Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Guest System Admin

Steeped IPA Input

Guest System Admin

Ok I'm getting ready to do this recipe. I'm wanting the input from the borg. Please advise. My only real question is 1/2 pack US-05 is enough for this batch? The crystal is 15 not 10, qbrew doesn't have C-15 in it's database.

Steeped IPA
-----------
Brewer: Steve Fournier
Style: American IPA
Batch: 2.50 galExtract

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.061 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 48 IBU
Recipe Color: 8° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.015
Alcohol by Volume: 5.9%
Alcohol by Weight: 4.6%

Ingredients
-----------
Briess LME - Golden Light 2 lb, Extract, Extract
Briess LME - Pilsen Light 2 lb, Extract, Extract
Crystal 15L - 0.25 lb, Grain, Steeped
Munich (US) 0.25 lb, Grain, Steeped

Cascade 0.50 oz, Pellet, 5 minutes
Cascade 0.50 oz, Pellet, 15 minutes
Cascade 0.50 oz, Pellet, 30 minutes
Cascade 0.50 oz, Pellet, 60 minutes

Safale S-05 Dry Ale Yeast 0.50 unit, Yeast, American: Temperature Range: 59°-75° F 11.5 GRAMS

Notes
-----
Recipe Notes:
Crystal 15 4 oz
Munich 4oz
2 lbs Pilsen LME Briess
2 lbs Golden Light LME Briess
2 oz Cascade pellet
1/2 pack US-05 yeast

Looks good. Only thing is the Munich is a base malt that has to be mashed. Maybe swap out for Caramunich.
Unless you have a use for the other half of the US05, I'd pich the whole thing. Half would work, but the whole pack may result in a little less stress on the yeast (and 11g doesn't really pose an overpitching risk.)

Guest System Admin

"gman585" post=250154 said:

Looks good. Only thing is the Munich is a base malt that has to be mashed. Maybe swap out for Caramunich.
Unless you have a use for the other half of the US05, I'd pich the whole thing. Half would work, but the whole pack may result in a little less stress on the yeast (and 11g doesn't really pose an overpitching risk.)

I'll have to check out that Caramunich next time. So let me pose this question then, What happens if you steep the Munich at around 150 degrees for 30 mins, isn't that still getting the sugars out of the grain, and what happens if I steep longer?

---Edit---

I got called out to work, so I started a little late.

Used the full pack of US-05

I thought if you try steeping grains that need to be mashed, you'll end up getting more starch in your beer than sugars. I read somewhere on here about a guy that actually did a small mash in his oven. I don't remember the name of the post, but it was something about Cara-Pils not being as efficient as everyone thought.

EDIT: This post

if you wanted to use the Munich, you could have a separate pot filled with enough water for the grain, and mash separately from the boil. Then when the Mash is about 30 mins into it, start your 30 mins steep, and pour in the liquid from the mash into the boil when the steep is done.

i figure that would do the trick. Or just use the Caramunich :)