Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
manosteel9423

Wicked Monk Suggestions

Looking to brew the Wicked Monk recipe tonight from Mr Beer and was looking for some tips or suggestions. Here is the recipe for those not familiar:

Wicked Monk
MAKES APPROX. 2 GALLONS OF BEER IN ABOUT 3 WEEKS.
OG: 1.069 (approx.) -- FG: 1.017 (approx.)
Suggested lager time is 3 to 4 months.

RECIPE INCLUDES:
2 Cans Witty Monk Witbier HME
1 Can Pale Export UME
2 Packets Dry Brewing Yeast (under lid of HME)
6g(1/2 package) Safbrew WB-06 Dry Ale Yeast
1 Packet Saaz Pellet Hops
1 Muslin Hop Sack
1 Packet No-Rinse Cleanser

If anyone has made this recipe and made any successful modifications, I'm open to suggestions. I think it looks like a fine recipe as is, but would be willing to make some changes if they sounded good.

Thanks,
Mano

I've never made the Wicked Monk, but for what it's worth, here's a really good recipe with Witty Monk HMEs I made - I called it "Cowboy Monk":
2 cans Witty Monk + 1 Can Cowboy Lager + 1 cup honey + 3 packs of fromunda. Very tasty.

I've only made the WItty Monk (not WICKED) once, but I brewed that one with just the 2 cans and swapped the yeast to WLP400 (witbier). It was good at first, but after 3 months in the bottles it was great.

You may have a similar experience in terms of timing given the extra malt.
Just know that mine certainly got MUCH better with aging.

I substituted 1 lb of wheat DME for the pale export and used a wheat yeast, and it turned out great. I think I may have done a 5 minute hop boil, but don't remember and my brew log is at home.

I do have a can of Golden Wheat UME available, so I could make that change. Interesting dilemma...keep the suggestions coming! ;)

Manosteel,
I just brewed the same recipe last night I used the Golden Wheat UME and threw in a Booster ( I know, but hey I picked up a lot of it unknowingly and will use it till it's all gone)and substituted the Fromunda with Liquid yeast. Watch out though you might want to put your LBK on a cookie sheet, because mine leaked a bit last night ( not blow out, just a leak)
Hope this helps.

Thanks Doc...I brewed it the other night but kept it straight up with the recipe. I have a feeling I'll really enjoy this recipe. I used the WB-06 dry yeast. Keep it in mind in a couple of months, we should compare notes on this once we start drinking it.

I can't wait either, the taste test was really nice. So I'll be looking forward to sharing this.

Well, this one is two weeks in the bottle, so time for a sample! I know it says 3-4 months conditioning time, but I always try one at the 2 week mark just to get a feel for how it tastes after full carb.

I put one in the fridge last night, so I'll probably crack it open this evening...I'll post a picture later tonight if I do!

"manosteel9423" post=258905 said:

Well, this one is two weeks in the bottle, so time for a sample! I know it says 3-4 months conditioning time, but I always try one at the 2 week mark just to get a feel for how it tastes after full carb.

I put one in the fridge last night, so I'll probably crack it open this evening...I'll post a picture later tonight if I do!

Please do, I just brewed this last night except I used harvested Coopers yeast, going for a bit of banana esters.

I brewed a similar recipe last week using the wb-06 yeast as well. I didnt have any cans of ume but used 2 cans of witty monk, and a pack of blonde belgian candi syrup(16 oz).

[attachment=7933]WickedMonk.jpg[/attachment]

Here it is!

Pretty good actually!

Slight banana aroma with that haziness you expect from a good wheat beer. Nice mouth feel, but it does taste a bit green. Not cidery like you would get with an adjunct heavy beer, but more "malty" like I've had with other heavy gravity beers that I didn't let age long enough.

I'll leave the rest for another month or so and try again, but overall I'm pretty happy with it.

Very nice!
I just bottled mine last friday.
Thanks for sharing
:cheers:

This is one that is in the LBK right now.

Wheeping Angels WitBier
------------------------
Brewer:
Style: Witbier
Batch: 2.13 galExtract

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.061 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 15 IBU
Recipe Color: 10° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.015
Alcohol by Volume: 5.9%
Alcohol by Weight: 4.7%

Ingredients
-----------
MrB. Golden Wheat UME 1.21 lb, Extract, Extract
MrB. Witty Monk Witbier 1.21 lb, Extract, Extract
MrB. Witty Monk Witbier 1.21 lb, Extract, Extract

MrB. Witty Monk Witbier 1.00 oz, Pellet, 5 minutes
MrB. Witty Monk Witbier 1.00 oz, Pellet, 5 minutes

Belgian Witbier yeast, White Labs WLP4001.00 unit, Yeast,
Corriander Seed 0.25 unit, Spice,
Orange Peel, Sweet 0.50 unit, Spice,

Notes
-----
Recipe Notes:
Add the three LME to 4 cups of boiled water.
Add Orange peel and corianderin muslin bag.
After cooling, add to 1 gal. cold water in LBK
Fill LBK to Q with more water.
Take OG
Add yeast and wait 5 min.
Stir vigorously and cap.

Sorry for the new guy to bump an older post, but I was wondering if you tried another bottle of the wicked monk. I am fermenting the same thing now, but I am worried about the wb-06. Everything I have been reading says it makes a beer best with little conditioning. I would rather condition for the 3-4 months like it is called for in the recipe, but if I have to drink early, well a guys gotta do what a guys gotta do.

"Offset Bender" post=264681 said:

Sorry for the new guy to bump an older post, but I was wondering if you tried another bottle of the wicked monk. I am fermenting the same thing now, but I am worried about the wb-06. Everything I have been reading says it makes a beer best with little conditioning. I would rather condition for the 3-4 months like it is called for in the recipe, but if I have to drink early, well a guys gotta do what a guys gotta do.

Welcome to the BORG!!! Try one bottle every week until it's where you think it's best then go with the rest. It's easier to do if your using 12 oz bottles or 1/2 liter PET vs. 1 liter PET, but it'll give you a base in case you brew this again. Make sure you take tasting notes everytime! Good Luck!! :)

Thanks K9. I have been reading up on techniques and ideas here for awhile and really appreciate everyones knowledge. This is my third batch now but only have tried the WCPA that came with the kit. For my second batch I bottled in 12oz and one liters. Tried my hand at batch priming on the painted dawn and figured I needed to check for carbonation with the pet bottle to be sure. Going to crack open the trub bottle tonight(12oz) and check that brew out.

Here one I just tried that was simple and it turned out wonderful...
(WITTY MONK), Witbier ale 2X HME, booster pack, 1 cup of honey, Mt hood hops boiled 7/8 minutes and 2 tbspn of ground coriander.
6.9% garv 1.072 w1.018 239 cal 24.8 carbs per 12 oz, ibu of about 24-26

This past weekend I tried 1 of the Witty Monk I made for my wife. I just used 2 cans and nothing else. She loves it. Again with the orange added but while I was surprised it was good after only 17 days in the bottle, it's not something I crave.
But, to think it was as simple as 2 cans and 20 minutes of my time and she liked it is a very good thing.
Next time, I'll get creative from the info listed in this thread.

I actually did have another one of these last night. I haven't seen a big change in it from the first try a couple of weeks ago. It still has some banana esters to it and is a nice, smooth beer.

I'm probably going to drink this one like k9 suggest...every couple of weeks try another one.

I brewed this exact recipie back in February. Used the wb-06 and it turned out awesome! It does take a while to condition, but is well worth the wait. At 3 months it starting to reach its prime. I'm looking forward to enjoying a few bottles this weekend for sure!

Guest System Admin

I did this receipe and bottled on the 5th of May. The only thing I did different was add 1lb of wheat LME and use WB-06. Looking forward to seeing how all these beers pan out over the next month or two . Oh and did do a saaz hop boil as well.

SO tonight I'll be putting into the fridge one of my sample six packs which has my version of this. I'll let update at the end of the week.

Definitely a good brew. Worth the 4 month wait. I want to do it again as soon as it is available

I've been drinking this for the last week and it is awesome. Slice of lemon or orange enhances this brew.

So glad to hear that guys, thanks. I guess I have another 3 1/2 months to find out how I did. Man that smelled so good on bottling day, I just may have to crack open a sample.

"pyromr" post=271794 said:

Definitely a good brew. Worth the 4 month wait. I want to do it again as soon as it is available

They are still available on Amazon

Forgot to update:

Okay so my version the Wicked Wheat is wicked good, and gets better every week. Next time I make this I will make sure to have the right DME.

"russki" post=252011 said:

I've never made the Wicked Monk, but for what it's worth, here's a really good recipe with Witty Monk HMEs I made - I called it "Cowboy Monk":
2 cans Witty Monk + 1 Can Cowboy Lager + 1 cup honey + 3 packs of fromunda. Very tasty.

Hmm...I could do that. Still looking for what to brew next and this looks like a contender.