Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Billbofet

To those contemplating a bottling wand - DO IT!!!

Hello all,

Just recently I converted my three spigots over to the newer locking style and ordered a bottling wand at that point to help justify the insane shipping fee.

I used the wand for the first time today bottling up my Billingham Stout and man did I like it. I was firing off bottle after bottle and seemed like I finished in about 1/2 the time. Also, without the hand cramp holding down the old spigot to fill and having to tilt the bottle just so, I'm in love.

This probably is a lame post to those with much more experience than me, but if I can just get one person to feel the improvement I have, just one, then I've done my part.

"packerduf" post=252588 said:

[attachment=7750]Thumbsup.jpg[/attachment]

+1 Know the feeling.

Guest System Admin

+1. I bottled tonite. Thankfully, I have a bottling wand.

I'm just happy that they don't have the same suicidal tendencies as hydrometers, or I'd be left w/o a paddle.

+1 more for the wand. You're so right about holding your finger down on the old spigot being a pain. Plus once you get the hang of just when to stop and pull the wand out, it's easier to control the flow. It's a great investment for a little cost. I got mine at LHBS for under $3, and swung by on my way to work, so gas or shipping was nothing. But definitely use the 5/16" tubing instead of 3/8" for tight connection.

A bottling wand definitely speeds up the process.

I'd say batch priming does, as well, but from what I understand, the dedicated bottle primers contend that it's an extra step in the process (although they don't seem to think putting sugar in individual bottles is 24 extra steps), and they have their process down smoothly. To each his own, said the old woman as she kissed her cow.

But the bottling wand recommendation is like a hydrometer recommendation: this is an inexpensive piece of equipment that, once you start using it, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.

Go buy one, sez The Hat.

If you're only doing 8 bottles, I guess the extra step of priming could be considered a hassle but I like the fact that all my beers are carbed the same.
I actually find the wand faster than the spigot and less aeration. Plus, from what I hear, the new spigots that came out are crap and break easy. I assume the more you use the spigot, the sooner it will break.

beer-lord, bottling want without spigot? are you using a siphon?

All,
Is there an easy to find alternative to the mr beer locking spigot that can be used with a bottling wand? I'm just not going to take any chances with mr beer's NEW cheap crappy locking spigot. I hate to see one drop of my sweet nectar hit the floor. I don't know what I'd do if I found the spigot cracked and lost a whole keg!

Yes, I almost always use a siphon with the want attached but for some of my LBK to bottle, I siphon to another LBK to prime, then use the wand and the spigot I purchased from ebay to bottle. The ebay spigots I got seem to be much more durable.

I've used the previous locking spigot wand combo assembly since it was introduced, I had good service with that and I liked it.

Now I using the newer spigot and wand assembly, at this point I like the newer spigot, but I havent bottled any beer yet using this. Since I have all of my fermenters (LBK's) mounted with this type spigot, I will be bottleing a few batches this month, to try it out. I believe they will serve me well.

"Gluek" post=252664 said:

beer-lord, bottling want without spigot? are you using a siphon?

All,
Is there an easy to find alternative to the mr beer locking spigot that can be used with a bottling wand? I'm just not going to take any chances with mr beer's NEW cheap crappy locking spigot. I hate to see one drop of my sweet nectar hit the floor. I don't know what I'd do if I found the spigot cracked and lost a whole keg!

Get a slimline and batch prime. The spigot on the slimline is trustworthy (haven't heard of one failing) and it's a locking spigot that the bottling wand will fit. Some have had to take a drill bit and by hand widen the opening a little, but some (like me) have not had to do this at all.

EDIT: You can pick up a 2.5 gallon slimline at just about any wal-mart for around $7.00.

I love me some wand! It's been great and I've had no trouble with the MB spigot (thx to BugLaden for sending me one after our meet up!)

I batch prime, so I rack to a secondary LBK - leave the trub behind!

I find that the old spigots are like when I had my first nentendo, I find my self pushing that dang button way too hard and my thumb just hurts like heck. Have been careful with the new spigots and no problems at all. The bottling wand rocks! I have been using domino sugar cubes which I have found are slightly over 1/2 tsp and they are fast and easy. Just my two cents

My favorite use for the slimline....I put my sanitizer in it and it keeps it fresh a long time

I have the new spigot on all my LBK's and have bottled several batches with it and no problems. I ferment in 3 LBK's and batch prime into my fourth. So what is happening with the new spigot?

"stevecon" post=252827 said:

I have the new spigot on all my LBK's and have bottled several batches with it and no problems. I ferment in 3 LBK's and batch prime into my fourth. So what is happening with the new spigot?

It breaks easily if it's over tightened and it's easy to over tighten.

Personally, I prefer it to the old locking spigot (which I preferred to the old standard spigot).

Guest System Admin

"bpgreen" post=252831 said:

"stevecon" post=252827 said:

It breaks easily if it's over tightened and it's easy to over tighten.

Personally, I prefer it to the old locking spigot (which I preferred to the old standard spigot).

I don't jack em up, I get it snug then about a 1/4 turn to 1/2 turn at most. I've found that over doing it makes them leak.

I did my first couple batches without a wand, that was enough. Besides creating less aeration, it just makes the process faster and more accurate. I haven't noticed the spigots being that weak, but then again I try not to tighten the hell out of them either.

Just bought a wand but haven't used it yet. What's the best way to sanitize it before bottling?

"JR" post=254263 said:

Just bought a wand but haven't used it yet. What's the best way to sanitize it before bottling?

What kind of sanitizer do you use?

If I'm using Star San, I use a spray bottle and give the inside a couple of sprizes, hit the end to drain it, then spray the outside. If I'm using One Step, I fill a bottle, stick the wand in and fill it, then drain it out the top.

I've always used the Mr. Beer No-Rinse Cleanser.

"JR" post=254263 said:

JR,
What I found that works for me is to fill up the hydrometer tube with sanitizer and drop the wand in there. Press the valve to fill it up with sanitizer and leave a minute. Then turn it around and let the other half that stuck out of the tube fill up and soak for a minute also.

I also just read in a thread here recently that the tip of the wand unscrews and you can soak the spring and gasket and plunger in sanitizer separately for even better cleaning.

I used the wand and the new locking spigot for the first time tonight. I only used it to rack to a secondary, but found it was easier to sanitize and use then the tubing I used on my last batch. I thought it was pretty cool.