Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Docniel

Expired HME

Greetings unto the :borg:

SO I picked up two cans of WCPA from I guy I got two LBK's from and they are expired, one is expired since Jun 2011 and the other is July 2011. Should I use them, both cans are in good shape no dents and no rust, should they be used in beer or as target practice?? :evil: :evil:

I would absolutely use them. If anything, check the yeast date. That might be a good thing to replace. But the cans of malt, I would definitely use. I would just bump them to the front of the line before any other ones I had on hand.

Guest System Admin

The flavor might be a little light, I would add hops

SmokeDiver3zero,
Wow that makes me feel a lot better.
@Joe, If I use the Fromunda for this, I'd use about three packets, but I will definitely look at the yeast dates.

I just opened a can of HCCD with Feb 2008 expiration date, can had a slight bulge to the end of it. When I opened it, got a pffft and definitely a bad odor to it and it actually started erupting on my counter. Now I was prepared with a backup can of HCCD with 2013 expiry date so I tossed the old can into trash and proceeded on my merry way with the good can. My suggestion would be to have a backup can or plan with your brew recipe so you don't waste any time or extra monies if you do have to trash the expired can. Good luck and hope the recipe turns out well. I have yet to be disappointed in any of my Mr Beer recipes done so far. :cheers:

Those aren't that far out of date. go for it. If your yeast is out of date..(you can proof them) then you could use some S33 as a substitute for the fromunder. split a single pack.

"T8r Salad" post=251744 said:

I just opened a can of HCCD with Feb 2008 expiration date, can had a slight bulge to the end of it. When I opened it, got a pffft and definitely a bad odor to it and it actually started erupting on my counter. Now I was prepared with a backup can of HCCD with 2013 expiry date so I tossed the old can into trash and proceeded on my merry way with the good can. My suggestion would be to have a backup can or plan with your brew recipe so you don't waste any time or extra monies if you do have to trash the expired can. Good luck and hope the recipe turns out well. I have yet to be disappointed in any of my Mr Beer recipes done so far. :cheers:

If a can is bulging or dented on a seam, throw it out. That's different from just being past the best by date.

+1 with what BPGreen said. If the can is dented, bulging, or what we call springing ( you push in one side and it bulges out the other) I wouldn't even open it. Call me an OCD Public Health Official.
Once i figure out what brew to put it in, I'll let you guys know what I did with them and how it turns out.

I used cascade with my WCPA and I really enjoyed the aroma, fresh citrus is the best way I can explain it, but not overly citrusy. The only thing I wish I had done different was to boil longer. I did a 10 minute hop boil, which gave me lots of flavor and aroma but absolutely no bitterness. It's surprisingly odd to drink a beer with nice hop aroma and flavor but no bitterness. I was hoping the bitterness would come through in the WCPA HME, but it didn't. If I do it again I would follow this schedule:

0.25oz@40
0.25oz@20
0.25oz@10
0.25oz@Dry Hop

This should get you about 45IBU's compared to the original recipe 22.

So just to let everyone know, here's what I made:
Pumpkin Lager
2- Cans West Coast Pale Ale
1- Can Mellow Amber
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
2 1/2 Teaspoon of Pumpkin Pie Spice
20 oz. of Pureed Pumpkin
1- Packet of S-23
It's very happily bubbling away at about 54F and smells FABULOUS!!!!
Can't wait till bottling day

Guest System Admin

Thanks for the info on expired hme's. I'll use my can of WCPA dated Jan 2010, unless it smells bad. I'll add a few more hops to the mix to be safe.

The outcome will have a lot to do with how they were stored. If they were exposed to prolonged heat, it will be fare from a pale ale.

Okay so I chased Flavor and I definitely got it. I also got a beer that tastes like pumpkin, smells like spice and can knock you on your but! I cracked open my tester bottle Saturday, still needs a little more time I think but manit surprised me.

I don't see if anyone mentioned it...but even if it's good, I would be prepared for it to be darker than what the thing suggests. I tried a HCCD that was about 1 or 2 years past due. Flavor wasn't bad...but the color was closer to a 7 or 8 than what they had indicated for a good can. Same thing on the Witty Wonk. I used the Witty Monk that was way past due. Entered it into a competition, but I had to use it in the Special Category with the Witbier as my base. The 2 major knocks I got on both scorecards was 1) failure to have spice or corriander and 2) color. Still got a 30...so I was happy.

I might be a bit darker I don't remember what I would rate it as without a handy dandy color matcher. Though the Witty Monk I made (not Expired), looks like a Blue Moon and tastes like it too! Got to get my hands on some more of that Thanks Chris.