Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Nealoneal

Dry Hopping advice

Hey,
I borrowed a recipe from bugladen and added my mistakes/tweaks to it.

It's a Hefewiesen (i think)

The basic recipe I brewed was:
steeped, .25# Carahell, .1# honey malt

3# Bavarian Wheat DME
.3oz Tettnang pellet hops for 60min
1/4 tspn corriander for 10min
1/2 tspn orange zest 10min

3492 Wyeast Belgian Wheat liquid yeast

it's been in the lbk for two days now

My questions are about dry hopping. I have the remaining .7oz of tettnang that I plane to throw in at 7days in the fermenter. Is that a proper time to do it? Is this a waste of hops? will I notice a difference and if I do will it be a good one? I have never dry hopped and in general I am an ambitious newb. Should I just save these for something else?

Also let me know if I should have posted this in another category.

Thanks
in advance!

If you want your hief to have a hop aroma then tossing them in at 7 days is the way to go. If you use a hop bag be sure to sanitize it. I sanitize mine by putting it in a bowl of water and nuking it for a minute or two. Don't tie the bag very close to the hops at all as they expand a LOT.

Keep in mind that a hief generally has very little if any hop presence. But that is just a guide line. Brew the beer to your own taste.

I'm not sure that's a hef, as it sounds more like a belgian wit to me. Had to look up that yeast strain: "Apple, bubblegum and plum-like aromas blend nicely with malt and hops."

Personally, for either a hef or a wit I like the yeast to shine through as it should. If you get apple, bubblegum and plum aromas *I* wouldn't want to cover that up with a dry hop. If you've never brewed this recipe nor used that yeast, you *may* want to reconsider that dry hop.

But, as stated, it's your beer not mine.

Guest System Admin

Kealia wrote:

I'm not sure that's a hef, as it sounds more like a belgian wit to me. Had to look up that yeast strain: "Apple, bubblegum and plum-like aromas blend nicely with malt and hops."

Personally, for either a hef or a wit I like the yeast to shine through as it should. If you get apple, bubblegum and plum aromas *I* wouldn't want to cover that up with a dry hop. If you've never brewed this recipe nor used that yeast, you *may* want to reconsider that dry hop.

But, as stated, it's your beer not mine.

+1 I would have maybe added them, a 1/2 oz at that, at the 20 min mark of your boil. I wouldn't dry hop them if it were me. Don't throw them away either use them in your next batch.