Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Rob10

Hydrometer

The hydrometer works okay for estimating the ABV of your beer. You have to take two readings; the first after you complete the preparation and have it kegged. The second reading is done just before bottling. Follow the directions that come with your hydrometer, but basically you subtract the second numbers from the first to get your ABV.

Welcome Rob10. Yes a hydrometer measures specific gravity and can be used to measure ABV.
In order to properly measure you must take a reading when you brew, called the Initial Gravity, and then a measure afterward, final gravity.
Lots of calculators out there. 1.04 is a pretty good price, but by the time you pay shipping it might not be worth it. You can get them from a LHBS for about 10 bucks.
Elkhorn

It would work sure but it doesn't appear to be very extensively labeled. Is anything stopping you from picking one up for about 5 dollars at a store?
Or are there no stores near you?

I would get one at a store, but I living in the Northwest Territories Canada. So, I can't lol.. I was just wondering if that particular one would work or does the labeling on the side need to read 1.000, 1.001 (for example)

I would not recommend the one depicted on EBay for brewing beer. It seems to be a small hydrometer that is graduated for only higher alcohol content. You need one that is more specifically designed for brewing beer and wine. It will be much longer and have much finer graduations than the one on EBay. The one sold by Mr. Beer is a good one or you can check at your LHBS for one (and get one with the tube for holding the liquid that you want to measure).

I agree with time traveler...the one I bought on line from Mr Beer is easy to use and easy to read. Pretty reasonably proced too

I would buy it from Mr Beer, but they don't ship here. Otherwise, I would absolutely get one from there! That's kind of why I was looking for an alternative, I don't have a local brewing store to go to

Most any online brew supply store will sell them. I would think you could find any number of them that ship to the Great White North. I agree that the one you linked to does not look like a good option for beer.