Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Warjunkie

Gas issue?????

The most recent brew I have brewed was and old uncle Arnold without the 1 Can West Coast Pale Ale HME. Everyone loved it but they were all saying that they are bait gassy... I.e they burp a lot. Is this a carb problem? If so or if not how do I fix this. Is was perfect other than that.

I appreciate you wanting an answer...but there's really no need to post the same question 3 different times.

People will tend to your question. No need to get wierd with posting.

I meant to post once on this thread and once on another.
No need to get pissy with the response. I'm just excited.
Ps you didn't give me a answer other than you don't like how much I posted.

Were they drinking it straight from the bottle? Make sure to poor the beer into a glass and do not pour the trub at the bottom (yeast). It tends to make people gassy. If you leave the last quarter inch or so in the bottle you should be ok.

There is live yeast in every bottle, which is what carbs the beer - try pouring the beer into a glass, and save the last swallow or so (you can see the trub in that last little bit as an indicator on when to stop pouring)

Also, use a smooth technique when --- don't slosh it around in the bottle and try to pour from the same angle to keep from stirring the yeast/trub back into suspension

I think that you are really asking about carbination. If you used the recommended amounts of sugar from Mr.Beer then it is probably over carbed.

Gas from bottom end => probably from bottle trub
Gas from top end => use a bit less sugar and you won't be carbonated as highly

Just an FYI, whatever subject you post under shows up in the recent topics page, which is where most of us hang out, so we'll see it. :charlie: Welcome to the forum! :chug:

I have had gas and heartburn from my home brew also. I've tried to cut down on the amount of trub in the bottle and have a cleaner beer. A couple things that seem to help for me are.

Let it ferment for 3 weeks.
Cold crash for a couple days.
Batch prime so you have a second chance of catching any trub that slipped by.
Don't get greedy. Don't try to get that last bit of beer off the trub, or the last bit of the bottle. The last batch I bottled I lost at least 2 beers because a hop sack had sank in the trub and was starting to roll around and stir it up. I hated to lose the beer but I couldn't let the trub in.

Good luck with your brewing.

Thanks for all of the responses!!
Now that I look back on it I might have used too much sugar. I'll lay off a bit on the next batch. I've been pretty good about not drinking from the bottle and learned a thing or two about leaving alittle left in the bottle from this forum. Once again much appreciation for all of the positive help.

When using 12 ounce glass bottles Mr Beer says to use 3/4 teaspoon of sugar per bottle. Most people, myself included find Mr Beer's reccomendation to be too high. Most times, I use 1/2 teaspoon instead of 3/4 and my beers turn out just about right. Lowering the carbonation level will reduce the gassy burps you are experiencing.

"Warjunkie" post=252519 said:

I meant to post once on this thread and once on another.
No need to get pissy with the response. I'm just excited.
Ps you didn't give me a answer other than you don't like how much I posted.

I might comment on this tomorrow when I don't think your such a pekker head. You come here asking for advice, and then YOU get pissy when told to only ask it once. It's not often I get a bit upset by newbies on this forum, but your right up there. If you have a question, ask it. Once. We'll respond with what we know. But to turn around and get upset when we, or anyone, asks you to only post it once, well, yeah, I think your a little pissy yourself.

We're all excited when we start. We know that. We've been there. Why do you think we spend so much time here trying to help the Newbz?
Have you read the "stickies"? We put them there for a reason. Try reading them.
Congradulations: You've pissed off the NONG.

"yankeedag" post=252595 said:

Whoh dude, I don't think I've ever seen the nong pissed off before.

:popbeer:

Yeah I gotta side with Yank though. Warjunkie's response to Christ872 annoyed me as I was reading it as well.

"Warjunkie" post=252506 said:

The most recent brew I have brewed was and old uncle Arnold without the 1 Can West Coast Pale Ale HME. Everyone loved it but they were all saying that they are bait gassy... I.e they burp a lot. Is this a carb problem? If so or if not how do I fix this. Is was perfect other than that.

If you have too much yeast in the bottles and you drink a few bottles you could also end up with the squirts, it's like thunder from down under with a liquid finish. If you're as patient with your beer fermentation as you are with the folks on this forum, well you see where I'm going.

If you have too much trub in the bottle and you think that is causing the gas, go for cold crashing. I have found that I almost eliminated the bottle trub by doing so (on the recommendation of this forum) Just put fermenter in the fridge for a few days prior to bottling.... I don't use the LBK, but you should tilt it so the trub collects more towards the end away from the spigot.
RDWHAHB!!

"mashani" post=252615 said:

"yankeedag" post=252595 said:

Whoh dude, I don't think I've ever seen the nong pissed off before.

:popbeer:

Me either and I've asked and done some pretty f'd up things on here during the last year! :whistle:

I really don't think someone should get bitched out for not knowing how the system works and the first pissy reply was just that, pissy. A guy comes here for help and gets scolded for not knowing how to do it by someone who then doesn't help. I think tolerance could be higher on a beer forum.

I'm wondering if the looming tax deadline might be stressing folks out. I know it's a tough time for me. That's one of the pitfalls of having too much money. Sometimes I feel like just taking my entire $112 out of the bank and burying it in the backyard.

"The Pup" post=252715 said:

I really don't think someone should get bitched out for not knowing how the system works and the first pissy reply was just that, pissy. A guy comes here for help and gets scolded for not knowing how to do it by someone who then doesn't help. I think tolerance could be higher on a beer forum.

The Pup~

With all due respect, I DID answer his question. The problem is, I had just answered it not more than 10 minutes earlier on one of his other posts. The fact that the gentleman says I didn't answer him...was really the reason I posted what I did here...the fact that he could have 3 versions of the same answer going on in various places.

I believe I actually started my post appreciating the fact that he's eager to learn and understand. If he (or you) are reading something "pissy" into it...then I urge you to read it without bias or reading into it. I suspect that the Warjunkie took what I intended to be a helpful suggestion of etiquette as being unhelpful. Again...my help was in another one of the threads on the subject...actually not sure if the time frame shows...but it was 10 minutes before I posted and only about 5 minutes after yankeedag answered him here.

I don't have any ill-will against Warjunkie. It's not a big whoop. Just a simple matter of etiquette for a newer guy. My help on this subject was in one of his other topics on this subject.

http://community.mrbeer.com/forum/8-new-brewers-and-faqs/252122-screwed-to-perfection

sorry but it still seemed unnecessarily harsh to me, just my opinion. Teach through tolerance

Sounds like everyone's got their panties in a bunch... and all because someone got aggravated because someone else posted too many times. I thought this was an adult forum? Everyone need to RDWHAHB!

"Boe1971" post=252746 said:

Sounds like everyone's got their panties in a bunch... and all because someone got aggravated because someone else posted too many times. I thought this was an adult forum? Everyone need to RDWHAHB!

+1 It makes me sad. I see both sides, but what I'd really enjoy seeing is everyone being relaxed and happy. I see very good people in a bad mood. Moods can change. And you'll always be good people.

[edit] - I would hate to see a good thing ruined. There are some great veteran brewers here who are sharing their time and knowlege with us. I know that can be a frustrating task. I've probably disappointed some myself by not following their advice as much as I should have. But I hope like crazy I never made them feel like dirt in return for offering free help. This is such a good place, and I hope we can all get along. I'd like to be the first to apologize if I have ever offended anyone.

Joe~

Seriously, man...it ain't a big deal.

The borg is for answers and comraderie and such...I think everyone has helped Warjunkie with resolving his concern regarding the burps...and that's that.

Would be cool to just tend to that issue. Way too much beer to drink...waaaaaaay too little time........to continue with a side-issue.

Cool?

"Christ872" post=252751 said:

Joe~

Seriously, man...it ain't a big deal.

The borg is for answers and comraderie and such...I think everyone has helped Warjunkie with resolving his concern regarding the burps...and that's that.

Would be cool to just tend to that issue. Way too much beer to drink...waaaaaaay too little time........to continue with a side-issue.

Cool?

Of couse it's cool. I agree 100%.

Wow! Just got back from Capt Lawrence. I leave you guys for a few hours & this is what I find upon my return? Ha Ha. First of all I'm posting a pic of a brew I made a while back called Hous Bin Pharteen :laugh:
Then I'll leave an opinion on my next post.

Number 1 YD Rules. What he says goes. :borg:
Number 2 Christ is cool. He hangs out at Mad Fox. He is always right too.
Number 3 Pup is new, but he's cool too. Peace loving guy. Just trying to help.
Number 4 Boe is totally cool, also just a good guy trying to help.
Number 5 War whatever who started the whole thing is more excited than Tim Tebow. Got YD pissed. Obviously, a lively bloke. Let's give him a pass for over zealousness :huh: :cheers:
Number 6 Joe C is one crazy motherf'r. He cracks me up. :laugh:
How many TBM's did you buy? Did you add vanilla & banana extract? I love you - Give me your address so I can send you a prize. :barman:
Check out my new beer label. Cheers Brothers.

You don't tug on Superman's cape
You don't spit into the wind
You don't pull the mask off that old Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim, da do da do...

da do da do... = obviously code for DON'T PISS OFF THE NONG!!!

Way to bring everyone down off the ledge Beerlabelman. :cheer:
I'm going to RDWHAHB and chill out. "We are the World....."
:gulp:

WOOF! New Day, new brew. I'm getting off the short bus now. There is beer to be made and drank. Hum...just wondering if telling someone to "suck trub" is bad.. Bwahahaha.. not saying that to anyone.. just askin.
:borg:

"The Pup" post=252768 said:

Way to bring everyone down off the ledge Beerlabelman. :cheer:
I'm going to RDWHAHB and chill out. "We are the World....."
:gulp:

Pup all you need is a few more posts & you'll get some free labels too. :party:

"Beerlabelman" post=252771 said:

YD - Texas Brewers are Rebel Brewers. :cheers:

There is that... :borg: :chug: :shoot: :banana:
just can't seem to kill banana man...dang! must be wearing kevlar

Oh, I forgot to add this label I use when giving home brews to friends & family. It ties right into the gas issue. Never drink bottle conditioned home brew straight from the bottle! :barman:

Well sorry you got pissed. I asked nicely.. Explained my position and then was berated instead of helped. His snappy ego filled response and air of elitism turned me off to this forum. I have since moved on from mr beer and am brewing regularly between deployments. Thanks for all of the people who had positive responses

So everyone apologized and made nice except you. You've decided you're done with Mr. Beer and you've moved on.

Good riddance, I say.

Stay classy.

Guest System Admin

Why anyone would go digging for an almost 8 month old post just to stir up sh*t is beyond me.

He's on my IGNORE list.