hilkertj

New BOM - Kevin K. - Congrats

Guest System Admin

Congrats!

What is his Forum name?

"Trollby" post=250528 said:

Congrats!

What is his Forum name?

If its smoke diver I can think of about 30 people who are going to bust his chops for a while!!!!!!

Guest System Admin

Mr. Beer stated that they do not think he uses the forum, but a buyer of their products

Congratulations Kevin. I better go move my car. I will leave the carport there for you.

"Trollby" post=250596 said:

Mr. Beer stated that they do not think he uses the forum, but a buyer of their products

so i guess you can buy your way into the bom

NewMBbrewer wrote:

Every time they pick someone to be BOM that's not on this site, people complain, but there is no requirement that anyone use this site to be BOM. It is Mr. Beer's BOM, not the mrbeer.com's BOM. Though many BOMs who post here provide some great insight at times, I'd say that using their products is (and should be) the primary requirement. Conversely, I should never be BOM because I haven't used Mr. Beer ingredients in probably a year or so (though I still use their fermenters some). I remember when I started that OneKyds was a non-member who was picked (and subsequent uproar ensued), but then he joined the forum and we learned that he's brewed something like 400 bazillion (ok, i may be exaggerating, but it's a ton more than most anyone) brews and thus was a fine choice.

Congrats to Kevin K. I'm sure he's a fine representative for BOM.

Thanks Pat, that makes me feel real good, my beer keeps getting better, and I haven't slowed down much in brewing.

Every time they pick someone to be BOM, people complain, but there is no requirement that anyone use this site to be BOM. It is Mr. Beer's BOM, not the mrbeer.com's BOM. Though many BOMs who post here provide some great insight at times, I'd say that using their products is (and should be) the primary requirement. Conversely, I should never be BOM because I haven't used Mr. Beer ingredients in probably a year or so (though I still use their fermenters some). I remember when I started that OneKyds was a non-member who was picked (and subsequent uproar ensued), but then he joined the forum and we learned that he's brewed something like 400 bazillion (ok, i may be exaggerating, but it's a ton more than most anyone) brews and thus was a fine choice.

Congrats to Kevin K. I'm sure he's a fine representative for BOM.

UMMM....who was complaining? I agree with Patbattle that the primary requirement for BOM should be using their products, but I think being an active member of the Mr Beer community should also play into it. It was explained to the forum the last time a non forum member won that you don't have to be on the forum to be considered for BOM. They have relationships and chats with 1000's of Mr Beer customer's that for one reason or another do not ever participate on the forum. We get that! If someone is out there brewing 6 fermenters at a time for years (like our current BOM) then yes by all means they deserve recognition.

That said they also acknowledge the fact that there are BORG members that are responsible for carrying the Mr Beer banner and helping new brewers become obsessed brewers! If it were not for this forum Mr Beer would see a decrease in repeat customers and they are well aware of that. Otherwise they would go through the hassle of updating the forum software!

No one is complaining! It's just more fun and cool when we can log on and see one of our own getting recognized for the contributions they make!!!

BTW: Congrats to Kevin!!! Hopefully he'll check out the forum and pass on some of his brew know how!!!

If it were not for this forum Mr Beer would see a decrease in repeat customers and they are well aware of that.

There are around 8300 distinct login IDs on this site from now until the beginning of time. Of those, 3000 or so have never posted ever, half have never posted more than once, and something like 5300 have never posted over 9 times. There are, in my experience, generally at max 60ish users with defined login IDs on at the high traffic times. If they are depending on 60ish people as their only driver to create repeat business, then their business model is sorely lacking. In fact, they can't possibly depend on these 60 people to get their est. [$500,000 to $999,999] or [$1 million - $4.9 million] in annual sales (depending on which source you believe), unless you guys are buying more product than I think you are...

That being said, I enjoy the posts here and find some useful nuggets of information. And I wish more of those people who buy the product would use the forum.

:borg:
then let people know that purchase volume is the requirement for BOM. 'nuff said

"NewMBbrewer" post=250740 said:

"Trollby" post=250596 said:

Democracy at it's finest! Congrats on being selected, Cheers! :chug:

Guest System Admin

Congrats to Kevin!
BTW maybe we should also have a Forum Brewer of the Month?

Wow, you know too much about numbers.

How about humans.

I could give a shite about the millions that mr beer makes.

Guest System Admin

My one buddy uses Mr. Beer products all the time.

He hates computers and not a "Forum" type of guy.

If my wife had not bought the Mr, Beer kit for me I bet I would of bought one soon anyways after trying his beers and finding Mr. beer pretty tasty.

I guess my wording was not good, I should of said:

Mr. Beer stated he is a regular that is a Mr. beer fan but we do not believe he uses the forums

"PatBattle" post=250861 said:

If it were not for this forum Mr Beer would see a decrease in repeat customers and they are well aware of that.

There are around 8300 distinct login IDs on this site from now until the beginning of time. Of those, 3000 or so have never posted ever, half have never posted more than once, and something like 5300 have never posted over 9 times. There are, in my experience, generally at max 60ish users with defined login IDs on at the high traffic times. If they are depending on 60ish people as their only driver to create repeat business, then their business model is sorely lacking. In fact, they can't possibly depend on these 60 people to get their est. [$500,000 to $999,999] or [$1 million - $4.9 million] in annual sales (depending on which source you believe), unless you guys are buying more product than I think you are...

That being said, I enjoy the posts here and find some useful nuggets of information. And I wish more of those people who buy the product would use the forum.

Me thinks someone needs a hug!! SHEESH!!!! :ohmy:

This really seems bogus to me. How can you have a BOM on a forum of which said BOM isn't an active member?

"PatBattle" post=250861 said:

Okay you want to crunch numbers and see how they are happy with the business the BORG generates, fine. We're going to use your numbers.

A little over 8,000 people have signed on since the begining of time, right? Which is what? About 4 years? I feel it's fair to say that out of those most purchased a Mr Beer kit of one kind or another at a median price of lets say $30 (some spent more some spent less and some none at all). So that would give us $240,000 just on kits over 4 years.

Statistics have shown that on average most home brewers stick with it for at least 1 and 1/2 years. During that time I think it would be fair to say that an average brewer spends around $75 a month on supplies and gadgets for brewing. So in an 18 month time frame we're looking at $1,350 per brewer. Take that times the 8,000 BORG members and you get $10,808,000. Add in the initial startup kits and you get $11,048,000 divided by the 4 years of the BORG and it's $2,762,000 per year gross just from the BORG!!!!

No their not counting on the 60 odd members that are on-line at any given time!! Their counting on the hundreds of people per month that drop by the forum while making an online purchase. Those people read some of the posts which helps them make better beer, which encourages them to stick with it, which means more product purchased, which means more REPEAT business.

BTW, I still haven't really heard of anyone dissing Kevin as BOM! Yes several have stated that it seems kinda petty for Mr. Beer to select a BOM just based on volume of purchases, but they haven't slighted Kevin. This forum is full of kind and decent people that wouldn't want to hurt someones feelings by saying he's not deserving. Because there are so many good people here is the reason I like this forum. Negative people don't last here they realize they don't have a place on this forum.

Okay for anyone that is actually still reading this post, thank-you! I'm off my soapbox and promise not to respond to any more posts on this thread!! :)

Congrats to Kevin, who I trust will never probably see this. We may not share forum participation, but we do share the Mr Beer experience. That's much better than nothing.

I will be honest and admit that I also was mildly offended to find out MR Beer chose someone that was not on the forum, even though I've only been around a short time myself.

As soon as I saw the announcement, I immediately started trying to find Kevin to congratulate him. I was confused when I couldn't. Then I read that he wasn't on the forum, which explained that. And oddly, it made me sad.

Nothing personal whatsoever. It's just that I had come to a place in my head where the forum and the BOM are grouped together under the Mr Beer Community umbrella is all. After all, the BOM is posted inside the Community area, not on the index page or any other area. I had just came to define in my head that being a MrB customer was not exactly the same thing as being in the MrB community. That doesn't mean I was right. Obviously.

So the news shook up my little mindset. It confused my view of what was supposed to happen. But like everyone else here, as has been stated, I'm a reasonable and decent person (well, most of the time). (Okay, maybe half the time). (Okay, once in awhile).

In the end, it's all good. And if by chance, Kevin should decide to join the forum, or even to simply drop in and read without joining, I would hate to have him feel under attack in any way. I think we all feel the same. We might have been confused or caught off guard by the principle involved, and nothing more.

They do post it on their Facebook page as well. According to Kevin's comment on the FB post, he has joined the forum! Welcome Kevin!!

:chug:

Congratulations Kevin! Brew on beer brother! :cheers: :chug: :party: :banana: B)

Personally, I have no problem with non-forum members being BOM. Usually they end up signing up and joining the Borg. It should be about the beer ... not the forum.

I do think we need a female every once and awhile. No offense, but most of the BOM members are ugly dudes.

I mean ... hell ... look at the troll they picked in October of 2009:

bom_eshepp-lg.jpg

Congrats to Kevin. I hope you do come by and make a comment.

"NewMBbrewer" post=250960 said:

i just lost my lunch

I'm sure it didn't go far. Just retrace your steps from the last time you remember seeing it and I'm sure you'll find it in no time! Good Luck!!! :)

That's a great reminder, the Facebook thing, that the MrB community is bigger than just us here on this forum. I agree that it would be great to have Kevin here as well as on Facebook. He has plenty of brewing experience and plenty to contribute, I'm sure. In fact, I ought to be checking out that Facebook deal, myself. I only go there once or twice a year to see if anyone wants to be my friend. Luckily nobody has in the past few years. But if there's more Mr Beer folks out there to meet, what the heck, I'll go take a look. NewMBbrewer, while I'm there, I'll keep an eye out for your lost lunch.

"jeremy0209" post=250914 said:

This really seems bogus to me. How can you have a BOM on a forum of which said BOM isn't an active member?

Maybe because it's not a BOM on the forum. Apparently he's on the Mr Beer Facebook community. I've never done anything there. Should the people who participate via Facebook and not the forums have gotten upset when I got BOM?

I also don't believe one would or should have to be a forum member to be the BOM, I'm sure Kevin is well deserved of the title. That said, I know it's a fun thing on here for a member to be the bom and it gives us someting to post about. As Scott stated maybe for fun we could have one just for the forum, maybe not called BOM but like some bussiness do, employee of the month could be spokeperson of the month. We do have the polling feature now. Just food for thought.

bpgreen wrote:

"Should the people who participate via Facebook and not the forums have gotten upset when I got BOM?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My goodness. They'll hand out that BOM to just about anyone nowadays, won't they?

"Joechianti" post=251069 said:

bpgreen wrote:

"Should the people who participate via Facebook and not the forums have gotten upset when I got BOM?"

My goodness. They'll hand out that BOM to just about anyone nowadays, won't they?

Good point. Maybe they should be upset that I was ever BOM, without regard to my Facebook participation, but just because they choose somebody like me.

Guest System Admin

Congrats Kevin, and carry the MB torch well for this month as you are like us..........
A homebrewer. :barman:
:cheers:

Well they DID separate the BOM from the forum. Notice no smiling mug on the left anymore? So if they are going to start picking non-forum users as BOMs separating the BOM from the forum makes sense.

i am here lol and thank you all for the congrats look forward to learning as much and helping anyone else who needs ideas and what not look forward to being active on the forum

"kevo129" post=251519 said:

i am here lol and thank you all for the congrats look forward to learning as much and helping anyone else who needs ideas and what not look forward to being active on the forum

Very cool!

Welcome!

:)

"kevo129" post=251519 said:

Well, there ya go! The new BOM is a forum member. Congrats again and welcome to the community! :chug: I'm looking forward to seeing more of you around the forum!

Yes, congratulations, Kevin! Your great job at a write-up shows that you are not a newbie, but have really gotten into MrB brewing. :charlie:

"bpgreen" post=251077 said:

"Joechianti" post=251069 said:

bpgreen wrote:

Good point. Maybe they should be upset that I was ever BOM, without regard to my Facebook participation, but just because they choose somebody like me.

So let me get this straight: You're seriously trying to convince us that there is a world outside of the Mr. Beer forums?

Come on! Let's be real.

:charlie:

Chuck, that's funny. But this truly has been a wonderful learning experience. Funny how we get tunnel vision sometimes and don't see past our own backyard. Well, we not only learned a little something, but we got a new friend, too. I'll drink to that! :gulp: