Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
robames1

One Step vs Star San or others?

I was visiting my LHBS. I was told that One Step is not a sanitizer, but a cleaner. Star San was suggested. I have read about Star San here on the forum. Getting ready to bottle my 3rd batch of Beer, a Bengal Tiger IPA and am wondering if I should get the Star San and not use the One Step.

Thanks!

I've used both with no problems at all but I love Star Sans. It's more expensive but you might find better prices online than the LHBS as mine is about $2 more locally. One of the few things that are but, a little goes a long way and it works well. The foam allows it to work everywhere and it's pretty much on contact.
I love the stuff.

Thanks! I guess I will use the One Step, since I have it and it will save a trip. But will move to Star San going forward.

The only reason I didn't start using Star-San earlier was that I was too lazy to figure out how much to use for mixing with just a gallon of water (about 1/16 of an inch over the 5 ml. mark in the dispensing reservoir). When you take into account how long it lasts, Star-San is quite a lot cheaper than One-Step. I bought a 16 ounce container of Star-San so long ago I can't even remember--probably well over a year ago-- and I've gone through less than 1/3 of it. I'd guess at least thirty batches.

If you get into the world of clubs and competitions, you'll find that Star-San is used by the majority of long term brewers. Keep a spray bottle filled with Star-San solution. Very, very handy, and no worries about shelf life.

I'm not as fruggle as you oly but it does last awhile and is definitely cheaper than One Step. I've done about 12 batches (varying sizes) and have only used about 1/3 of my container. I save as much as I can in 1 gallon jugs and reuse when I can.
Plus, awhile back I got it on sale for about $7 which, compared to my LHBS, saved me $6. That's a good deal.

I have really hard water where I live, and I've noticed that One-Step can leave a white mineral residue on things even after an hour of soaking. I haven't seen this problem with StarSan, since it's acid-based.

StarSan is the way to go. Before that, I was buying a lot of one-Step and constantly running out. I take brita-filtered water and fill up an empty gallon jug with the correct amount of StarSan. The gallon will usually last me a month. Also, by using the spray bottle, you can sanitize on the fly.

Thanks for all the feedback. I am just using what I have so I will go to Star San when I am done with the One Step. Any feedback on One Step not being a sanitizer?

I was talking to a guy at my LHBS a few weeks ago. When I mentioned that One-Step was the stuff that came in the MB kits, he just kinda shook his head. When I asked him why, he said that the FDA doesn't consider it an effective food-grade sanitizer. He also mentioned that it requires more contact time, and breaks down much faster than StarSan.

One Step can't be labelled as a sanitizer because they didn't go through the process to get it approved to do so, but many people have used it as a sanitizer with no problem. As far as contact time goes, it doesn't take all that much contact time for it to sanitize. The reason longer times are given is to ensure it fully dissolves. Actual contact time required is comparable to Star San.

I generally prefer Star San, but I use One Step at times as well.

I haven't used it yet, but just got in a 36 oz of starsan because I'm going to start kegging. From everything I've read and have heard from local brewers, its the way to go. I've been using one step, but when you have to use it for sanitizing 5 gal batches it disappears pretty fast. The starsan should last a lot longer, it requires less contact and the foam penetrates everything. Or so I hear. Depending on your water hardness and pH, you can keep it for quite a while in a sealed container. You can't do that with one step.

I switched to StarSan over a year ago because it's cheaper and way faster acting than One-Step, which is priceless on bottling day. Just knowing that sanitizing everything takes 10 minutes of soaking with OneStep was reason alone to switch to StarSan, but I like saving money wherever I can too.

I am still using one step. I have since the beginning. For me it is more of an "if it aint broke don't fix it" thing than anything else.

Guest System Admin

I have like 40 packets of one-step since every MB order gets you one and I switched to Star-san pretty fast.

Almost tempted to post on Freecycle if anyone wants it

Does anyone here use iodophore? That's what ive been using because the one step packets were annoying and it was cheaper than star san at my LHBS. Does anyone know if it can be stored like star san in a spray bottle or jugs?

"Danjor" post=249848 said:

Does anyone here use iodophore? That's what ive been using because the one step packets were annoying and it was cheaper than star san at my LHBS. Does anyone know if it can be stored like star san in a spray bottle or jugs?

I beleive you can use iodophor in a spray bottle, but storing it is debateable. many say it'll lose its power after 8 hrs diluted.

Star San lasts A LONG TIME

So consider that in your money saving eforts.

ps: i have never used iodophor, wife is alleric/sensitive to iodine

I just started using idophore but am a little put off by the odor. Even when diluted at 3/4tsp/gallon it definitely has a sour-smell. Made me want to rinse this supposedly no-rinse sanitizer.

Star-San may be the next step.

"Gymrat" post=249580 said:

I am still using one step. I have since the beginning. For me it is more of an "if it aint broke don't fix it" thing than anything else.

Same here... A 16oz bag does 32 gallons, only costs $4.50 at my LHBS.

What kind of spray bottles is everyone using? Is it the kind to hold chemicals or the cheap $1 ones?

"ba1980" post=249954 said:

What kind of spray bottles is everyone using? Is it the kind to hold chemicals or the cheap $1 ones?

any work. i took my wifes sprayer that had water in it for hair stuff.

"Rebel_B" post=249947 said:

"Gymrat" post=249580 said:

Same here... A 16oz bag does 32 gallons, only costs $4.50 at my LHBS.

I buy 5# buckets of "Easy Clean" which is LD Carlson's repackaged version of "One Step" for around 16 bucks at my LHBS. It pretty much keeps me happy for a year. I keep some starsan in spray bottles for spot sanitiation, but use the one-step on brewing days and bottling days.

I could buy a 50# bucket of it for a steep per pound discount, but I don't know where I'd keep it.

Anywhere that sells "brewers best" kits can get you Easy Clean, and it's the same thing as one-step but cheaper.

Guest System Admin

"Danjor" post=249848 said:

I use it on brew day. I also use star san as well. I fill one of my sinks with iodophore for sanitizing my hands and equipment and used equipment. I use star san in a spray bottle to keep surfaces sanitized and to sanitize my fermenter. I use star san exclusively on bottling day. I'll use oxy clean free to remove labels from my glass harvested bottles. Not sure if I'll use my one step, I guess when I run out of iodine I could use it in my sink. It is an effective sanitizer as long as you let it sit for 10 minutes, and from what I've been told/read it is an instant sanitizer after the 10 minute mark, although I don't know the duration of it's usefulness.

According to Mr. Beer, the usefulness is measured in just a few hours, no longer.

"mnstarzz13" post=249958 said:

"ba1980" post=249954 said:

I use a 1-quart size I found in the cleaning aisle at Walmart. Works very well, I can sanitize my bottles by squirting inside and swishing a few seconds.
I will NEVER go back to one-step, now that I see how convenient starsan is. And the price is reasonable, since I don't waste much.