Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
GarretSTL

Mango Ale

Hey Guys,

I'm a new brewer and I am going to be trying my most unique idea that I have planned for a while. I am trying to make a crisp, summer Mango Ale. I have a couple of questions, but first here are the ingredients I plan to use:

-1 can of Blonde Ale
-1 can of Pale Export
-16-20 oz pureed mango in syrup (canned)
-1 Saf-ale S04 ale yeast
-1 package booster?

My first question is whether or not I should use the booster. I didn't know if it would enhance the body and ABV or if it would deter from the flavor.

My second question is (and I know there is much debate) whether I should add the mango puree immediately into the wort or halfway through the fermentation process. I am planning to use between 16-20 oz of the canned mango in syrup, which I will puree in a blender prior to adding.

My last question is if there would be anything else that would enhance the beer that I am not thinking of? I don't want to start adding too much before I find a recipe I like, but if there is something that jumps out at you that would really help the brew, please let me know!

Thanks in advance for all of your advice!

Damn..... recipe sounds daleeeeecious! I want to try a brew with mago soon but I will have a wheat base. Read on here that wheat malt is good for fruit beer. Good luck with your brew!!

I'd switch the yeast out to Safale 05 and ferment around 60-62 if you are looking for a crisp beer.

I'd add the fruit after about a week of fermenting. Make sure you don't aerate the wort when you pour it in. Also make sure you sanitize your blender.

You could try dry-hopping with some Citra hops to enhance the mango-ness. Many describe Citra as having a strong mango flavor/aroma

"TheConserver" post=252056 said:

I'd switch the yeast out to Safale 05 and ferment around 60-62 if you are looking for a crisp beer.

I'd add the fruit after about a week of fermenting. Make sure you don't aerate the wort when you pour it in. Also make sure you sanitize your blender.

You could try dry-hopping with some Citra hops to enhance the mango-ness. Many describe Citra as having a strong mango flavor/aroma

What do you mean by "don't aerate the wort?" I thought I read that the appropriate process is to open the cap on the LBK really quickly, throw the puree in, stir it really fast, and close it back up?

I'd agree with using S-05, it ferments very clean. May also consider using Wheat UME instead of Pale Export, but I think it looks pretty good regardless - keep us posted!

Just curious, about the mango in "syrup"...

I thought that the syrup could lend too much in the way of fermentable sugars, leading to off flavors or longer fermenting times...

Can anyone weigh in on that?

Well if it is anything like the Chocolate Covered Cherries (1 OVL, 1 Creamy Brown, 1 can of cherries in syrup). They recommend like 5 or 6 months conditioning time. Mine have been in the bottle nearly 4 weeks but I haven't tried it yet.

The way I understand it, you want to open the LBK, and pour the addition in deliberately and avoid splashing whatsoever. I also think stirring is not necessary. Basically, adding the fruit as quick as possible without disturbing the beer too much.

"Abqu" post=252121 said:

The way I understand it, you want to open the LBK, and pour the addition in deliberately and avoid splashing whatsoever. I also think stirring is not necessary. Basically, adding the fruit as quick as possible without disturbing the beer too much.

Exactly