Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Violator

Mold in bottles?

I just realized that some of the bottles that I had set aside for bottling day have some mold in them. They are just regular 12oz beer bottles from various brewers. I was going to soak them to get the labels off when I noticed the mold. I'm sure the safe thing to do would just toss them out. But time and money are issues with my beer ready to bottle and trying to stay on budget. Is there a way to save these bottles? I'm not sure if a soaking in bleach is a good idea or not or should I just boil them for a while. Any help on this would great. Thanks!

Go to your local home brewing stoe and buy some StarSan or go to Walgreens and get a pack of OXYCLEAN. This willdo the trick...

+1 on the Oxyclean, but get the Oxyclean free.(no dye or perfume) Soak them a bit and use a bottle brush, then sanitize...no worries

Oxyclean (or suitable substitute) hot water, bottle brush, yer good. then sanitize. Just learn to rinse your bottles after use and you should not have that problem again

Thanks for the replies. I was going to soak them in Oxyclean to get the labels off anyways. Now I'm thinking to give them a good rinse and scrub with some hot water and then an overnight soak in the Oxyclean to kill 2 birds with one stone. I'll get the labels off and get rid of the mold too. Sound like a plan?

"yankeedag" post=252786 said:

good plan.. scrub with bottle brush after the soak

But only if they're glass bottles. Don't use a brush on plastic bottles.

"bpgreen" post=252821 said:

"yankeedag" post=252786 said:

good plan.. scrub with bottle brush after the soak

But only if they're glass bottles. Don't use a brush on plastic bottles.

:borg: Most correct BP. Brushes will leave micro scrates in the PET Style bottles allowing for Beer Goobers to grow. Once there, they will hide from sanitizers making your efforts to remove them quite impossible.