Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
jbrons

Smoked Vanilla Porter

Hey all,

I recently had Abita's 25th anniversary double dog vanilla smoked porter. It was one of the best beers I've had in a long time, and I was looking to try to create something with a similar flavor profile. Anyone have any thoughts or recipe suggestions? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Okay, so I've done a bit of research, and here's what I'm thinking.... anyone have any input or advice?

2 cans of the MrB Black Tower Porter HME
1 can of the MrB Creamy Brown UME
0.5 ounce Glacier Hops (20 minute boil)
0.5 ounce Northern Brewer Hops (20 minute boil)

(I put this into QBrew, and it says it would be 6.6% with a 19 IBU)

During secondary fermentation, adding 2 vanilla beans that have been split, scraped, and soaked in a few ounces of vodka for a couple days (to sanitize).

Bottle, Carb for a week, and allow 3-4 weeks to condition.

Any thoughts on getting a bit of a smoke to it? I was thinking a few drops of liquid smoke in each bottle for conditioning, but I'm not sure how a vinegar based product would work.

OK, couple questions. Did you input the HMEs in the hops tab? 19 seems low. Personally I think 1 bean is enough, but your mileage may vary. You can always taste every day or so and just bottle when it's ready so no harm no foul. Also, liquid smoke is fine. I've heard there are brands that add vinegar and such but to my knowledge most are just condensed, filtered smoke with no added ingredients. Check the labels. I'm pretty sure the iconic brand (to me anyway), the label I think of when I hear "liquid smoke" has no additional ingredients.

EDIT: Swing and a miss. I was way wrong. The "iconic" one I'm thinking of is the Colgin, which does include vinegar. There are most certainly kinds of liquid smoke that don't have vinegar but I guess maybe not "most". I would not use the Colgin stuff in my beer.

Also, you might be able to steep rauchmalt or peat smoked malt? Someone will probably have to confirm/deny that.

Update:

Okay so I started the batch a few days ago. I ended up using:

2 cans of the MrB Black Tower Porter HME
1 can of the MrB Creamy Brown UME
0.5 ounce Glacier Hops
0.5 ounce Northern Brewer Hops
1/2 cup honey

I boiled the two hops in the two cans of the porter HME for 20 minutes before adding the creamy brown UME and the honey. It is fermenting now, and after two weeks I am going to add 2 vanilla beans that have been split open and are sanitizing in 4 ounces of bourbon. Daily tasting will be done to insure I hit the right amount of vanilla flavor, and then it will be bottled. Any thoughts on how long to let it condition? I was thinking 6-8 weeks.

Hi jbrons,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news (and I hope I am dead wrong), but the boiling of HME's changes the hop characteristics of the product. I think that UME's and LME's (which as far as I can tell are a similar product) or DME's can be boiled. If fact should be boiled for hopping, but not HME's.

OK, that bridge is crossed, so maybe it does not matter much and you are fine. I would still stick with it. Your malt to adjunct ratio is pretty good so conditioning may not be as long as with other products, but porters do take longer.
Personally I would put one in the fridge at four weeks and taste it at six and then put another one in if it is not to your liking. Then repeat every two weeks.

I am a noob here myself and the regulars can give you better advice.

I wish you the best.
Happy brewing and welcome.

+1. In the future use your UME for hops boils and not the HME. Let's see...as for this batch, I'd expect you have a fair amount more bitterness. No late hops presence although that is not surprising in a porter. I hope it comes out well for you. :cheers:

Edit: Shouldn't say no late hops presence. As far as I know, boiling hops for 20 minutes in the HME should still give you a regular 20 minute addition..

Thank you guys for the input. I boiled the hops in the HME because I was hoping to infuse some of that hop flavor into the porter, but in the future I will be sure to do this in the UME. Next week it should be in stage 2 of fermentation, so I'll give it a little taste and see if it's anywhere near the profile I was hoping for. Thanks again!

Thank you all for your help! I ended up letting it ferment for 18 days before tasting it the first time. It was quite hoppy, which is to be expected with the boil. I added two scraped out vanilla beans (madagascar-bourbon) and soaked them in four shots of Maker's Mark for 4 days and added them to the batch. Tasting every morning, after 3 days it was the perfect balance I was looking for. It has a smokey flavor, a sweet vanilla aftertaste, and a subtle hop flavor. We will see how it comes out after carbonation/conditioning, but I have high hopes for this one!

"jbrons" post=259112 said:

Thank you all for your help! I ended up letting it ferment for 18 days before tasting it the first time. It was quite hoppy, which is to be expected with the boil. I added two scraped out vanilla beans (madagascar-bourbon) and soaked them in four shots of Maker's Mark for 4 days and added them to the batch. Tasting every morning, after 3 days it was the perfect balance I was looking for. It has a smokey flavor, a sweet vanilla aftertaste, and a subtle hop flavor. We will see how it comes out after carbonation/conditioning, but I have high hopes for this one!

Awesome, sounds great, thanks for sharing the recipe.

"jbrons" post=259112 said:

I added two scraped out vanilla beans (madagascar-bourbon) and soaked them in four shots of Maker's Mark for 4 days and added them to the batch. Tasting every morning, after 3 days it was the perfect balance I was looking for.

So drinking a shot of the vanilla flavored bourbon every morning for three days, you put the vanilla beans in the LBK with the last shot? :gulp:

Seriously though, this sounds awesome, keep us posted!

Thanks again for all your help guys. I opened the first bottle last night after 5 weeks of bottle conditioning in the fridge and oh man was I happy. It starts with a subtle vanilla flavor when it immediately hits the tongue, then quickly fades into a nice dark porter. Upon swallowing, there is a nice bourbon aftertaste. It has a dark head on it and with a 7.1% abv, I'm sure it will continue to please. I would strongly recommend this recipe to anyone who likes dark beers. I'm tentatively calling it 'Vanilla Thunder'

[attachment=8228]205235_10101053639265323_398949938_n.jpg[/attachment]

@jaydubwill: no, I put all four shots in with the vanilla beans and would taste a little off the tap of the fermenter keg each morning to check to see that the vanilla level was right.