guidelines or something. We would meet, sit at the bar, have some beers and enjoy the company and conversation.

yankeedag wrote:

We still don't know what the New Makeover is going to be. It's suppose to get sprun on us in about a weeks time...

Where did everyone hear about the makeover? Was there a post I missed?

berryman wrote:

yankeedag wrote:

We still don't know what the New Makeover is going to be. It's suppose to get sprung on us in about a weeks time...

Where did everyone hear about the makeover? Was there a post I missed?

It's on Farce Bood. (face book).

Mr.Beer® The community site is actually just about to launch with a major software upgrade. Look for it early next week.
Mr.Beer® its taking longer than anticipated but we are committed to maintaining all pages, and every single post in the forum. It'll happen!

There's the pert newz :side:

I just go there to give my son a hard time...and then, there's the part where he gives it back to me. It's fun. Other than that, there isn't much use for FB other than a quick post to update or see what your other friends are up to.

You know there are a few ways that we could do this! If people want to do a video meet up Google Plus has a feature called Hang out that you can video chat with up to about 20 other people. You of course would need a Google Gmail account to get started but it works really well and you wouldn't have to worry about moderating it.

Another option would be an instant chat room. There would be no audio or video just instant chat. This would require some moderation but I think it would be nice to just have a good improptu conversation with a few fellow brewers. I have the software and a website address that I could set it up on if anyone would be interested in giving it a try! It would take me a day to get it set up. Just let me know and I can get to work on it.

:cheers:

Glad you like it Joe! :)

Now, what we can do is set up dates and times that people can meet up in the "Tap Room" Like Sundays at 6pm eastern for a meet up, or people could just do it impromptu. Whatever works best for whoever wants to use it.

Also the software allows for making different rooms, either public or private for whatever topics you wish! If people want to have permanent rooms with a certain topic we can do that too, just let me know! :)

I do want to promotes some people to Moderators so others can help keep control of the chat rooms. (Let me know if your interested in being a Mod.)

yankeedag wrote:

waiting for the email reply

Check your spam filters on your email. When I first set this up and did a test registration the registration email went to Spam/junk mail.

checked...no such luck

checked inbox
checked spam
checked trash
tryed to re-register...says I'm already registered..

...maybe later :huh:

yankeedag wrote:

checked...no such luck

checked inbox
checked spam
checked trash
tryed to re-register...says I'm already registered..

...maybe later :huh:

sent you a PM here on the board. I can try deleting your account so you can try again. Do you have another email address that you can use?

I registered last night and had a brief test session with L0uie. Seemed to work quite well. I hope this takes off.

Rick

I tried to register but never got my email confirmation. Now it says my nick is taken so I am out of luck.

Gymrat wrote:

I tried to register but never got my email confirmation. Now it says my nick is taken so I am out of luck.

I have deleted your account, Yankeedag ran into the same problem and he re-registered with a different email address. So Try it again and let me know if you still run into problems.

yankeedag wrote:

whenever I pop in there, it's just me, myself, and I'm not sure

Right now there are only 6 people registered for the chat room so it might be hard to get a conversation going. You can invite others to join and it might also help if we post an actual date and time for a meet up.

Thanks for setting this up. I registered. But I'm not sure how often I will be able to stop in. Evenings would usually by my best time, but I'm busy with my 2 year old daughter. I'll stop in and say hi sometime!!

I'm so happy to see this thing up and running. Ironically, as excited as I was to seet his happen, I've been too bust to enjoy it since Louie got it set up. Yard work, job, taxes, they all piled up on me. Also work nights, so that puts me upside down, socially.

But I'm so happy to see this, I'm very grateful to Louie, and I am so looking forward to dropping in soon to hang out. For those that are having some issues getting set up in there, don't give up. If there one thing us brewers have, it's patience, right?

I tried it this afternoon. Had a brief chat with yankeedag and Beer-Lord, and Lot8Brewing showed up for a little while.

This is a pretty good idea.

BlackDuck wrote:

Thanks for setting this up. I registered. But I'm not sure how often I will be able to stop in. Evenings would usually by my best time, but I'm busy with my 2 year old daughter. I'll stop in and say hi sometime!!

Just like your neighborhood watering hole, just drop in when you can and you will always be welcome!

Just got home from work and went into the chat room. Sadly nobody there this time of night. But it's great, smiley's and all. Can't wait to show up when other folks are there too.

I've enjoyed my few visits to the chat room. Great way to chill and BS with the borg.
Of course, if learning something happens too, that's a bonus.

Ah a chat room cool! I'm not a big fan of browser chatting though, I like my MIRC client.
I don't know if any of you use IRC at all. It's been around for years and I still use it. There's a channel on efnet called #homebrew that has some moderators in it frequently.
Everyone there is pretty friendly, I was bsing with them about some craft brews and my own brewing adventure.
One guy is making a brew with oak chips soaked in scotch.

Too many old pharts breakin wind in there..... drive the program to an early demise. LOL

"yankeedag" post=268620 said:

I'm loitering in the Tap Room...

Then there were two!

Grab a brew and come on by!

The wife is playing farmville... so, I guess I can spend some time in the tap room... if your interested....

I'm there, for a couple more minutes. U must be hiding... LOL

I'm THEEEEEEEEEEEEErrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeee..... LOL

u'r not :barman:

Just poked my head into the Tap Room to wish everyone a happy new year. The Skype thing I saw posted at the beginning of this thread seemed like a neat idea. Anyone do that, still?