Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Guest System Admin

Remodeling - a work in progress

Guest System Admin

Welcome to the newly remodeled community.mrbeer.com!

BAD NEWS: We are still cleaning up some loose ends.
GOOD NEWS: Everything important was moved including forum posts, user information, and help files.

We should complete the move in the coming week. Thanks for your patience during this transition! The upside is we are on the most recent versions of all software which give up dramatically more flexibility to add more features in the future.

Love to hear your constructive criticism.

Peter

:hammer: :drinking: :banana:

Looking pretty there Peter! I really like the No replies tab.

One thing, I know awhile back during the "BorgBrew" experiment, there was some request for the feature to embed a poll question. Users would vote and the results are shown. I looked at Kunena's site back then and seen the option was available on their latest software. Any chance that'd be available sometime?

Edit: I see it now! its only available to thread originators. very cool!

can't complain... haven't seen it in action yet. Can't wait tho :chug:

got a question... when you've finished with a subject, how is the easiest way to get back to the main boards? you got to scroll to the bottom and hit the go button? nothing to just pop you back to the main subject or all the subjects?
just askin... :borg:

Guest System Admin

Just click the appropriate breadcrumb at the button of the page. See them?

Looks good so far.

Is there a recommended place to put test posts? I've wanted to try things but didn't want to annoy the other users with my testing.

Is there a way to get Help other than the help button which is a dead end?

I love the forum and have learned much here since I joined the ranks last December.

Thanks.

Is the PM feature gone for now or gone for good....or do i need my eye balls inspected?

I like how those who haven't selected a gender, it says Unknown :lol:

I can't find PM's either. Not even a place that gives you the option of turning it on or off.

"mrbeer" post=249245 said:

Pm's should work now.

:)

The button is there but older messages are gone.

Sorry, older messages were not able to be retained.

just fyi the wording on the left is really hard to see... it needs to be fixed.........................bold black or somthing darker than light blue

"cwolfley" post=249250 said:

just fyi the wording on the left is really hard to see... it needs to be fixed.........................bold black or somthing darker than light blue

I agree...a little darker would help.

Looks pretty good Peter...

Different but strangely similar.

I like the page number blocks in the threads...

And the no replies tab...

I can live with the menu text on the left, but I agree darker would be better...

Like the poll option.

Too bad about the historical PM's though.

Good job, keep the new functionality coming!

:borg:

I noticed the "preview" button is gone when you're replying. I thought that was a good thing...gave me a chance to double check my reply.

"mnstarzz13" post=249264 said:

Black duck, there are a couple icons for that. Just under the bold icon

Sweet... I see it. Thanks

It seems that after voting in a poll, I am unable to use my browser's back button to back out of the topic.

Guest System Admin

Looks good! Thanks for all the hard work to keep the playground evolving.

Just noticed the No Replies Tab, that is freaking awesome. What a great way to get the oldies to the newbies and make them feel at home and answer their questions. :thumbs:

Oh and we need a thumbs smiley :P

Definitely a clean look. Thanks for the temporary link until the move is completed. B)

So far, so good. I'm glad it's not DRAMATICALLY different than before. Agree about sadness of wiping out the old PM messages. Also agree that the links in left column could stand to be a tad darker. Definitely like the little "Thank You" link on each post. Thanks for the great effort. This is a wonderful community and it's good to see it maintained.

Guest System Admin

Just want to see if I can still post a picture...

[attachment=7641]Husband_Daycare.jpg[/attachment]

Yep. It still workee. :cheers:

"Beer-lord" post=249393 said:

I can't preview a post before posting. Is this just not available yet?

Look right below the BOLD icon and you'll see two different preview pane selections.

I noticed that the forum automatically times you out if your not active. In other words, if you log in, then walk away, it will log you out after a period of time. Not sure I like that....I might log in, then go eat, then come back. On the old site, I was still logged in, now I'm not.

so, just wanting to preview the pannels here. seems like a good option here :borg: kinda helps with the placement of icons :chug: ok, this option is Nong approved. :cheers:

I will say that the new forum seems much faster than the old one. I don't know if that's from a hardware upgrade, or database optimizations, but there is a definite speed difference. Nice job!

I'm sure there's a lot of updates under the hood to make things faster. The old forum was getting a bit long in the tooth.

Looks ok ta me, but I am wondering, can I now use animated icons for my pic? :mow:

Looks good just needs a url instead of just an ip address.

"BlackDuck" post=249465 said:

I noticed that the forum automatically times you out if your not active. In other words, if you log in, then walk away, it will log you out after a period of time. Not sure I like that....I might log in, then go eat, then come back. On the old site, I was still logged in, now I'm not.

The idle user timeout is now just like the old Community Site. :)

- Josh B -

"mrbeer" post=249597 said:

"BlackDuck" post=249465 said:

The idle user timeout is now just like the old Community Site. :)

- Josh B -

Josh...if your saying that it will not longer time out so quick...then THANKS!!!

Like the "new" site for the most part, will take some getting used to, but in a good way.

I'm pretty upset about the old PM messages being deleted. I had a few recipes, addresses of BORG members along with conversations in progress. I wish we could have had some warning about them going away so I could have wrote down some of the info. :smash:

Looks like they added some contrast so it's not so white...and the wording on the left side is darker too. Thanks for listening to some of our recommendations and making the changes. It's much easier on the eye!!!
:cheers:

+100 to listening and responding to concerns and feedback so well. A rare thing nowadays. I'm impressed and grateful, as I'm sure most here are as well. Pleasantly surprised.
:chug:

New set up looks clean abd runs fast. Would suggest reducing the left and right margins, there is alot of open air on either side. B)

Just a thought. Took me a few days to notice that I had a PM. I did notice that there is a color change, I think, to the text when You have a PM. I think it is red when you have a message and blue when you don't. Anyways, would be nice if it jumped out a bit more to notify you. I like how the old one had the green envelope and it seemed to light up when you have a message. Maybe the words can pulsate the color instead of just be one solid color.

[attachment=7698]IS.jpg[/attachment]
I think I don't know how to post a pic now
Maybe

Already read messages seem to be tied to the last login date. Most sites update the last login date based on activity, so if you updated the Recent Messages post 30 minutes ago the system records that your last login was 30 minutes ago. This allows the unread messages to be up-to-date, and was the behavior of the old forum.

However, after the upgrade, last login is not updating and is stuck on the last actual login date. This means that unless I log out, I constantly get unread message indicators even though I've read them.

"BugLaden" post=252883 said:

Already read messages seem to be tied to the last login date. Most sites update the last login date based on activity, so if you updated the Recent Messages post 30 minutes ago the system records that your last login was 30 minutes ago. This allows the unread messages to be up-to-date, and was the behavior of the old forum.

However, after the upgrade, last login is not updating and is stuck on the last actual login date. This means that unless I log out, I constantly get unread message indicators even though I've read them.

I find that condition to exist when I use the back button to get out f the message thread and back to the Recent Posts tab...

But, if I just hit the Recent Posts tab link itself, it updates reliably.

Actually, I'm experiencing the same scenario as described by BugLaden. For example: I click on the "Recent Posts" tab and it shows that a topic has 5 new messages. I click on the "New" hyperlink and it correctly takes me to the first of those new messages. After reading, I click on the "Recent Posts" tab again, and it correctly shows that there are not any new messages for that topic. But, if somebody else adds a new message to that post thread while I am still logged-in, a refresh of the "Recent Posts" will show that I have 6 new messages, and clicking on the "New" hyperlink takes me back to same spot as when it showed 5 new messages.

In the interim, I've taken to clicking on the "Last Post" hyperlink to circumvent this behavior.

Rick