Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
TomToro

Out of bottles. Anywhere cheap?

I bottled my 7 gallon ipa and 60 bottles later, I'm out of empties. Cheapest I've found is $14.99 for 24 12oz.

Anybody found anything cheaper online? I used up all my .10$ deposits and everybody I know use the screw tops.

I have about 15 gallons left that will be ready next month.

Any Ideas?
Thanks,
Tom

I've seen lots bottles for sale on Craigslist although I've never bought any from there. Search for bottles or homebrew or something like that.

I get lots of bottles from a local bar - they save them for homebrewers. I say bring a couple samples of your homebrew to a local watering hole and ask if they would save a few cases of pry-offs for you. If your state has a bottle deposit, they are probably saving them anyway, so just pay the deposit, I'm sure they'll be glad to give them to you.

I do what Russki says I live pretty close to MI I just go to the liquor store and get a case for $2.40

just be ready to really clean those bottles cause people like to put the nastiest things in there empties..

"DesreveR" post=249340 said:

I do what Russki says I live pretty close to MI I just go to the liquor store and get a case for $2.40

just be ready to really clean those bottles cause people like to put the nastiest things in there empties..

eeew
thats why i dont mind spending $15 on a NEW case of empties

Yeah, I worked in nightclubs for years and some of the stuff that found its way into empty beer bottles was pretty disgusting! I have honestly seen a used condom in an empty Corona bottle.

Not sure how good I would feel about getting bottles from the local pub, but a good rinse and a day's soak in OxiClean will make just about any bottle sparkle, I would imagine.

"manosteel9423" post=249400 said:

Yeah, I worked in nightclubs for years and some of the stuff that found its way into empty beer bottles was pretty disgusting! I have honestly seen a used condom in an empty Corona bottle.

Not sure how good I would feel about getting bottles from the local pub, but a good rinse and a day's soak in OxiClean will make just about any bottle sparkle, I would imagine.

It was a Corona. I'd be willing to bet the condom was there when the bottle was opened. (Hey! We don't have the throw-up smiley any more. :( ) Kinda like the worm in the bottle of tequila.

+1 on craigslist.. I picked up 250+ free ones from brewers moving up to kegging... But you need to check a couple of times a day and be ready to get them before someone else sees the ad.
Haven't had much luck, at least in my area, getting them from bars...

I know I've said this before somewhere but I get a lot of bottles from Bell's General store they say $8.00 a case of 12 oz online but when I go there I get them for $5.00 a case and $8.00 a case of 22oz I think it depends on where you are as to what the shipping cost would be.

MY LHBS had 1212's for $13.
I say buy Sam's , etc. with the FREE beer in em.

:gulp:

"DesreveR" post=249425 said:

I know I've said this before somewhere but I get a lot of bottles from Bell's General store they say $8.00 a case of 12 oz online but when I go there I get them for $5.00 a case and $8.00 a case of 22oz I think it depends on where you are as to what the shipping cost would be.

$18 to ship an $8 case of 12oz bottles to me :blink:

Yea my LHBS has used bottles they save and sell for $.85/12 pack. Granted the last time I went I was SUPER pissed when I got them home...the company they had been drinking and saving uses plastic labels and those things SUUUUUUCK! Couldn't get all the glue off no matter how hard I scrubbed.

You can always take up drinking rootbeer and save the bottles :P

Guest System Admin

Freecycle.org has posts all the time about clean bottles for brewing.

Check your local area freecycle

+1 to the root beer. I wait until the A&W 6-packs go on sale for $2.50 and buy a few of them. I really love the bottles and the whole family loves the root beer. Great combo for 40 cents each. They are my bread-and-butter beer bottles now. Each batch as a few 12 0z PET's for early samples and a quart or two for when company shows up. But most of it goes into A&W pints.

[attachment=7649]RB_2012-03-29.jpeg[/attachment]

"genotype" post=249608 said:

"DesreveR" post=249425 said:

$18 to ship an $8 case of 12oz bottles to me :blink:

yeah I figured it would be pretty high for folks further away I've only had them ship hops to me and for a lb it was 6 bucks and I'm only 1.5 hours away.

"Joechianti" post=249627 said:

+1 to the root beer. I wait until the A&W 6-packs go on sale for $2.50 and buy a few of them. I really love the bottles and the whole family loves the root beer. Great combo for 40 cents each. They are my bread-and-butter beer bottles now. Each batch as a few 12 0z PET's for early samples and a quart or two for when company shows up. But most of it goes into A&W pints.

[attachment=7649]RB_2012-03-29.jpeg[/attachment]

I've heard some pretty bad tales about rootbeer bottles. not getting all that flavor outta the plastic and then having it leak into the bottled beer. Have ya had good luck with them all?

I used the root beer bottles on part of my first two batches and there was a distinct rootbeer flavor in all those beers. It wasn't overpowering but it was there for sure. I hear if you rinse it out good with cold water and soak in oxyclean you can get the smell out, but if you use warm water it sets in permanently. I also heard of soaking them with a bleach water solution for a day night work. Im not certain, I threw the bottles away and went to glass. The A&W are good looking and nice sized tho.

Actually, I just rinse mine out with cold tap water, then fill them up with cold tap water and let soak a day. Then rinse again with cold tap and dry them out. My tap water is highly chlorinated, so I add nothing to it. I've had no trouble at all with lingering flavors.

You can still smell a little root beer in the water after soaking a day, but that's good it's in the water instead of the bottle. That's why I rinse it again after dumping that water out. Piece of cake.

I get mine from my LBHS, used bottles $6 a case, new bottles with labels $8 a case and new bottles no labels for $10 a case. I usually buy the bottles with lables since it is $2 cheaper and i dont mind removing the lables. My only problem is i cant figure out what happens to the cases after there filled, me thinks the wife is hiding them.

Why are you not just buying beer, drinking the beer, and keeping the bottles?
I got my entire bottle inventory that way. Of course, I can't fit into 36 waist anymore.

I buy all my bottles at the liquor store now because they include free beer that I get to drink as I soak and peel the labels off of them and replace them with my own labels. Things really took off once I started asking my home brew loving friends to save they're store bought empties for me too, now I have nearly 300 glass bottles and counting.