Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ekirch

Revolutionary Bitter

I'm about to brew a batch of rev. bitter. I have an extra packet of dry yeast laying around. What would happen if I added that in addition to the other packet. In other words, would doubling the yeast bring any positive (or negative) effects-taste, body, abv, etc. I should also ad that the second packet of yeast is a couple months old, not sure if it goes bad or not.
Thanks in advance for any input
Erik

Positive. In fact, the one packet is too little in my opinion. Less chance to stress yeast and cause off flavors. I always used 2-3 of that yeast back when i used it.

As stated, having more yeast will offer less chance to stress yeast and cause off flavors. So, improve flavor would be my answer. I suppose you could see an increased ABV in the event that the too-low pitched yeast gave up before the job is finished, but really I think the yeast generally would finish but may impart off flavors if pitched too low in most cases.

yeast coverts the sugars to alcohol and Co2. so, for the most part, using one pack of mr beer yeast (the fromunder) is like using a shovel to dig a ditch. using 2 or 3 is like using a ditchwhich to do the same ditch. using a 11.5 gram packet is like using a back hoe. After all is said and done, they're just digging a hole. Adding a little more yeast just gives you a bigger shovel.

Thanks. Is the age of the extra yeast (2-3 months) something to be concerned about?

nah. just realize, if it's dead (shouldn't be at that age) it just turns in to yeast food anyway.

Very good. Thank you both for the input . I'm excited to brew this recipe.

I've read that by dry pitching yeast that up to half of it won't survive. After so-so results only achieving 65% attenuation with a single pack of fromunda on my first batch I rehydrated the yeast on the second batch. Pretty easy to do and only took 30 minutes to while I was just sitting there during a hop boil. I got a nice thick krausen and very active fermentation in about 8 hours.

if you want to give your yeasties a wee head start, take a tbls of UME..or even HME (depending on what your doing), sanitize some water, bring the temp to about 70*F, then add that TBS of "X"ME, mix it well, then add the Fromunder yeast, cover, and then start your doings for the brew. By the time your ready to add the yeast, you should have a container of rabies at the ready.

Pretty much what Palmer recommends...

Re-hydrating Dry Yeast
1. Put 1 cup of warm (95-105F, 35-40C) boiled water into a sanitized jar and stir in the yeast. Cover with Saran Wrap and wait 15 minutes.
2. "Proof" the yeast by adding one teaspoon of extract or sugar that has been boiled in a small amount of water. Allow the sugar solution to cool before adding it to the jar.
3. Cover and place in a warm area out of direct sunlight.
4. After 30 minutes or so the yeast should be visibly churning and/or foaming, and is ready to pitch.