Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
aces 2

yeast/hop storage

My LHBS is quite a drive. I have ordered from them by mail before,just DME`s and some hops for a recipe that I was doing right away. My question is if I order some extra hops and dry yeasts from them for future recipes,how long could I store them and what would be the best way? Thanks

Hops in the freezer for about a year and yeast in the fridge for about the same.

"DesreveR" post=252631 said:

Hops in the freezer for about a year and yeast in the fridge for about the same.

+1 on the hops. As far as yeast goes - you need to look at the Use By date on the yeast. Liquid yeast in particular needs to be used within a couple months of manufacture date for best results. Keep the yeast in the fridge and don't freeze it.

"russki" post=252639 said:

"DesreveR" post=252631 said:

+1 on the hops. As far as yeast goes - you need to look at the Use By date on the yeast. Liquid yeast in particular needs to be used within a couple months of manufacture date for best results. Keep the yeast in the fridge and don't freeze it.

I agree with that, yeast tends to degrade pretty quickly. as with the hops too they will lose some of there properties over time as well.

I have a vac u sealer, and I find that if I seal them and put them under a vacuum they keep very well in the fridge.