Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
zucho

Russian Imperial Stout

Just brewed mr. beers russian imperial stout which I can't wait to try, and I have a honey maibock, conditioning, which smelled amazing while I was bottling. I love my new hobby I am hooked

Russian Imperial Stout is one of my favorite types of beer. I've decided, though, that the various stouts (at least the commercial versions) are all too much alike in their over-reliance on the dark chocolate/coffee notes and in the future I'm going to try to redefine stouts.

Best of luck on the Russian Imperial Stout!

One my favorites as well. I have a batch that was bottled on 28 March. All my hydrometer samples tasted great and I plan to cheat and sample bottles quite soon.

Did you tweak the Mr Beer recipe or follow it straight up?

I did some tweaking by adding more malt and using a different yeast. I also re-hydrated and proofed the yeast before pitching it. I've attached the pdf of my QBrew file for the batch if you'd like to compare notes. I was initially concerned that the recipe still did not meet the BJCP guidelines for a Russian Imperial Stout. But I decided to quit worrying, brew it, tweak it as desired to taste and brew it again, and repeat as needed.

One of my new goals in life (since my wife got me started with Mr Beer last Christmas) is to perfect a few favorite recipes and keep the pipeline full forevermore. Imperial Stouts and Scotch Ales will definitely be in that group of favorites.

I just brewed the Mr. Beer recipe straight up as this was just me 3rd batch, but I am starting to get more confident about tweaking the recipes as I read more about brewing.

I really like the Muntons version. The 'gold' box kit 2 cans 3.3 pnds, each makes a LBK batch. I made it as is. I used the Muntons Gold yeast.

My notes indicated it was not real thick or heavy and not a strong choc taste. The first bottle at 4 weeks was good but after 8 weeks it was great.
I noted at 8 weeks it was a soft malt with choc taste but not over powerful, more malty.

I have one can for a second batch. I might add 'something' to the mix. I would like to thicken it some. Suppose I have to steep something. Or add some dark DME/LME

For some reason I have not made the MRB version. Will place it on the list.