Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
thuntress

Maple syrup

I tapped maple syrup this year. I love the taste of it, and was wondering if I could use it to make some beer. I've considered using a recipe that calls for honey and substituting it. I know that real maple syrup has to be refrigerated. Any advice?

You can treat maple syrup as any other adjunct, such as honey, or brown sugar, etc. It's almost 100% fermentable, so it will not add any sweetness to your beer, and may turn it cidery if you use too much.

I suggest you read the Malt to adjunct ratios thread. In a nutshell - make sure no more than 1/3 of your fermentables comes from adjuncts.

I haven't personally used maple syrup in my beers (this stuff is expensive!), but since you are making your own, you can certainly experiment. One thing you could do is to invert and caramelize the maple syrup by boiling it with a bit of lemon juice until it turns dark (not burned!). This would be pretty neat. By doing this, you will actually create some unfermentable sugars and caramel flavors on top of the maple flavor. I can see this being really good in a belgian in place of Candi syrup.

Keep us posted!

FYI, the little bit that doesn't ferment out leaves your beer with an almost "woody" kind of flavor if there isn't enough residual malt sweetness left to counter it. It's better in a dubbel or sweet stout or similar malty beer because of this then a light dry beer IMHO.

I like Russki's idea of trying to invert it, that could also counter the "woodyness" in a drier beer.

I live in Maple syrup country and I love the stuff (real thing only). I've used it in a few brews and this is what I've found: It won't be much if any different then any other adjunct. You may get a hint of taste if you are looking for it, but you most likely wont taste any differnce of other adjuncts. Maybe a late addition of a small amount would give some maple flavor.

"Gods Country Brewer" post=251803 said:

Replace all water with the Maple Sap to get best results. Just boil it for like 10 minutes to kill off any unwanted organisms and cool down in the fridge.

Whoa! What? All water? That sounds like a maple cider not beer.

I have used maple syrup (commercial not sap) and it did add a woodsy note to my stout. I found it delicious and want to do this again! I used 6oz in a 2.4gal batch.

I just had Dogfish Head's new 75 minute IPA last night. The bottle says its bottle conditioned with maple syrup. Mighty tastey brew.

I just finished a Maple Wheat Porter I brewed up. Maple syrup beers are rather popular up in NH. There is a local brewery that adds it to a wheat beer they have and it tastes amazing. If you plan on using it again, I would consider spending the extra money for REAL Maple syrup. It tastes so much better IMHO.

Anyways, the brew was only my third brew I made and I had got with the local beer store and put together a recipe using a can of MR. B WWW. According to the Malt to Adjunct ratio this brew was completely blown out of the water heavy on fermentable sugars (based on my understanding of fermentables). It involved steeping grains and a whole bunch of Maple Syrup. I was so worried about this brew. At first taste it was awful, until I cold crashed the keg, and forgot I had left it in the fridge for a week. Second taste, before bottling, was perfect! Its all bottled now, and going to condition for a very long time before tasting, but I do believe its going to turn out alright.

Anyways, Maple Syrup leaves that smoky maple flavor and no sweetness as the sugars ferment completely, and fast I may add. You have nothing to lose by using it if you are looking for that outdoorsy maple flavor for your brew.