Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Brian12069

Add coffee beans to LBK?

I brewed up some stickey wicket oatmeal stout. I added 2 oz of carmel vanilla coffee beans to the LBK. Anyone ever try adding coffee beans in the fermenter? If you did how did it come out? I can say this...it SMELLED AWSOME! Thanks in advance for any replies.

I've been sorely tempted to try something like this. It would combine two of my favorite things, you can't go wrong. Depending on how long you leave the beans in, it looks like you may pick up some pretty strong flavors from all the oils. This is just what I've read though. Please let us know how it turns out.

I searched and couldn't find anything. I'm curious who has done it before? Someone? And how much did you use?

I have heard of people using coffee grounds too, I guess they settle into the trub. I never tried it though. I am curious to see how it turns out for you. I dont know who has done it but I remember reading the threads on it a couple times.

I'm just starting to drink my coffee oatmeal stout. I added two oz course ground Sumatra coffee at flame out and another two oz with a week left in primary. Because I used ground coffee, I filtered when I racked to the bottling bucket (paint strainer around the siphon.)
This stout has MASSIVE coffee aroma and flavor. Its at four weeks in the bottle so may still mellow out a bit, but right now that is the predominate flavor. If I did it again, I'd probably use whole beans or maybe crack them up a bit, but probably not ground.

This sounds awesome. My all time favorite Porter,Bert Grant's Perfect Porter, had a massive roasted coffee and chocolate aroma and taste. Sadly they don't make it anymore. Going to try to clone it this fall. Keep us posted on how yours turns out!

I brewed the Mr Beer Russian Imperial Stout which called for a cup of coarsely crushed espresso beans. The recipe is at the link below.

Smelled and tasted great at bottling time. I will be testing a cheater bottle after another week of carbonation.

Coffee and beer - what's not to like? :stout:

http://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/product_id/825/nm/Russian_Imperial_Stout1

"StatsnBrew" post=252114 said:

I brewed the Mr Beer Russian Imperial Stout which called for a cup of coarsely crushed espresso beans. The recipe is at the link below.

Smelled and tasted great at bottling time. I will be testing a cheater bottle after another week of carbonation.

I absolutely agree.
Did you keep the crushed beans in the fermenter, or did you remove them before pouring the wort?

"smgarrett" post=252141 said:

"StatsnBrew" post=252114 said:

I absolutely agree.
Did you keep the crushed beans in the fermenter, or did you remove them before pouring the wort?

I left both the hops and the beans in the fermenter in their respective hop sacks. Really looking forward to seeing how this will turn out.

I also just brewed the Russian Imperial Stout it calls for 6 to 7 months of conditioning though I've got a feeling I will be cheating and cracking a few bottles a little early.

Last night I tried this. I did a few liters with a variation at bottling. This was regular sticky wicket oatmeal stout, all I did in the LBK was add two ounces of vanilla caramel whole coffee beans. At bottling I added 2 oz of brewed coffee per liter and half brown sugar, half honey. It was OUTSTANDING. This is by far the best brew I have made. I will be making this one again.

Thanks for the update. Now I'm tempted to try adding an ounce of beans the next time I brew the St. Patrick's Irish Stout. About 13 years ago I sampled a Starbucks coffee stout that my local taphouse (Norfolk then) offered. It was just terrible, so I got it in my head that it was a bad idea to mix coffee and beer.

A couple of times I've crushed some whole coffee beans, put them in a hop sack, and let them stay in the fermenter for several weeks. There are a few Mr B recipes using this method in the archived recipes.... Check it out! Search>archived

One of my favorite beers is Founder's Breakfast Stout. It's a Double Chocolate Coffee Oatmeal Stout, 60 IBU's 8.3% ABV. I think that it's outstanding, too bad it's a seasonal. It's the reason that my first Mr Beer brew was the Eye Opener Sumatra Stout. It's been bottled for about 2 weeks.