Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Trumpetguy

Finally did it!

Well, after much reading and researching and watching videos, I finally brewed my first batch today. Hopefully, I didn't make too many newbie mistakes.

Things went reasonably well. Everything dissolved properly, the temps were correct, I did have a small spill when I poured the wort into the LBK. Not very much, maybe an ounce or two, but what a sticky gooey mess!! I'd hate to think what a big spill would be like! Anyway, hopefully the brewing gods will look favorably upon me and let me have a good first batch.

I brewed WCPA by the kit instructions, but I did add 2 packets of yeast instead of just one. I'm planning to follow the 3-2-2 brewing schedule.

We'll see what happens in about 3 weeks. Thanks for all the great information you all share on this board. It's guys like you that help give us noobs a much better start!!

Good Brewing!!

Congrats! And good on you for reading up on things before brewing. It definitely makes for a much better experience overall.
I just spilled a little for the first time too on like my 9th batch, but my gravity reading afterwards was still pretty much on target so I'm not worried, if yours was small it shouldn't be a big deal either
Happy brewing!

Trumpetguy wrote:

Well, after much reading and researching and watching videos, I finally brewed my first batch today. Hopefully, I didn't make too many newbie mistakes.

Things went reasonably well. Everything dissolved properly, the temps were correct, I did have a small spill when I poured the wort into the LBK. Not very much, maybe an ounce or two, but what a sticky gooey mess!! I'd hate to think what a big spill would be like! Anyway, hopefully the brewing gods will look favorably upon me and let me have a good first batch.

I brewed WCPA by the kit instructions, but I did add 2 packets of yeast instead of just one. I'm planning to follow the 3-2-2 brewing schedule.

We'll see what happens in about 3 weeks. Thanks for all the great information you all share on this board. It's guys like you that help give us noobs a much better start!!

Good Brewing!!

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center Trumpetguy. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: We have beer. ...and so will you. Save up some 16oz soda bottles, that way you can put your beer in that instead of those 1 liter bottles. Just rinse the soda bottles out real well with COLD water.

Welcome to the Borg. Read all the stickies on the New Brewers page and then get ready for some good homebrew!

I too spilled my first batch when pouring to the keg. Then I bought a stainless steel pot with a pouring lip. Very sound investment. Brew on. :cheer:

Guest System Admin

Welcome aboard!

Welcome, you have beer in the works.
Sure wish I had found this site B4 I made my first 2 brews. I had first one in the bottle and second in the keg. Found the borg.
Changed my ways.
Being retired, I have the time to read all I can find on making beer. I read for weeks, all day during that first month of brewing.

You did it right from the start. You will have good beer.

Trumpetguy - +1 on the welcome!

I'm sure that your batch of WCPA will turn out great. It is the first of many! :woohoo:

Thanks for all the welcomes and the information. I'll be on here daily to see what I can learn next! Like my Grandpa used to say, I'm like a dude cowboy, I've got a lot to learn. I'm definitely in the right place to learn it though!

Welcome... I'm a noob also. I, too, currently have the WCPA conditioning (this is week 2 now) while I have an Octoberfest Vienna / Amber sitting in the LBK. I will probably let that one sit another week before bottling. I went ahead and bought the Coopers Carbination drops since measuring the sugar was a PITA and a lot of people recommended it. I have another kit on the way with another WCPA (which I will probably use for a Pumpkin Porter later in ) and, more importantly, another LBK so I can have a rotation going as well as another "recipe" on its way as well. Overall, I should have a decent rotation going with the 6 different beers going on at different phases.

My wife has recently been buying 24 packs of Perrier which has perfect 1 pint sized PET bottles. They even look like beer bottles. All I can say about the new "obsession" is that "the waiting" is the hardest part.

Again, welcome!

-cor-