Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dustin

1st AG batch

So I decided to make the jump to AG. I decided to keep it small and just do an LBK size AG batch.

3 lbs of US 2 row
1 lbs of Crystal 20

.5 oz US KG @ 60 min
.5 oz US KG @ 10 min
1 packet of SAFALE US-05

OG 1.054

Nothing fancy just simple and easy.

I mashed grain for 60 minutes at 153 in 4 quarts of water.

I fly sparged with 2 gallons of water at 170 degrees.

The wort looked and smelled great. I'm really excited about this batch and if it turns out good I will make myself a bigger mash tun and move to all AG 5 gallon batches.

WTG Dustin!! That first step is always the hardest and your on your way! As you see it takes half a day to do an AG batch versus 2 hours for a MB batch. But I think you'll find the results more satisfying as you can say this is YOUR beer!

I have found that if I do AG I make 5 gallons at a time since it takes so long. Just makes it seem more worthwhile. Anyway, congrats and let us know how it turns out!!

Congrats dustin....AG is a different beast with a whole new set of challenges and rewards. i'm sure it will be a nice Pale Ale for sure!

"Dustin" post=250439 said:

So I decided to make the jump to AG. I decided to keep it small and just do an LBK size AG batch.

3 lbs of US 2 row
1 lbs of Crystal 20

.5 oz US KG @ 60 min
.5 oz US KG @ 10 min
1 packet of SAFALE US-05

OG 1.054

Nothing fancy just simple and easy.

I mashed grain for 60 minutes at 153 in 4 quarts of water.

I fly sparged with 2 gallons of water at 170 degrees.

The wort looked and smelled great. I'm really excited about this batch and if it turns out good I will make myself a bigger mash tun and move to all AG 5 gallon batches.

Great!

The extra control you have over your brew is going to be appreciated when you drink it. All that is really required (other than the equipment) is the extra time you put into it. Just like an hobby, the more you put into it, the more you get out of it.
And, for just a bit more money, you can make 5 gallons (if you prefer) but starting small is the way to go.

Guest System Admin

Congrats and welcome to the AG club!

You were told that you have to send a bottle of your first AG batch must be sent to all Borg members with 3,000+ posts, right? RIGHT?!?! You get thirsty talking this much.

Check your PMs, my address is there.

Cheers.

Good for you on taking the big step! AG is a whole different thing from extract brewing, but I also think it's more satisfying, and gives you more control over the final product.

I think you were very smart to begin with a simple recipe like this, too. No need to go crazy and try a Belgian Abbey Dubbel on your first AG flight. This will be a satisfying session beer perfect for a warm summer night.

Can't wait to see the first pour pic!

Oh, and Kealia is incorrect that you have to send a bottle to all Borg members with 3,000+ posts. What he meant to say is that you have to send TWO bottles to all Borg member with 3,000+ posts who were also BOM. Just one of those fine-print issues, there.

hi dustin, spence here what kinds of equipment did you use to make the small ag for the lbk.

"FedoraDave" post=250676 said:

Good for you on taking the big step! AG is a whole different thing from extract brewing, but I also think it's more satisfying, and gives you more control over the final product.

I think you were very smart to begin with a simple recipe like this, too. No need to go crazy and try a Belgian Abbey Dubbel on your first AG flight. This will be a satisfying session beer perfect for a warm summer night.

Can't wait to see the first pour pic!

Oh, and Kealia is incorrect that you have to send a bottle to all Borg members with 3,000+ posts. What he meant to say is that you have to send TWO bottles to all Borg member with 3,000+ posts who were also BOM. Just one of those fine-print issues, there.

:borg: Normally Dave is spot on.. but with his work schedule, the change in the forum here, the fact that this is End of Prohibition day, well, the new score is just over 7.5K posts and a loveable personality. So, just send a 6 pack and I'll let you know what I think. ;) :chug: