Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Tugg-C

HME & UME Shelf Life

I've just started brewing with Mr. Beer, two batches down, the Pale Ale that comes with the kit and the Czech Pislner (both turned out better than my expectations, too!). So now I'm hooked, and thinking about placing a big order to last me a few months. I was wondering what the shelf life on the cans of HME and UME was. It'll still be good 2 or 3 months down the road, right? But the yeast should be put in the fridge (or freezer?) for storage? Thanks for the help!!

The cans should be good until 2013 or 2014 for the ones you buy these days. And yes to your yeast comment. I stick em in the freezer with my packets of hops for safe-keeping not that you have to. Welcome to the Borg, my friend, and Hoppy Brewing. :cheers:

Guest System Admin

When ever I buy yeast or get yeast with Mr. Beer kits I remove all the yeast packets and place in the butter drawer in the fridge door

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Centere Tugg-C. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: we have Beer. ...and so will you.
You might want to order another Keg or Two.. you'll want them down the road anyway. And it will help you build up your pipe line.
Welcome to the BeerBorg.

"T8r Salad" post=252689 said:

And yes to your yeast comment. I stick em in the freezer with my packets of hops for safe-keeping not that you have to.

Hops go in the freezer - yeast goes in the fridge. It is not recommended to freeze dry yeast, and you will kill liquid yeast if you freeze it.