Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
minimaliszt

Sour t-58?

1 can bewitched red ale + mellow amber, plus leftover wheat and amber dme
I wanted to try t-58. near explosive fermentation that almost ran too hot while I was gone during first day after pitching. dryhopped a few days ago using a hopsack I boiled for about 10 minutes. notable (but not unpleasant) sour/tart flavor 7 days in LBK. is this infected or just a flavor distinctive to this yeast (or just green)? the smells coming out of the fermenter have been wild and unpredictable, ranging from hops to peaches to bananas to rotten eggs to bananas again to combinations of the above to I don't know what. I've read it can have some sour flavors.

I think you are fine. If it was infected, you would absolutely know it. That yeast can certainly produce some estery and spicy flavors and aromas, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Leave it a bit longer...a total of 3 weeks in the LBK should be good with that amount of malt...and you'll be fine.

Don't worry about the smells. Yeast will produce all sorts of weird smells whilst fermenting. Soon you will grow to love them!

thanks... it's still a bit sweet, and I was planning to leave it till the 24th, and from what I can see through the massive grunge left from fermentation is a relatively clear surface with a few bubbles here and there. the smells are and have been nice, but the taste did surprise me...

T-58 has a distinctive flavor and that may be what you're tasting. It's often described as spicy and/or peppery. I think it works well in some styles, but if it's not what you were expecting, it may take a while to get used to it.

That's not unusual. Yeast produce a lot of flavors during fermentation that they later metabolize as things settle down. Sounds like you're making beer. B)

What everyone said - and it can leave a bit of citrusy tartness in the final beer, how noticable depends on how much malt you used and/or the types of malt.

I just tried a couple drops and it is already tasting pretty extraordinary. The tartness has mellowed and the simcoe hops I dryhopped is starting to come through, plus some esters and spicy flavors which I assume are from this yeast.

Fermentation is pretty magical.

Also, the recipe, for anyone who is interested:
Bewitched Red Ale
Mellow Amber
1.1# Wheat DME
1/2# Medium DME
3/4 cup honey
1 oz colombus (60, 30, 22, 7)
1 oz simcoe (22, 15, 7, DH)
Started out around 1.090. Fermented so wildly that about an oz or two oozed out the airlock and made a modest mess around the bottom.

and now it tastes like a strong blend of whisky and beer. high fusel content? it didn't taste that way last week.

Could be if your temps were all over the place. Also it cold be just that the alcahol ramped up as it finished fermenting. At 1.09, it's going to be pretty potent stuff, and is the kind of thing I'd bottle and ignore for 3+ months. In any case, those things will mellow out with some aging.

I used to make maple wine (mead made with maple syrup instead of honey). For the first 4 months it tasted like cheap cognac mixed with lighter fluid. At 6 months it tasted like burbon with a splash of maple syrup added. At a year it was luscious stuff.

I had a similar experience recently with T-58. I personally associate the sour taste with Lambic style beers. (I never caught the spicy/peppery notes most folks describe. It's just sour to me!)

So, I think that's just what this strain does. The sour note did subside significantly during 4 weeks carb/conditioning and it continues to fade over time. I left a few bottles out of the fridge to see what happens after another month or two.

If temperature swings could produce fusels, then that's probably what happened. I live in Toronto in a basement apartment, so it's a bit chilly down here (mid 50s and damp, usually), but there's an unplugged fridge down here and I've been putting the LBK in the freezer with a PET full of warm water. But this batch went wild on me and ramped up to (probably) well above 75F within 12 hours of pitching, so I had to throw on ice packs and leave it on the basement floor until it cooled down. Then I had to warm the freezer again. Then I was perving the freezer to make sure it hadn't made any more messes (like it did the first day). So yeah, it's been up and down...

I don't mind waiting.