Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Rob10

Adding abv

Hi everyone,

I have one question. I recently brewed the Cowboy Golden Lager, seems to be pretty good just needs some more conditioning time. Anyway, I was just wondering while making the wort mixture, is there anyway to add alcohol content...without ordering something from Mr. Beer?

Thanks!

The two ways to up the abv is add malt or add adjuct (sugar, honey, etc.) The CGL is already high in adjunct so i wouldn't add any more at all. Adding more malt will make the beer much better. Do you have a LHBS? If you do grab some dme or lme. If not, brew the recipe as is. Any more sugar just to boost abv will make some seriously cider beer. If you haven't already done so, read through the malt to adjunct ratio thread.
http://community.mrbeer.com/forum/8-new-brewers-and-faqs/65050-new-brewers-please-read-malt-to-adjunct-ratios
That will tell you everything you need to know!

It's the general consensus that you should be chasing flavor, not alcohol content. If you work with the basic ingredients to get the flavor you desire, the alcohol with naturally follow. Either that, or it will matter less.

"FedoraDave" post=250207 said:

It's the general consensus that you should be chasing flavor, not alcohol content. If you work with the basic ingredients to get the flavor you desire, the alcohol with naturally follow. Either that, or it will matter less.

Or you could just dump in a box of table sugar, or a pound or two of malted milk balls. :evil:

edit: Sorry about that. Just seen this question so much lately that I had a minor bout of barbarism. Where's the Genghis Khan smiley?

Guest System Admin

Brew a normal beer and drop a shot in it, boom higher ABV and nice count-down fun

Dave is right about increasing ABV instead of flavor is not the way to go. IMO, it's better to have a good beer at 4.5%, than a cidery 6% beer. If you want to know how to boost ABV, research some Belgian Trappist beers. Get a clone recipe kit, and you'll see all the ingredients they use. I just did one up that is going to be around 11% ABV. The problem is that it won't be drinkable for at least 4 months and will peak after 1 year.

Even for being a relative newb, I've seen this come up a lot. I can't blame newbies for wanting to up the ABV, the beginning recipes are pretty light. Perhaps the sticky about malt-adjunct ratio should have the title changed to "INCREASING ABV: NEWBIES READ THIS FIRST OR ELSE SUFFER OUR WRATH!!!" :)